Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New User: Which email program?

New User: Which email program?
DennyA
Nov 3, 2003, 12:53 AM

I have an iBook ordered... Trying to figure out which email program to use, and would be appreciate advice from you guys.

I'll be getting Office v.X, so I'll have three choices:
1) OS X Mail
2) Entourage
3) Eudora 6.01

I'm leaning toward Eudora, as that's what I'm currently using on the PC. (I really hate Outlook 2002.) I understand Entourage is a lot nicer than Outlook, though. But then I hear good things about the standard Mail app too... Decisions, decisions.

Eudora's a bit of a pain to set up for multiple email accounts on Windows. You have to create separate directories/icons -- it's like having separate copies for each account. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get/send email for both my work and home POP3 accounts, and have mail for each go into its own separate folder so that they don't mix. Decent spamblocking is a plus as well.

Suggestions?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 01:45 AM

for most basic to moderate usage, i would pick OS X Mail.app...it is easy to set up and fairly intuitive. you should have little difficulty in configuring it to do what you want (pretty much how i use it...).
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 02:00 AM

unless you really need a feature that's not in Mail.app, I'd go with Mail. It's the most integrated with the system, is easy to set up, etc.
cpac

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 02:02 AM

I use entourage, I like it, I dont think you can really go wrong using it or mail.app.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2003, 02:44 AM

Mail.app was great in Jaguar and is even better in Panther. Very lightweight, but full-featured. Can't go wrong.

threestain
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 10:18 AM

Mail app is definitely my suggestion - much better than windows outlook, and is very neat and easy to use - plus can easily setup many mailboxes, rules and colour schemes.

Blimey now on 200 posts! Yippee!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 10:22 AM

mail is free too.

-r.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2003, 10:25 AM

Apple's Mail.app is my choice as well. The filter works MUCH better than in Jaguar.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Lew
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 10:48 AM

Here's another vote for mail.app. It's never let me down.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2003, 11:25 AM

Having used Entourage for a few years, and switching to Mail.app in Jaguar...I have never looked back....

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 12:02 PM

I've tried all the ones you listed, but my favorite is still Mailsmith.

Rychiar
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 12:41 PM

id never consider anythin but mail.app. anythign else is justa hastle
iMac G5 1.8 ghz 20in. 1.5 gigs RAM, 250 gig Harddrive, Fully Wireless
60 Gig Original Overpriced iPod photo
Power Mac G4 450 768 Megs RAM
5 Gig Original iPod (RIP 12-20-04) :(

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 08:54 AM

I've spent many of my nearly 700 posts here bitching about Mail.app. No more. In Panther, it's ready for primetime on my desktop. However, iCal still isn't even close. Because of that, I'm still sticking with Entourage. For me, it makes no sense to use Mail.app, then switch to Entourage for calendaring. I know Mail.app and iCal are two separate applications and I'd be switching anyway, but as long as I have to go back to Entourage for anything, I'll keep using it. Hell, I paid for it!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2003, 10:29 AM

If you just want basic mail functionality, Mail will work fine for you.

If you want something more advanced, I'd go for either PowerMail or Mailsmith. If you can deal with POP access and use lots of filters, Mailsmith is hands down the best thing out there. If you need IMAP, PowerMail will also work; its filters aren't quite as good as Mailsmith's, but they're better than almost anything else.

Both PowerMail and Mailsmith are commercial, but they offer demo versions. Take them both for a spin and see what you like. I use PowerMail myself.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

lenox
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by DennyA:

Eudora's a bit of a pain to set up for multiple email accounts on Windows. You have to create separate directories/icons -- it's like having separate copies for each account.
In my experience, Eudora for windows handles multiple accounts very well and you do not have to create multiple directories/icons/copies.

Hamgard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by DennyA:
I have an iBook ordered... Trying to figure out which email program to use, and would be appreciate advice from you guys.

I'll be getting Office v.X, so I'll have three choices:
1) OS X Mail
2) Entourage
3) Eudora 6.01

I'm leaning toward Eudora, as that's what I'm currently using on the PC. (I really hate Outlook 2002.) I understand Entourage is a lot nicer than Outlook, though. But then I hear good things about the standard Mail app too... Decisions, decisions.

Eudora's a bit of a pain to set up for multiple email accounts on Windows. You have to create separate directories/icons -- it's like having separate copies for each account. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get/send email for both my work and home POP3 accounts, and have mail for each go into its own separate folder so that they don't mix. Decent spamblocking is a plus as well.

Suggestions?
I've used Thunderbird Mail for six months and found it easy to set up and use.

These things are subjective; these mailers work, but you need to try them to see which you get on with best.

Good luck in your search.

Hamgard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:39 PM

I've used Thunderbird Mail for six months and found it easy to set up and use.

These things are subjective; these mailers work, but you need to try them to see which you get on with best.

Good luck in your search.

milhouse
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 01:18 PM

I've been using Entourage for some time now. It's very good. With the advent of Panther I've gone back to Mail to see what Apple has done with it.

So far it's been working quite well, even when sending files to Windows boxes. Spamsieve seems to work well with it too.

My suggestions:

Go with Mail, and if it's missing needed features, then Spend the $$ on Entourage.

cheers and good luck
"-Dodge This"

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 09:39 PM

From the beginning I was partial to Entourage. I can't explain why though. I think that the Mail.app just looked decievingly simple to me. But when I wiped my drive to install Panther I gave it a shot and now I'm hooked. I like it a lot better than Entourage and it hogs way less resources than Entourage. So my recomendation would be to try both out for a few weeks and just see what one you end up using the most.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 4, 2003, 11:41 PM

No mentions of Gyazmail? It is second best only to Mail.app.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

DennyA  (op)
Nov 5, 2003, 01:57 AM

Sounds like I'll definitely have to give Mail.app and Entourage a spin, then. Thanks for the feedback, folks. Interesting that nobody voted for Eudora.

Do both programs have decent anti-spam features? The one thing about Eudora is that I can run Spamnix, which in its latest version has excellent Bayesian spam filtering.

Also, I know Entourage can import existing email messages from Eudora. Any way to do that with Mail.app?

(Mailsmith sounds good, but $99 for an e-mail app? Youch. I don't think so!)

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 02:34 AM

Make sure you try GyazMail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules