Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Exchange on iPhone, but not SL?

Exchange on iPhone, but not SL?
jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2009, 08:16 PM

Why am I able to connect my iPhone to my company exchange system, but not Snow Leopard? I thought they were using the same system. Come to think of it, I can even get Entourage to connect to my Exchange system, but not Mail/iCal/Address Book . . .

Any help?
-- Jason

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2009, 08:19 PM

Either your companies exchange server is not set up correctly, or you are doing something wrong.

Both, the iPhone and SL should be able to connect. Are you sure you got your settings right ?

-t

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2009, 08:47 PM

iPhones can connect to Exchange 2003 servers. Snow Leopard can only connect to Exchange 2007 servers.

iPhones use ActiveSync to connect to Exchange. I haven't seen it documented but I'm assuming Snow Leopard uses Exchange Web Services which requires Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 Update Rollup 4.
Vandelay Industries

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2009, 02:13 PM

Art, that seems to be the word from my IT group. I got Exchange over IMAP working, but I was really hoping to get my calendar into iCal much more than I care about my email.

Does anyone know if I can get iCal to read the exchange IMAP folder "calendar" which has all my calendar events in it?
-- Jason

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2009, 01:46 AM

I have the same issue. My iPhone connects to and reads the Global Address List at work, but Snow Leopard's Mail won't.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2009, 05:29 PM

I can connect to my work using my iPhone but in SL as soon as I ask Mail to set up the account it crashes the application. God only knows what my company has done with Exchange that they can do this to my Mac!

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2009, 01:55 AM

The two are very different technologies. MS is really pushing EWS over Exchange ActiveSync because EWS is far more expandable than ActiveSync. As someone who has been working on Exchange sync myself with both AS and EWS, EWS is by far the nicer solution. But it has two major deficiencies:
1) No push - that's one thing Exchange AS does well.
2) Requires newer Exchange.

Forum Links
Forum Rules