Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Using a Powerbook Software Install and Restore CD to upgrade a different Mac?

Using a Powerbook Software Install and Restore CD to upgrade a different Mac?
C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 02:42 AM

I'm wondering if this is feasible? I have a new Powerbook 12" that came (of course) with the 10.2.7 Software Install and Restore CD, and an iMac DV+ still running 9.2.2, and I'd like to have the iMac running on Jaguar (I'm waiting a couple more months before installing Panther).

Is the Powerbook CD an option for upgrading an iMac? Or would fundamentally different Restore CDs be used on the two different products?

If doable, any advice or tips?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

68k33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 05:51 AM

The System Install Discs should work without a problem.

With the support discs (Restoring, Troubleshooting and testing): Although I am not 100% shure, you should use those only for the specified model (There must be something in it that Apple specifies on the CD's the appropriate mac model....)

MickS
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 06:01 AM

Of course the license that came with your nice shiny copy of 10.2.7 allows you to run it on your Powerbook only. You are breaking the license agreement if you install it on your iMac.

C-Bear  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by MickS:
Of course the license that came with your nice shiny copy of 10.2.7 allows you to run it on your Powerbook only. You are breaking the license agreement if you install it on your iMac.
I know.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

TypeMRT
Nov 7, 2003, 03:54 AM

Is the license ties to the user (i.e. 1 copy on 1 machine) or is it only for the Powerbook because it was purchased with the Powerbook.
Buy Panther for the Powerbook and "transfer" your Jaguar license to the iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules