Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mapping application?

Mapping application?
DennyA
Nov 1, 2003, 09:34 AM

Ack. I just realized one program I do use on my XP notebook when I travel that's not available in a Mac version for the iBook -- Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Are there any good map/street navigation programs for the Mac?

Street and Trips is one of the few apps that generally does optimal routes, has up-to-date street data, and can be trusted to generate accurate maps. I've found it much better and faster than using MapQuest/Yahoo Maps/etc. online.

Any good Mac alternatives?

Relayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by DennyA:
Ack. I just realized one program I do use on my XP notebook when I travel that's not available in a Mac version for the iBook -- Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Are there any good map/street navigation programs for the Mac?

Street and Trips is one of the few apps that generally does optimal routes, has up-to-date street data, and can be trusted to generate accurate maps. I've found it much better and faster than using MapQuest/Yahoo Maps/etc. online.

Any good Mac alternatives?
I would like to know as well.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 03:51 AM

I'll probably be yelled at for this, but doesn't Sherlock (w/ OSX) do maps and directions?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 10:47 AM

Mapping/GIS is has been almost wiped out on the Mac. There USED to be mapping programs. DeLorme's Street Atlas for example. This is now Windows-only. Pro-level apps like ESRI's ArcView and MapInfo also used to have a Mac versions, but ESRI at least is totally in the Microsoft camp now, as is DeLorme. There is a company in the Netherlands working on a pro-level GIS for OS X. But I know of no Mac consumer-level mapping programs.

There are some map features built into OS X that allow you to get directions. For instance, in Apple's Address Book app, if you option-click on the address field of a person's address, it can link you to a map. Apple's Sherlock will also link you to maps. If you get Watson , a shareware app, it includes modules that allow you to llink to maps to the address of any phone number you enter.

DennyA  (op)
Nov 2, 2003, 03:41 PM

Voyageur,

Those apps that link to maps require Internet connections, though, right? Not something you could, say, just use in your car?

Not that big a deal, since I have mapping apps on my Palm and Pocket PC. But really odd that there's software you can get for PDAs that you can't get on the Mac. I'd think it would be relatively cheap to do Mac ports of these mapping apps, since the biggest expense is gathering the data and working out the trip algorithsm. The platform-specific stuff would be a tiny part of the application.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 07:03 PM

Yes, they require internet connections.

DeLorme Street Atlas was a rather ugly Mac port when it existed on the Mac, but at least it existed.

The mapping stuff I used when I worked in GIS on the Windows platform was also pretty ugly. I think if a good Mac-oriented development team created a consumer map product, it could be made really attractive and easy to use. If any developers out there are looking for a project....

Forum Links
Forum Rules