Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Some XP / OS X Newbie networking questions

Some XP / OS X Newbie networking questions
DennyA
Oct 31, 2003, 11:24 AM

Okay, we need a new notebook, and I've been considering getting an iBook with the 802.11g card. Most of the stuff I do on a notebook is pretty basic -- word processing, email, web browsing, DVDs on planes, and basic photo touchup -- so the OS wouldn't really matter.

Now, I'm not a "switcher," though, but rather an "adder."(I left the platform religion behind with the Amiga, thanks.) So this thing would need to coexist with the XP PCs in my house. So, a few basic questions:

1) Can a Mac read/write to my PC network? (Wi-Fi, running the standard XP networking stuff.)

2) Can an OS X Mac (with the proper printer driver for my Canon S9000) print to a printer that's being shared using XP's File and Printer sharing?

3) Looks like the one feature I was really worried about losing -- Remote Desktop Connection -- actually has a Mac client! Cool. Anyone ever tried that particular setup? (Mac to XP via RDC?)

Thanks for any advice...

DennyA  (op)
Oct 31, 2003, 12:42 PM

Oh, one other question... Does the iBook's (Airport Extreme) Wi-Fi software automatically detect and list available access points?

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 02:13 PM

I was going to answer your questions line by line, but instead I'll just describe my setup as it covers all your concerns.

I have a home network consisting of 2 PCs, one Win2k, one Debian, connected via a 4-port Linksys router to my DSL. I have an 802.11b access point plugged into the router which lets me wander the house with my Powerbook. The Win2k machine has a LaserJet 4L attached to it locally and is shared via Windows LPD service (not windows file and print sharing).

With this setup I can sit on the couch and open my fiance's resume in Word.X from a share on the Win2k machine, edit it, and then print it out on the printer attached to the PC. At the same time I am logged into my Debian linux box and messing around with apache/ftp on that server so my friend can upload his car project pictures to the server and share them on his favorite forum.

If I want to access my XP machine at work for some reason I just fire up my VPN connection and use the MS RDP client to connect to it or any of my servers at work. When I'm AT work, it auto-detects the work wireless or wired network as available and functions just the same. In addition to that the open source network tools available for OS X have saved my butt a couple of times before.

So, as you can see it's a very flexible arrangement and can pretty much accomodate anything you throw at it network-wise. The only snag I can see in your intended setup is there might be problems finding a suitable driver for your printer. My LJ 4L printer is officially unsupported by HP though and I figured out a workaround using Unix print drivers.

Good luck!

ps. Yes you can see all available networks with your wireless card.
( Last edited by Scarpa; Oct 31, 2003 at 02:19 PM. )

DennyA  (op)
Oct 31, 2003, 03:22 PM

Thanks, Scarpa. My printer is a Canon S9000, which has Mac drivers available.

Sounds like I'll be all set!

Forum Links
Forum Rules