Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do you keep track of these posts?

How do you keep track of these posts?
anothermacguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2001, 01:07 AM

I was just wondering how you organize/keep track of topics on bbs' such as this. Does anyone have any unique ideas?

mindwaves
Jun 14, 2001, 01:15 AM

Refreshing every min helps a bit.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2001, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
<STRONG>Refreshing every min helps a bit. </STRONG>
I think he meant how all the ubb data is organized and such. I'd suspect a database system like MySQL is in use, although only a moderator could say for sure.

F-bacher

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2001, 07:36 AM

I've worked with UBB in the past (although, admittedly, it's been a while). Unless something big has changed in UBB's structure since I last used it, this is all done with plain HTML files for each topic, formatted in a certain way to make them somewhat easier for Perl to parse.

Not the best backend out there, to be sure (though it does keep you from having to run a database). But people seem to like this style anyway. I never much cared for it myself, as I prefer truly-threaded discussions, but it works all right. And I must say, I like UBBCode.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2001, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by anothermacguy:
<STRONG>I was just wondering how you organize/keep track of topics on bbs' such as this. Does anyone have any unique ideas?</STRONG>
If they switched to vBulletin then you can track a forum from your user CP, and also recieve an e-mail when someone posts a reply even if you are not the original poster.. brilliant and much faster than UBB.
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2001, 08:53 AM

Personally, I'd recommend phpBB myself. The interface is basically identical to UBB (it even supports UBBCode, though they call it BBCode), it's really fast, and it's free (always a nice bonus).

I'd recommend waiting till 2.0 is released, though (they're working on it now). Looks like most of the features you now get only wuth UBB hacks will be in that release.

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2001, 11:06 AM

UBB does use all flat files. That's partially why their server load is so high and it dies all the time. UBB does NOT scale well. InfoPop (the people that wrote UBB) have a new product that is Oracle backed that's used on sites like ArsTechnica.

Personally I would only use one of two setups:

Slash:Slashcode or
Jive: JiveSoftware

Slash powers Slashdot and is massivly scalable. Jive is all Java and can also scale very well. Both solutions are backed by databases... Parsing each page to create indexes, etc... is not efficient and that's why UBB falls down under large loads.

FWIW, both of the above boards support truly threaded discussions, which I prefer because you can see the flow better...

If the original poster wanted to know how UBB does its sorting, it has a spot in it's flat file DB for last modified and sorts descending from that...

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2001, 11:24 AM

I just take swings into the darkness and maybe I'll hit something.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2001, 11:25 AM

Slash is an extremely nice Web forum. However, its interface is radically different from UBB's, as is its whole moderation structure. I don't think the MacNN community would stand for such a complete and total change as that.

Jive is interesting. I really dislike the license they've moved to, though. phpBB is just as scalable, and should be more than adequate for MacNN's needs. Assuming they want to switch that is (and I believe they do, seeing as how they've tried before).

anothermacguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2001, 12:56 AM

Hey guys...I was actually wondering how you guys keep track of threads. I wasn't asking about the BB itself...just individual threads of interest, or for future config/installation reference (as a visitor).

This has been an interesting post nonetheless...how do these others compare to YaBB (Yet Another Bulletin Board - yabb.org)?

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2001, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by anothermacguy:
<STRONG>Hey guys...I was actually wondering how you guys keep track of threads. I wasn't asking about the BB itself...just individual threads of interest, or for future config/installation reference (as a visitor).

This has been an interesting post nonetheless...how do these others compare to YaBB (Yet Another Bulletin Board - yabb.org)?</STRONG>
Well that's the thing, it's very difficult to keep track with UBB - I use vBulletin on my site so users can subscribe to a thread they are interested in and see all the latest posts in their use control panel without having to hunt around. I tried a lot of BB - esp. the open source projects, and I found the current best open source was phBB - but it's not quite there yet, so in the end I opted for a commercial BB. YaBB is fine but runs as CGI/Perl - they are going to re-write completely using Perl and MySQL. Another amazing looking board is BoardJuggler - it has not been released yet, but looks extremely good - and is free.
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]
Senior User
Jun 17, 2001, 04:39 PM

i've used the search feature in the past. it seems to be less than accurate now. for example, it only found 3 messages under my user number in X usage forum today. har-har.

you'll need your user number to search for yourself - you have to click 'profile' on one of your messages - the 'my profile' universal link doesn't seem to contain the user number among its data.

you might have better luck than i'm having with it. beware, if you have alot of posts, it can take a while...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2001, 09:15 PM

Just bookmark the thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules