Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 12)
pup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:35 AM

RIGHT ON!

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Well maybe he is a procrastinator
Dude, not you too - see if I show you any more hovering Imperial iPods

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
who'd you have to blow to see that
Me. Wet those lips, boys.

kidrocky7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
You know what, kid - it's not worth your time coming back here for awhile... how about ever? Unappreciative weasel
not sure if that was for me or for zell, cause of the Kid part.I'm not trying to insult you in any way man. just saying that you should take your time cause it will all be worth it at the end.

pup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:43 AM

what you just said.....

Me. Wet those lips, boys.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Come on, post the image of omega. You know you want you. I'll be your best friend
How about a teasing glimpse?

Like I said - these things will end up half-ass ported before the original comes out if I post anything significant in a public forum. I'd love to share with all safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't happen, but that would be naive.

pup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:48 AM

Like I said - these things will end up half-ass ported before the original comes out if I post anything significant in a public forum. I'd love to share with all safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't happen, but that would be naive.
MAN that's gonna be sweet!

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by kidrocky7:
not sure if that was for me or for zell
The kid part was in response to Zell's (lack of) maturity and tact... sorry for the confusion, bro'.

darrick
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 12:50 AM

too cool. thanks for taking your time. one of the greatest things about owning a mac is the super, sharing community.

thanks.

kidrocky7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:54 AM

The kid part was in response to Zell's (lack of) maturity and tact... sorry for the confusion, bro'.
yah, no prob. its all good here man

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 01:46 AM

ok, youve got my attention bbx. what app is that? is that the konfab itunes widget? looks like some kinda player.

zboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 02:07 AM

quite a post bbx broke his recent silence with

it was good tho...I think what he's trying to do is really under-appreciated by some folk..

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 07:42 AM

MAN this theme is going to rock.

eFX
Dec 17, 2003, 08:32 AM

Is that the mp3 player? it looks absoloutely beautifull. You know i think this is going to be the best GUI kit in the face of History, even better than BBX Mercury. it will be your best work yet!

As to the guy who posted earlier how can one loose interest, ive got this feeling BBX will change the future hehe

futuristic interface design and adapt that look consistently across 3 systems, 2 platforms, 3 animated media player skins
Sounds very interesting, which players or are you doing one like you made for T3 which was for the PC?

dam i think his new website is going to rock this world, from the way BBX discusses things.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 10:29 AM

Looks GREAT! How about a mouse cursor pointer thing? Are you doing that? I can't remember if you've mentioned that once. We aren't supposed to just look for one that kinda matches the theme are we? Or use the stinking stock Apple one are we? I guess you've probably thought of that.

And as far as a windows port, I'm pretty sure there's nothing to worry about. My theme has been out for years and no one has tried porting it. :-] lol

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 10:57 AM

If you do a cursor please make one for leftys too, it�s not much work as you only have to flip the graphics but it would make it much easier for us leftys

MDZ61384
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 01:08 PM

hey...just wanted to say I'm looking forward to this release as well. I'm a PC user (not a Mac user...don't kill me, I respect Mac's too) and just built myself a new computer. This will eventually work perfect with it.

Just wanted to say keep up the good work as I know encouragement can go a long way in computer design
Webmaster - AgoroDex Network
Version 2.0 Coming to you Summer 2004

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 02:27 PM

You've got a great point BBX, about making the theme as good as it can be... we don't want to have to download updates to the theme every few weeks after it's out ether as you keep tweaking it. It would be worth waiting 2 weeks after xmas for it if that's the case.

You already know but I love the remote teaser One question, is it going to display the current playing track info, or is it just like the iPod remote and have no display on it?

MDZ61384 How did you know we'd kill you? Really though this is a theme that everyone should look farward to, and remember it was made by a Mac user!
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 02:34 PM

Dude, not you too - see if I show you any more hovering Imperial iPods
Dude, I was kidding! I swear! But come on, we ALL procrastinate sometimes. Like here I am, supposed to be doing my homework, and instead I'm just staring at your itunes widget again. Thanks a lot

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
One question, is it going to display the current playing track info, or is it just like the iPod remote and have no display on it?
The elipsis brings up holographic metadata projected on the desktop's surface - that's the idea anyways.

zboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 03:05 PM

The elipsis brings up holographic metadata projected on the desktop's surface - that's the idea anyways.
*whoa*

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by MDZ61384:
I'm a PC user (not a Mac user...
Well then you're looking at a WindowBlinds skin (sorry, no MSstyles) and a choice between WMP9 and Winamp MP3 skins... plus all the icons (with Windows-specific additions) and desktops from the Mac version - I'm leaving app skins to users to develop (they'll just do them anyways).

RydDragyn
Dec 17, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Looks GREAT! How about a mouse cursor pointer thing? Are you doing that? I can't remember if you've mentioned that once. We aren't supposed to just look for one that kinda matches the theme are we? Or use the stinking stock Apple one are we? I guess you've probably thought of that.

And as far as a windows port, I'm pretty sure there's nothing to worry about. My theme has been out for years and no one has tried porting it. :-] lol
There might be a very simple explanation for that

j/p

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 03:20 PM

*drools....* Just don't make it too big, not everyone has 23" displays. (wishes he had one) You said it auto hides iTunes also?
click one

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by MetalSnake:
If you do a cursor please make one for leftys too, it�s not much work as you only have to flip the graphics but it would make it much easier for us leftys
I'm left handed... never seen anyone, including myself and other lefties, use the mouse on the left side of the keyboard.

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 04:27 PM

Is that thing actually projecting colored "light" onto the desktop or is that a photoshop job?

If it's for real it's pretty f'ing cool.

Can you say if that's SS' doing, a feature of Konfabulator or just X?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Is that thing actually projecting colored "light" onto the desktop or is that a photoshop job?

If it's for real it's pretty f'ing cool.

Can you say if that's SS' doing, a feature of Konfabulator or just X?
It would be Konfab's Quartz rendering with transparency. I think all the graphics are in .png so they support transparency, so it's a Photoshop graphic that sits on your desktop to create that cool look.
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
It would be Konfab's Quartz rendering with transparency.
Correct - meaning this module will look great on a dark desktop but wierd on a light one... there's no way to use Photoshop-like apply modes, so I can't make the sprayed graphics lighten what's underneath - just create the illusion when used on a dark desktop.

Also, there will be a 'jump to iTunes' button - my thinking is that it just switches iTunes to the forefront... I'm thinking the module launches iTunes when it starts up but hiding iTunes will require the user option-clicking something else like the dektop or hiding from the iTunes menu. Don't want to load the design down with too many buttons. I suppose the button could unhide itunes and bring it forefront when turned ON and hide iTunes when clicked OFF... we'll see.

MDZ61384
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 05:53 PM

Well then you're looking at a WindowBlinds skin (sorry, no MSstyles) and a choice between WMP9 and Winamp MP3 skins... plus all the icons (with Windows-specific additions) and desktops from the Mac version - I'm leaving app skins to users to develop (they'll just do them anyways).
Thats no problem...I own an Object Desktop license...it will allow me put it to good use (I need to use another program in there besides IconPackager anyway, haha).

NetworkShadow: I figured someone would ask that question. I'm one of those people that emulates a macintosh interface on their pc (yes, its true...if you don't believe me, check out my latest desktop). Go ahead and make fun of me if you wish...for me it makes sense. I'm a Computer Science and Engineering major and have grown very attached to the PC (but also to the Mac GUI), so this gives me the best of both worlds.

Bill, would you mind telling me if you are making the skin for the newly released Winamp 5, or will it be a Winamp 3 skin?

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 06:00 PM

Dude, if the theme is HALF as cool as your rant a page back, it will kick ass!
Seriously, the way people act is truly amazing.
I owe it to single-mother families and crack while pregnant.

SB

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 06:13 PM

I'm left handed... never seen anyone, including myself and other lefties, use the mouse on the left side of the keyboard.
Huh? So you and your lefty friends use their mouses with their right hands? (Don't tell me that you leave the mouse on the right side and cross your left hand over there to use it please). I and almost every lefty that I know of use the mouse on the left side of the keyboard with our left hands. Of course that is the main way I know who's left handed is by seeing their mouse over there so there could be a lot of left handers using their mouse right handed that I don't know about. The lefties that swap their mouse buttons are the ones that I don't understand at all though. Regardless, it does feel a lot more natural to me to have a lefthanded cursor so I'll second the posters request above.... (although BBX didn't even answer whether he's making a cursor or not)!

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 06:24 PM

Weird. Although I've never seen it happen, I'm sure it wouldn't be much trouble for BBX to switch around all the cursors. I wont be able to use the custom cursor anyway, I bought SS and that's the first piece of software I've bought in a long, long time. Maybe after I get an iPod, I'll buy every god damned customization utility out there... until then, I need an iPod.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 08:00 PM

Huh? So you and your lefty friends use their mouses with their right hands? (Don't tell me that you leave the mouse on the right side and cross your left hand over there to use it please). I and almost every lefty that I know of use the mouse on the left side of the keyboard with our left hands. Of course that is the main way I know who's left handed is by seeing their mouse over there so there could be a lot of left handers using their mouse right handed that I don't know about. The lefties that swap their mouse buttons are the ones that I don't understand at all though. Regardless, it does feel a lot more natural to me to have a lefthanded cursor so I'll second the posters request above.... (although BBX didn't even answer whether he's making a cursor or not)!
I am a lefty, but I use things like forks and mice with my right hand, only pencils I use with my left. (And my tennis racquet I guess.) In fact, the 2 or 3 people I do know who are lefties do the same, I've never seen a person using the mouse on the left side in my life, personally.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 08:01 PM

Weird. Although I've never seen it happen, I'm sure it wouldn't be much trouble for BBX to switch around all the cursors. I wont be able to use the custom cursor anyway, I bought SS and that's the first piece of software I've bought in a long, long time. Maybe after I get an iPod, I'll buy every god damned customization utility out there... until then, I need an iPod.
I wouldn't splurge on all those other customization utilities just quite yet... there's been speculation of some cool additions to SS 1.1.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 09:10 PM

Tell us smart*ss, just how long should it take to design a totally original futuristic interface design and adapt that look consistently across 3 systems, 2 platforms, 3 animated media player skins, a dozen desktops, hundreds of icons, user templates with instructions and half a dozen application skins (keeping in mind that it all needs to look photorealistic with consistent lighting and surfaces throughout, be rendered as close to pro-quality as one can possibly get, implement still-in-development SS features and be beta)? Why don't you tell me - just so I know for next time.

[...]

Unappreciative weasel.
Ha ha, best post I've read on a forum in so long.

Oh dear lordy, that's gorgeous!! BTW, I like how you seem to have a specific subdirectory on your website for forum teasers.

I don't know how you do it all though... I really, truly mean it, that thing is ****ing gorgeous. I lost my breath for a few seconds when I saw it, because the detail in it is so incredible. I eagerly await its arrival.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I wouldn't splurge on all those other customization utilities just quite yet... there's been speculation of some cool additions to SS 1.1.
SS 1.1 will be a thing of the past by the time I get enough money for a freakin' iPod. Omega, however, is very free.... ! And if it isn't, I'm paying every last penny. That little chunk of the itunes controller is simply dazzling. When Omega arrives, I'll have to have my friend over who simply refuses to believe that any theme compares with Aqua. ("Apple says it, it must be so.") He simply wont be able to deny Omega's beauty... It's shiny, black, 3D, and it glows... BBX shouldn't be worrying about windows themers quickly porting, he should be worried about hardware companies stealing his design and making millions

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 11:42 PM

Not rocket science...
http://www.bbxstudio.com/4posts/

SB

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 11:54 PM

daaaaaaamn

this is NOT omega, more the caliber of work bbx is capable of.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 11:57 PM

Maybe he'll get some payback for all this time/bullshit/money he's shelled out and/or taken?

http://www.unsanity.com/contest.php

SB

eFX
Dec 18, 2003, 12:04 AM

That T3 skin is a work of Art.

I wonder if thats pure photoshop or its a mix of 3D rendering (as you see his zoom view) Illustrator and photoshop, i think bbx said air brushing somewhere...

Dam my best bet is bbx is the god of dark themes, and music players!

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 01:14 AM

So, BBX, where do I make a donation? <weg>

Oh, and hope we see it soon!

Dave

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:21 AM

Correct - meaning this module will look great on a dark desktop but wierd on a light one... there's no way to use Photoshop-like apply modes, so I can't make the sprayed graphics lighten what's underneath - just create the illusion when used on a dark desktop.

Also, there will be a 'jump to iTunes' button - my thinking is that it just switches iTunes to the forefront... I'm thinking the module launches iTunes when it starts up but hiding iTunes will require the user option-clicking something else like the dektop or hiding from the iTunes menu. Don't want to load the design down with too many buttons. I suppose the button could unhide itunes and bring it forefront when turned ON and hide iTunes when clicked OFF... we'll see.
There's no way to apple script it to hide iTunes? (I don't know much about apple script) I think I've seen it done before in other apps, but I may be mistaken.

As far as I know the remote is 3D and Photoshop.
click one

djodjo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 06:46 AM

NetworkShadow & bbx :

tell application "System Events"
tell process "iTunes"
set visible to false
end tell
end tell

It works in 10.3. You may need to install AppleScript UI Scripting on 10.2

If you need help, don't hesitate.

cheers,

djodjo

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by eFX:
Dam my best bet is bbx is the god of dark themes, and music players!
Guys - please don't dig through my web directories and post my images without permission - Please. Images on my server = my property.
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Dec 18, 2003 at 11:01 AM. )

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by MDZ61384:
I'm one of those people that emulates a macintosh interface on their pc... ... have grown very attached to the PC (but also to the Mac GUI), so this gives me the best of both worlds.
A PC with a Mac GUI is the BEST of both worlds?!?!? Yikes! I think I'd take a Mac with a Windoze GUI anyday!

MDZ61384
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 01:55 PM

A PC with a Mac GUI is the BEST of both worlds?!?!? Yikes! I think I'd take a Mac with a Windoze GUI anyday!
Best of both worlds IMO...its just my opinion after all

(also if I'm not mistaken, Max Rudberg has made a windows GUI skin for Mac GUI, so the opposite combination does exist)

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 01:59 PM

Guys - please don't dig through my web directories and post my images without permission - Please. Images on my server = my property.
I understand you're upset, but those directories were publicly accessible, just like any other Web site I might go to.

Posting them is wrong, but not viewing them.

-Jason

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 02:04 PM

just put a blank index.html file in each folder bill

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 02:04 PM

IF/when you release it i hope you make a new thread.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 02:15 PM

sorry, people link to images in this forum all the time, i didnt think that you would be off limits. nice work tho.

Forum Links
Forum Rules