Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook "Being Reviewed" Status...How long?

Powerbook "Being Reviewed" Status...How long?
djmpower
Nov 9, 2002, 02:48 PM

How long should I expect my Powerbook to be in the being reviewed status?

I placed my order for a 1ghz/SuperDrive really late on Wednesday night through the Student ADC Program. Does the ADC program make it sit in the being reviewed status longer? Anything I can do to speed it up?

Thanks for the help.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2002, 03:37 PM

I'm in the same situation as you, except I ordered my 1GHz SuperDrive yesterday morning. I have no idea what their process is with ADC Student orders. I do know that they have the right to request a copy of your student ID and your course schedule to verify that you are a student taking developer related courses.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2002, 03:40 PM

Yo, explain to me how the ADC student thing works. I have one of those free ADC student memberships- does that entitle me to discounts on Apple products?
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

remohomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 03:49 PM

I ordered about 6am PST 6-Nov and mine cleared the next day. Education order.
Good luck!

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2002, 04:11 PM

Yes, with the $99 student account, you get one free discount per lifetime. There is no free student account unless you got it as a gift.

I ordered via regular developer hardware discount Wednesday afternoon and it's also still sitting there at "Being Reviewed"

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2002, 05:02 PM

Ordered mine yesterday morning with ADC student and it, too is still being reviewed. Hopefully by Monday it will move along to the next stage.

remohomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
Yes, with the $99 student account, you get one free discount per lifetime. There is no free student account unless you got it as a gift.

I ordered via regular developer hardware discount Wednesday afternoon and it's also still sitting there at "Being Reviewed"
My understanding is that it is one (discounted hardware item) per academic year (i.e. 1 PB, 1 iMac). This was from the Apple Website. You can find this if you select the education link on the Apple Store homepage.

Sorry, this refers to the straight education discount--but you might want to check that out anyway. That one is 1 per academic year.
( Last edited by remohomer; Nov 9, 2002 at 05:25 PM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2002, 06:01 PM

Unfortunately, the individual education discount is nowhere near as good as the ADC discount. $2859 vs. $2379 for a 1GHz SuperDrive w/ 1GB RAM 60GB HD.

aplmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 06:14 PM

True, ADC discount isn't as good as the educational. It is a one time deal for a CPU purchase in lifetime of account (as student), where educational you can buy a new computer yearly.

As for the wait, I won't be surprised that you won't be going to the next stage until a week or two. Apple has been swamped with new orders this past week, and will probably continue to have plenty of business the next couple of weeks. Remember, they have to confirm you are truely eligible to the ADC discount, and only then will your order go in. You might have to wait a couple of weeks longer (mid december) before you get your computer, but you did save several hundred dollars. Can't have the cake and eat it too...

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2002, 06:40 PM

Do they actually call you school or something (for ADC?) I mean, I am a student (TCU)...just curious how they go about verifying it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by kiskiboy:
Do they actually call you school or something (for ADC?) I mean, I am a student (TCU)...just curious how they go about verifying it.
In the terms and conditions page for Student ADC members, they mention that they may request a copy of a student id and developer-related course schedule.

aplmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 06:50 PM

From the apple web site:

1. Sign up online with the Apple Developer Connection for U.S. $99.
2. After agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, you must identify yourself as a student, fill in your student identification number, and write in your School Name on the "Your Information" page. To be eligible for the ADC Student Program, you must be currently enrolled as a part-time or full-time student at a college or university, have a student identification number, and be at least 18 years of age.

3. Purchase the Student Developer Program. You will receive an e-mail welcoming you to the Apple Developer Connection.

Your Membership benefits will begin as soon as your purchase has cleared. Please allow up to 4 weeks for delivery of your first ADC Student Orientation Kit.

In the past (as of last year, since I got a phone call from apple), they usually contacted the individual for their ID number and a fax of their course schedule showing they are taking computer courses. The idea is for people to become developers for Apple software, and not for English majors or Business majors who just want a cheap computer.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2002, 07:42 PM

Here are some more specifics from the Student ADC Hardware Discount page.

Please be sure you are adhering to the Terms and Conditions before ordering. In addition, we request that students fax a copy of student identification AND proof of current class registration in developer-related courses. Apple reserves the right to refuse access to this offer by non-students and/or non-developers.

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 07:50 PM

As of yesterda afternoon, there are over 140 PB orders for ADC alone and growing according to an ADC sales rep. They are in the process of going through each one of those orders and it will take a little time. I ordered mine on 11/8 in the morning and its now on "being assembled"

djmpower  (op)
Nov 9, 2002, 07:51 PM

Does a Computer Science Class comply with the developer related course restriction?

My specific course is: Computer Science 302

I would think that would meet the requirement as it is a direct computer science related course...just wanted to make sure.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2002, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by djmpower:
Does a Computer Science Class comply with the developer related course restriction?

My specific course is: Computer Science 302

I would think that would meet the requirement as it is a direct computer science related course...just wanted to make sure.
IMHO, that wouldn't cut it. I think you would need to be in a developer related degree or at least several developer related courses. However, I have no idea. They might not even check.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by jambajooz:
As of yesterda afternoon, there are over 140 PB orders for ADC alone and growing according to an ADC sales rep. They are in the process of going through each one of those orders and it will take a little time. I ordered mine on 11/8 in the morning and its now on "being assembled"
Are you a student member or a regular select or premier member? I'm a student member and order mine 11/8 in the morning too, but still show as "Being Reviewed."

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2002, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:

Are you a student member or a regular select or premier member? I'm a student member and order mine 11/8 in the morning too, but still show as "Being Reviewed."
Ditto. If I just have to re-order it through the regular EDU channel, then so be it. I'll give it a few more days though. I mean, they didn't provide me with a fax number to send anything to when I ordered; you would think if they really wanted that they would tell you as soon as you place your order. I have not received an email or telephone call asking for it either. I realize they say they "request" the onformation be faxed on the page linked above, but even that doesn't give you any specific number to send it to.

We'll just have to see what happens I guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules