Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB Flash Drives - Consequences of Not Ejecting Them

USB Flash Drives - Consequences of Not Ejecting Them
jimf_81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 02:17 PM

I'm guessing most people are aware of this problem, but for those who plan on using USB flash drives or pens, make sure you eject the disk on your computer (ie, open up finder, and click the eject button next to the drive you want to eject), BEFORE you remove it. The problem is that sometimes your drive will become corrupted, and you will have to format it before you can use it again. This means that you lose all of the data on the disk.

This comes from my own experience. I've been using a 64 MB, flash drive to transfer files from my PC at work (XP), to my new 17" PB. I've just simply inserted, used, and removed the drive probably 50 times with no problems, but it finally came back to bite me. It is important to properly eject or safely remove the drive when you're using windows too!!!

TypeMRT
Dec 18, 2003, 03:31 AM

I was in a hurry and did the same thing on a Win2K machine. Now I have to reformat.
Sucks because 99% of the time I ejected properly. Oh well...

Forum Links
Forum Rules