Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal publishing question

iCal publishing question
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 12:26 AM

Quick question:
If I publish my calendar to the web, can I edit it or add entries from the web-site?

(Or is the web-site read-only?)

... or ...

Can I sync my iCal with my PocketPC?? (Compaq iPaq?)

Thanks in advance.

MusicMan
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2002, 02:32 AM

Short answer: No.

Less short answer: Not now.

Apple's .Mac iCal system is purely for viewing one calendar at a time over the web. iCal publishes a vCalendar file (an open standard) to the .Mac website. Apple's web calendar reads that file. If you were to make changes online, they would be overwritten the next time you made a change in iCal itself.

I'm working on a similar web-based calendar viewing system, and I considered allowing editing, but I have no way to save information back to the iCal app. If you subscribe to a calendar you are also publishing, you get overlapping duplicates. (I just tried it. Crazy.) That kind of editing would require a syncronization system of some kind.

Which brings me to your second question: can you sync iCal with a PocketPC or iPaq? Not yet...but I'm almost positive that will be one of the many applications of iSync (http://www.apple.com/isync/).
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

http://www.danielbergey.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules