Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Powerpoint from Mac to PC

Powerpoint from Mac to PC
Asun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 01:11 AM

From Keynote I have exported to Powerpoint. Finding that sound and some videos don't play, I edit the presentation with Mac Office X Powerpoint so that it runs smooth. I then SAVE AS a Powerpoint Package in an attempt to have all audio and vidie files together. When I ask my Mac Powerpoint to open and play the slideshow all works well. I then put this data on a memory stick or CD and give it to a PC user with Powerpoint 2003.

This is where the problems are. Slides transitions are not predicable, movies don't play, slide builds are not accurate etc. basically unusable.

I have been hesitant to purchase the new Mac 2004 Powerpoint thinking it might not work either.

Suggestions and guidance will be appreciated.
ASUN
( Last edited by Asun; May 15, 2007 at 01:18 AM. Reason: mis spelling)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 01:19 AM

Do they need it as a powerpoint show? Can you export it as a pdf or something?
You could also try Open Office.

Asun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 02:25 AM

They prefer Powerpoint and the ability to jump back to a particular slide.

Exporting to Quicktime has been our best results yet. But again Quicktime with PC just isn't as smooth nor as easy to navigate.

I Will try Open Office.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 11:09 AM

The problem is two fold. Keynote is sweet. It contains a lot of things that Powerpoint cannot really do.
Secondly, Powerpoint has different versions, they don't get along. If you have a very complex presentation (which it sounds like you do) then you should output to some other format like PDF or qt.

Naplander
Senior User
May 15, 2007, 12:29 PM

exporting from one piece of software to another and then to another platform is rarely going to be seamless. I often make presentations in Keynote, and export out to PowerPoint for my PC friends.

Rarely is it trouble free. What we do to get around this is to check the file in ppt in Windows, and fix any errors in that version (which is normally the final version)

I have impressed many collegues and clients with Keynote. Those transistions especially

Keynote blows PPT out of the water IMO.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Macanoid
Senior User
May 15, 2007, 01:02 PM

The easiest way, I found, is exporting slides to images (preferred format: Tiff) - make sure you select 'create image for each stage of builds. Open a new empty document in Keynote, and drag images into the 'navigator bar'. When done, export again to PowerPoint. It'll play flawlessly. Only thing missing is transitions. A big minus, sure, but not as bad as a crappy looking conversion.

Btw, be sure the document size of the two keynote-files match. And also not that my method does not support embedded movies and/or hyperlinks. You need to add these at a later stage.

Asun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 10:42 PM

QT does work well, though can't move to specific slide easily.
( Last edited by Asun; May 15, 2007 at 10:51 PM. )

Asun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 01:26 AM

It appears all Audio will be lost too. Is this correct?

bc130
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 06:59 AM

Would it be possible to take the keynote presentation and burn to DVD then play on a DVD player? Just wondering because I'm going to be in the same boat.

Naplander
Senior User
May 16, 2007, 07:02 AM

the only way to be absolutely sure it will work as intended is to export to ppt, then open this ppt in Windows and fix any anomolies there.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Asun View Post
It appears all Audio will be lost too. Is this correct?
Not lost, but exported to a separate file. Nobody knows why.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Would it be possible to take the keynote presentation and burn to DVD then play on a DVD player? Just wondering because I'm going to be in the same boat.
Yes, this will work.

jasong
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 12:24 PM

I wonder if opening the exported keynote file in powerpoint and doing a save as . . . in powerpoint and sending that file along would work. I've exported stuff from keynote before and then used it on Windows without too much difficulty before. The biggest issue I seem to remember is some rotated images appeared in their unrotated forms (ie upside down).
-- Jason

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 12:29 PM

The main problem is that powerpoint blows. Apple should make a free 'keynote viewer' app for windows.

Asun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 02:05 AM

SUCCESS!! Listen up. As you remember my PC user friends wanted to able to jump to particular slides in the presentation. I had orginally exported in full quality to Quicktime, PC play Quicktime rather well slide timing was alittle off though and they didn't like not being able to jump between slides, if need be after they had made the presentation and were in a Q&A session.

I HAVE ABANDONED THE IDEA OF TRYING TO USE POWERPOINT.

Steps I have used;
from Keynote Export to Quicktime in full Quality.
Drag the Quicktime Movie to iMovie. (this take time, more so on Power PC Macs)
Use iMovie to polish your presentation. Adjust timing (add some time by inserting a
still frame if needed) or shorten by cutting out small clips.
Adjust volume levels, add sounds if need be.
Once your confortable with the pace of the presentation, INSERT CHAPTER MARKERS,
Keep names short and to the point. Add as many as you like, think where you might
want to jump to, if you have questions from the audiance.
(I ended up with 20 Chapter Markers)
FROM iMOVIE export or share to QUICKTIME, use CD format, NOT FULL QUALITY.
If you use FULL QUALITY, the picture is good BUT chapter markers do not tranfer.
this is why I exported to CD format.
THE resulting .MOV can be viewed on both MAC;s and PC's using either QT or iTunes.
The chapter markers menu will pop up when you click the icon RIGHT of the PLAY buttons on iTunes and Quicktime.

It WORKS how clever, To date the picture quality is better on my MAC ( to be expected)

I will be experimenting with the EXPERT SETTING on Quicktime EXPORT to see if I can find a higher resolution that still has the chapter markers.

Have Fun!! Do remember to have the newest Quicktime, iTunes and iMovie on your Mac.

As you can imagine I'm happy and less stressed.

YES YES you can export this .MoV to a iDVD and DVD.

Exporting to Full Quality drops the chapter markers,
Thanks to Karl Petersen and his instructions on how to do it.

ASUN
( Last edited by Asun; May 21, 2007 at 03:03 AM. Reason: added a bit more)

Forum Links
Forum Rules