Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dropped powerbook...worth fixing

dropped powerbook...worth fixing
milf
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 02:40 PM

Oh, the pain!

I dropped my Powerbook about a month ago. Thankfully the damages were minimal. I'd still, however, like to consider getting the cosmetic damages repaired.

Here are a couple shots of the damage...the quality isn't all that great, but they give a rough idea.

Is it worth fixing and can anyone recommend a reputable place for such fixes?

http://homepage.mac.com/milfbox/PhotoAlbum1.html
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 6, 2003, 02:59 PM

Yeah I have a friend of mine who has the same damage. He's was caused by dropping the laptop bag w/ the laptop in it. He has the 3yr Applecare coverage, but they don't cover dropped laptops and he decided to live w/ it.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 03:04 PM

Ouch. The bezel (light part of the case) is carbon fiber... which is cracked. Not sure what you can do to fix that, bondo it

As for the bent corner, you can unscrew the entire bottom panel from the PowerBook and you might be able to torch it and bend it back into place, heh. You risk do more damage to it though. But after doing that then you could always buy some of the touchup "TiPaint" and fix the bottom metal panel all up.

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 03:06 PM

Get Safeware insurance.... if you have problems later because of the accident they will pay to fix or replace it.

You could eventually have problems from a cracked trace or loose componet on motherboard that is problematic yet!

TypeMRT
Dec 7, 2003, 03:27 AM

That's how mine looks after a nasty fall onto tile. Still works but hte bottom pan is eparating from the frame (take your bottome cover to see where it's attached with grey adhesive). Now I'm just waiting on the Rev. B 15" AlBook coming soon.
Wish I had insurance instead of just Applecare. It was $40 a year with a $50 deductible added to the homeowner's policy

Forum Links
Forum Rules