Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Zero percent battery instantly, refuses to charge

Zero percent battery instantly, refuses to charge
Cellery
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 05:56 PM

The strangest thing happened today on my TiBook 667 (VGA) running 10.2.3. I was using it last night and shut it off while plugged in, as usual. When I woke it and myself up this morning the battery percentage in the menubar was at 0%. It's like the battery lost all of its charge overnight, but the machine was off and it was plugged into a UPS.

Now it's stuck at 0% and refuses to charge. The light on the battery isn't lighting up like it usually does, and the adapter ring is glowing green. I couldn't find anything similar in a forum search, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the heck happened.

The first thing I tried was resetting the Power Manager, but that did no good..

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Cellery:
The strangest thing happened today on my TiBook 667 (VGA) running 10.2.3. I was using it last night and shut it off while plugged in, as usual. When I woke it and myself up this morning the battery percentage in the menubar was at 0%. It's like the battery lost all of its charge overnight, but the machine was off and it was plugged into a UPS.

Now it's stuck at 0% and refuses to charge. The light on the battery isn't lighting up like it usually does, and the adapter ring is glowing green. I couldn't find anything similar in a forum search, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the heck happened.

The first thing I tried was resetting the Power Manager, but that did no good..
This might be worth a look:
http://www.macintouch.com/pbg4reader15.html

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 07:23 PM

Same thing happened to me. I plugged an Apple keyboard/Mouse into the USB and the screen went dark and the machine shut down. Finally got it booted back up and noticed that the battery would not charge. It would glow green and always say "calculating" no matter what. Well I finally got the new battery (should have had it a week ago but someone at Apple screwed up and put the wrong address on it, and I could not get a tracking number until yesterday because of "system mainenence.") Anyway, the new battery was inserted, and the power cord glowed orange again! It took FOREVER to start charging the battery, so long in fact I was on the phone with Apple about to send the machine back in when it started charging. It took quite a while to charge, but after it charged I unplugged the machine and ran the battery down, and I am recharging it as I type this, so it is apparently working (and charging faster this time). So, I would try and get a new battery.
Oh, hitting the reset button did nothing, and command-option-p-r did nothing either. The Hardware test CD revealed no problems either. Only the new battery worked.
On a related note I have lost power on several occasion unexplicably from the AC adapter, and without a working battery the machine would just shut down. I had to unplug the adapter from both the wall and the machine to get it back in working order. I have two AC adapters and am using the three pronged atatchment on both, and have had this problem with each adapter.

Hope that is any kind of help. If you have AppleCare they should send a new battery out to you ASAP. I wonder if the 10.2.3 upgrade had anything to do with this. Hopefully the new battery would solve your problem, and if they get your address right you should have it in 2-3 days (mine went from CA to TX in 2 days, I should have had it on the 28th but becasue Apple screwed up and their system was down I had to wait it out for a week.
Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules