Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power adapter weirdness...

Power adapter weirdness...
juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 02:32 PM

I've noticed that my PB (and my iBook for that matter... happens more frequently on the ibook in fact) does something strange when I leave it plugged in for a long time (multiple hours).

If I'm not actually using the machine, eventually the power adapter will turn itself off (no charging the machine... power is killed). This doesn't bother me so much in sleep mode, but I have my machine set to sleep after a while when it's on battery (as most do). The problem is, sometimes my power adapter turns off while the machine is on... if it's relatively idle.

So, if I leave my machine on all night say, downloding a very large (cd image) file... it might quit after a few hours because the power turned off, the machine thinks it's running on battery and puts itself to sleep eventually.

After my adapter (both of mine do it) does this, I have to physically unplug it from the wall and re-plug it in (plugging/unplugging from the PB end doesn't do it) to make it turn back on (light lit up, batter charging).

Anyone know of a way to fix this... or why this happens for that matter? Is this there for a reason and does it mean I should start just running my PB on battery until it dies and then recharge, rather than leaving it plugged in all the time?

Thanks,

Alex
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 02:39 PM

That�s a rather unusual behavior. I never experienced anything like this (Ti 667 DVI). Your �book is not meant to always run on battery, it should do well with the power adaptor. Take it to the dealer, then try it with a known-good adaptor there and maybe have it replaced.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

juanpacolopez  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
That�s a rather unusual behavior. I never experienced anything like this (Ti 667 DVI). Your �book is not meant to always run on battery, it should do well with the power adaptor. Take it to the dealer, then try it with a known-good adaptor there and maybe have it replaced.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the wiring in my apartment... because the adapter for my TiBook is new (came with, obviously)... as is the adapter for my iBook (I replaced it not 3 months ago... and it happened as soon as I got it.

Since it's happened w/ 3 different power adapters on 2 separate computers I can't help but wonder if it is a wiring thing. When my ibook power adapter blew, I thought this problem had something to do with it (turns out the power adapters aren't terribly reliable, or so the Apple Store folks told me)... but on taking my iBook to the local Apple store to see the Genius, he said as far as he could tell my machine was functionally FINE.

Maybe I should start a poll and see how many (if any) others are having this problem. If it's the wiring in my place, I can just go buy a cheap UPS, problem solved.
Alex

-----

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 02:47 PM

Mine does the same thing.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 05:27 PM

Mine did the same thing. I say did, because it eventually stopped working all together and had to have it replaced under warranty.

Apple support promised me that they would have a new one sent out next day. When the next day came around I called them, they told me it was on backorder. Gee thanks for letting me know. Needless to say I went and bought a second one. The apple replacement finally showed up after 2 weeks.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
I've noticed that my PB (and my iBook for that matter... happens more frequently on the ibook in fact) does something strange when I leave it plugged in for a long time (multiple hours).

If I'm not actually using the machine, eventually the power adapter will turn itself off (no charging the machine... power is killed). This doesn't bother me so much in sleep mode, but I have my machine set to sleep after a while when it's on battery (as most do). The problem is, sometimes my power adapter turns off while the machine is on... if it's relatively idle.

So, if I leave my machine on all night say, downloding a very large (cd image) file... it might quit after a few hours because the power turned off, the machine thinks it's running on battery and puts itself to sleep eventually.

After my adapter (both of mine do it) does this, I have to physically unplug it from the wall and re-plug it in (plugging/unplugging from the PB end doesn't do it) to make it turn back on (light lit up, batter charging).

Anyone know of a way to fix this... or why this happens for that matter? Is this there for a reason and does it mean I should start just running my PB on battery until it dies and then recharge, rather than leaving it plugged in all the time?

Thanks,

Alex
Same problem here. I've had the same problem with a Ti 1GHz and a 17". It has happened in several outlets on both units. Apple has a knowledge base about this problem: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=32155
This seems ridiculous considering this is 2 models over a year without a real fix. I see sooner or later a replacement not unlike several other Powerbook adapter. To AppleCare's credit they have replaced a couple of the adapters without a problem, but I finally just bought a Igo Juice and have not had a problem since.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

juanpacolopez  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by mgehman:
Same problem here. I've had the same problem with a Ti 1GHz and a 17". It has happened in several outlets on both units. Apple has a knowledge base about this problem: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=32155
This seems ridiculous considering this is 2 models over a year without a real fix. I see sooner or later a replacement not unlike several other Powerbook adapter. To AppleCare's credit they have replaced a couple of the adapters without a problem, but I finally just bought a Igo Juice and have not had a problem since.
Here's a quote from the KB article:
Additional information

This symptom occurs because the AC adapter's over voltage protection feature senses ground noise and turns off the adapter. It may not happen if the power adapter is plugged into an uninterruptible power supply (UPS).
So it would seem that a UPS is the correct answer after all. Doesn't surprise me that there would be ground noise in my apartment... they really need to re-do the wiring (electrical and phone alike), getting DSL was a bitch.

I can't help but wonder if that's what did in my old iBook power adapter.

Anyone have recommendations for a (as small as possible, I'm short on space) UPS?

Thanks for the KB link!
Alex

-----

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 07:48 PM

I have the same annoying problem.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 08:03 PM

Must be something they introduced in the revised power adapter (white plug instead of grey, grounding pin, green/orange lights slightly lighter in colour, etc). My PowerBook 800DVI has never had this problem - however the 1GHz 15" PowerBook I had for a few months and my 17" PowerBook both once or twice a week suddenly receive no power from the adapter. Unplugging the power adapter from the PowerBook does not solve it, unplugging the power adapter from the wall and plugging it back in does.

Given this new style adapter is the first one to have a grounding pin, it sounds entirely likely they've added some sort of leakage/noise detection - but it's a real pain. It never happens whilst the PowerBook in asleep (I never shut my beast down, so it sleeps a lot) - it's when walk away for a while to do something, come back and notice the power/charge light is not lit and the menu bar showing a few hours of power left. As I said, maybe once or twice a week...

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 09:29 PM

Make sure the "duckheads" in your adapters are correct.

Meaning, the little square part with prongs that you can detach and slides in and out of the adapter.

Although the iBook duckhead looks the same as the Powerbook duckhead, they're actually different; the iBook duckhead will fit into the Powerbook AC adapter -- but it won't power up the same because the iBook requires less power.

Notice the difference between the two adapters and make sure your duckheads are correct and on the correct AC adapters.

juanpacolopez  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Make sure the "duckheads" in your adapters are correct.

Meaning, the little square part with prongs that you can detach and slides in and out of the adapter.

Although the iBook duckhead looks the same as the Powerbook duckhead, they're actually different; the iBook duckhead will fit into the Powerbook AC adapter -- but it won't power up the same because the iBook requires less power.

Notice the difference between the two adapters and make sure your duckheads are correct and on the correct AC adapters.
How can you tell the difference?

Thanks,
Alex

-----

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 12:15 AM

Look at them.

The iBook duckhead has two V indentations -- one on top and one on bottom.

The Powerbook duckhead has only one V indentation -- on the bottom. The top is straight across.

Forum Links
Forum Rules