Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My First Mac... G4 iBook Impressions

My First Mac... G4 iBook Impressions
pks1850
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 03:20 PM

So I posted earlier that I was contemplating purchasing a 12 inch G4 iBook for our upcoming trip to Thailand. Well... this past weekend, I decided on making the impulse purchase.

Since I bought it at the Apple store, it's a basic config -- I plan on updating the RAM to 640MB asap. (BTW... I'm confused as to which type of RAM I should buy... any guidance appreciated.) Originally I wanted Bluetooth as well, but my wife pushed me to buy the iBook on the spot. So the only addition I got was an Airport Extreme card.

Overall great buying experience. The MAC sales folk must of thought we were nuts, since I came in and out of the store three times in the span of 10 minutes to consult with the wife. The corporate discount I got on my purchase sealed the deal.

So... on with my first impressions with the new Mac in my life.

- Not that it matters, but I was actually impressed with the overall presentation of the packaging the iBook came in. Apple put some thought into the whole package - a nice touch.

- Overall, I'm pleased with the speed of the iBook so far. Granted, all I've done is surfed the Web and played around with several of the apps. But it seems zippy enough for now. The real test will be when I start doing some Photoshop work. The wife thinks it's plenty fast, and is questioning adding additional RAM. Shaddup! I need more RAM

- Setting up the Airport card to work with our wireless network at home was the only stumbling block that took some time. I finally figured out that I had to enter in the WEP password manually... meaning, I had to enter the actual hex value generated from the key.

- Once I got the Airport card working, it was smooth sailing. Signal is much stronger then my XP laptop running a Linksys card. I've got a good signal all through my house - upstairs, basement, backyard porch, bathroom...

- Wife loves the new iBook. This is the first time she's actually commented on a piece of technology that I've bought. Quote "I love this thing!" She loves it so much, in fact, that I'm beginning to worry I won't get any time with it!

- Love the design, look and feel of the iBook. Keyboard feels fine. Charging and sleep light are nice touches.

- The iBook does get warm, especially when working and charging at the same time.

- Haven't really heard a peep yet, overall operation is silent. Nice.

So, what's the catch? Well, there is one problem -- one dead pixel in the top right hand corner. Annoys the hell out of me , but my wife thinks I'm crazy since it's hardly noticeable. I'll probably just end up living with it

Now, time to load up on some software.

Kelvin
Nov 3, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by pks1850:

- Setting up the Airport card to work with our wireless network at home was the only stumbling block that took some time. I finally figured out that I had to enter in the WEP password manually... meaning, I had to enter the actual hex value generated from the key.

I'm contemplating a purchase soon. I have a D-Link 614+ wireless 802.11b router and have encryption turned on between my PC wireless card and the router. I just typed in a key on both devices. Why would you have to do that with Airport software. Don't they allow you to type in a key based on the type of encyption? Maybe you are referring to something different?

Thanks

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 04:32 PM

- Overall, I'm pleased with the speed of the iBook so far. Granted, all I've done is surfed the Web and played around with several of the apps. But it seems zippy enough for now. The real test will be when I start doing some Photoshop work. The wife thinks it's plenty fast, and is questioning adding additional RAM. Shaddup! I need more RAM

So, what's the catch? Well, there is one problem -- one dead pixel in the top right hand corner. Annoys the hell out of me , but my wife thinks I'm crazy since it's hardly noticeable. I'll probably just end up living with it

More RAM is always good. My better half wondered why I had to max mine out.

Also, if it were me I would definately take the iBook back for the dead pixel. The laptop is brand new. It if were a year or 2 old that's one thing. But it's BRAND NEW!!!! I would be soooo pissed. Especially if they said they wouldn't exchange it.

By the way....Congrats on the purchase. I think you did the right thing.

pks1850  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Kelvin:
I'm contemplating a purchase soon. I have a D-Link 614+ wireless 802.11b router and have encryption turned on between my PC wireless card and the router. I just typed in a key on both devices. Why would you have to do that with Airport software. Don't they allow you to type in a key based on the type of encyption? Maybe you are referring to something different?

Thanks
You know, now that I think about it it was probably more user error then Apple's fault.

My Linksys router allows me to generate a WEP key by typing in a phrase which is then converted into hex (64 bit or something like that).

When I was setting up the Airport card, I was just typing in the phrase over and over. Eventually, I had to go to my PC and copy down the hex values. Once I plugged those in to the Airport software, it was good to go.

So, yes, Airport does allow you to enter in WEP keys based on various types of encryption. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

pks1850  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:

Also, if it were me I would definately take the iBook back for the dead pixel. The laptop is brand new. It if were a year or 2 old that's one thing. But it's BRAND NEW!!!! I would be soooo pissed. Especially if they said they wouldn't exchange it.
Your post got me thinking... I just got off the phone with the Apple store. At first, the guy on the phone said one dead pixel was acceptable.

I pushed the issue, and he eventually spoke to one of the MAC genius folk. They agreed that if I brought back the laptop, they would offer up an exchange. Apparently, this wasn't their policy before. Glad its been changed. Good deal Apple

It occured to me also that having the dead pixel would hurt my resale value down the line. Not that I plan on selling anytime soon.

Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 05:39 PM

Congrats on the purchase. As to your exchange, you are very lucky. It has been Apple's policy not to exchange units for dead pixels until over 3 are effected. One fix is to gently rub the screen (with a cloth-lined finger) in a circular motion over the dead/stuck pixel. I was able to unstick the only bad pixel on my Tibook that way. This is a well recongised way to try and fix them. Guess it's a moot point for you, though.

Sean

StuartB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 05:47 PM

So's it possible to get a 12" with BT in the Apple stores?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 05:52 PM

- Wife loves the new iBook. This is the first time she's actually commented on a piece of technology that I've bought. Quote "I love this thing!" She loves it so much, in fact, that I'm beginning to worry I won't get any time with it!
You're doomed. Three weeks after I bought my iBook, it's now her iBook. Upgrade to a 12" PowerBook for Christmas.

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 05:54 PM

My new iBook G4 arrived today. I think you should definately max out the RAM. My screen has one dead pixel too, but it's right on the edge and doesn't bother me. I had some trouble with the AirPort, but all is well now. I think it's great that so many of us are sharing in the new iBook G4 goodness all at the same time.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

-Q-
Nov 3, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by StuartB:
So's it possible to get a 12" with BT in the Apple stores?
Not usually. That's a BTO option and they'd probably take your order at the store, but it'd have to be shipped to you (or to the store directly) from the online Apple Store.

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 06:28 PM

Enjoy your new Mac. Please post back your first impressions with the photoshop speed on it. You don't have to go tooo in depth if you don't have to, just overall speed with some common things and such.

Anything is appreciated, thanks.

Kelvin
Nov 3, 2003, 06:30 PM

You know, now that I think about it it was probably more user error then Apple's fault.

My Linksys router allows me to generate a WEP key by typing in a phrase which is then converted into hex (64 bit or something like that).

When I was setting up the Airport card, I was just typing in the phrase over and over. Eventually, I had to go to my PC and copy down the hex values. Once I plugged those in to the Airport software, it was good to go.

So, yes, Airport does allow you to enter in WEP keys based on various types of encryption. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.
This seems to be the same as my D-Link router and PCI card on my PC. Enter the same alphanumeric key on both the router and the wireless card on the PC for 64bit encryption and they're able to talk.

So are you saying the Airport card software on your iBook doesn't generate the same encryption string using the same alphanumeric key as on your PC? That doesn't sound right. I guess I'll research the networking forums for networking Airport to a 3rd party router. I don't own a Mac yet so I have no idea what the Airport configuration software is like.

Thanks.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 07:46 PM

Your post got me thinking... I just got off the phone with the Apple store. At first, the guy on the phone said one dead pixel was acceptable.

I pushed the issue, and he eventually spoke to one of the MAC genius folk. They agreed that if I brought back the laptop, they would offer up an exchange. Apparently, this wasn't their policy before. Glad its been changed. Good deal Apple

It occured to me also that having the dead pixel would hurt my resale value down the line. Not that I plan on selling anytime soon.
Glad to hear they will exchange it. That's a good way for Apple to keep customers. A brand new LCD shouldn't have dead pixels. To me that is like buying a new car with one flat tire.

vipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 07:50 PM

(BTW... I'm confused as to which type of RAM I should buy... any guidance appreciated.)
PC2100 DDR

palmberg
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 08:41 PM

- Not that it matters, but I was actually impressed with the overall presentation of the packaging the iBook came in. Apple put some thought into the whole package - a nice touch.
But it *does* matter. Maybe not as much as DDR RAM or fast graphics or BlueTooth, but it's a very important part of what Apple is.

There used to be a computer manufacturer that put a cow pattern on their boxes. I don't recall whatever became of them....

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

J. Keats
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

pks1850  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:00 AM

Well, I just got back from the Apple store. They in fact did replace my two day old iBook that had one dead pixel. At first, they were going to charge me a 10% restocking fee... I informed them that the person I spoke to on the phone never mentioned it, and I shouldn't have to pay. Lucky for me, the manager agreed

They said it was a one time thing -- meaning if the next iBook they brought out had dead pixels, I would be out of luck.

When I booted up the new iBook, I was horrified to see yet another dead pixel. The manager took a look and blew on the screen... dead pixel gone It was just a dark piece of dust. Whew.

So now I'm back home posting on my new dead pixel free iBook. Of course, I have a new gripe. There is a little play between the wrist rest and the battery, causing an annoying plastic rubbing sound when I lay my wrists down to type. I've decided I'm not going to worry about it, and just enjoy my iBook.

pks1850  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by Kelvin:
So are you saying the Airport card software on your iBook doesn't generate the same encryption string using the same alphanumeric key as on your PC? That doesn't sound right. I guess I'll research the networking forums for networking Airport to a 3rd party router. I don't own a Mac yet so I have no idea what the Airport configuration software is like.
Yeah, I didn't see any place to put in a phrase to auto generate the hex values like my Linksys router offers. That's not to say there isn't a place for that somewhere in the Airport software... to be honest, I haven't really dug into it.

Also, the Airport card did come with a software CD. I haven't installed anything from it. I just plugged in my Airport card and entered my SSID and WEP key. As I've often heard, "it just works"

StuartB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:08 AM

If I ordered a iBook today with maxed ram, hdd, BT, and wifi, and with the 2-3 day shipping...would it hopefully get there this week? Or is there a general wait on them...

DennyA
Nov 4, 2003, 12:14 AM

Stuart,

I ordered just that on Friday and it shipped today, supposed to arrive on Wednesday. So assuming everything goes at the same speed, you'd get it Friday if you ordered it early enough on Tuesday.

StuartB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:17 AM

Great, thanks.

Another question. On Crucial's site, they don't have the new iBooks on the system selector, but should the PB ram work?

Part No. CT327971 512MB, 200-pin SODIMM
Upgrade for a Apple PowerBook G4 1GHz (12-inch Display) System

To be exact.

$10 cheaper ($125.45 total, including free shipping and tax) than from Apple, but hey, that's $10!

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:18 AM

So now I'm back home posting on my new dead pixel free iBook. Of course, I have a new gripe. There is a little play between the wrist rest and the battery, causing an annoying plastic rubbing sound when I lay my wrists down to type. I've decided I'm not going to worry about it, and just enjoy my iBook.
Good to know that you managed to get the iBook replaced. I guess that's the advantage of buying from a physical store as compared to online.

As for the plastic sound....alas, I think mac owners are perfectionists. I have never seen PC users pamper their machines as much, nor sweat over the finest of details.

DennyA
Nov 4, 2003, 12:21 AM

For $10 on such a large purchase, I'd just get it from Apple. (In fact, that's what I did.) That way your RAM is covered by the warranty too -- and more important, any SODIMM slot problems that they could later say "it's because you installed third-party RAM."

StuartB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by DennyA:
For $10 on such a large purchase, I'd just get it from Apple. (In fact, that's what I did.) That way your RAM is covered by the warranty too -- and more important, any SODIMM slot problems that they could later say "it's because you installed third-party RAM."
Good point. Guess I'll just do that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules