Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered My iMac G5

Ordered My iMac G5
ironchef926
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2004, 02:33 PM

Yep. I ordered it on the 26th of this month. I got the 17 inch-er with the Superdrive. For the most part, I stayed with the default specs when purchasing the computer. I did, however, find it necessary to upgrade the memory to 512 MB. I plan on fully expanding it, but I usually don't buy my memory from Apple (you can find it much cheaper elsewhere). I stayed with the 80GB hard drive, Since nothing I use my computer for requires a monstrous amount of space. Granted, I am into movie-makng, and music, but any of the larger video or audio files I feel I need to keep once they've been burned onto a CD or DVD will most likely go onto the Lacie anyway, so space wasn't much of a concern. I didn't get the wireless keyboard and mouse, but it is something I'd like to look forward to in the future.

I'm dreadfully excited about receiving my iMac. The est. ship date is "on or before 12/6/04"

I was just wondering. Does apple have a good track record about shipping before their estimated ship date? Or is it usually right on time?

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by ironchef926:
I'm dreadfully excited about receiving my iMac. The est. ship date is "on or before 12/6/04" I was just wondering. Does apple have a good track record about shipping before their estimated ship date? Or is it usually right on time?
Mine was "on or before 11/24/04". It arrived 11/22/04. A friend's iBook, ordered at the same time, also arrived earlier than expected.

And btw ... congrats!

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2004, 11:11 AM

Just ordered mine today also - just as excited as you no doubt

Its all good stuff
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Noonster:
Just ordered mine today also - just as excited as you no doubt

Its all good stuff

Add me to the list, I ordered a 20'', 250GB HD, with 2 GB home waiting to be put in. Mine is due on or before 12/10, hope they are catching up with demand and it gets here on time :-)

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2004, 11:31 AM

^^ Nice one and 2GB :o :o

I am still awaiting my confirmation email been 2hrs now, they said 30mins - Oh well im sure its on its way...

Is the expected delivery date stated in the email then??

Oooohhh its all exciting
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Noonster:
^^ Nice one and 2GB :o :o

I am still awaiting my confirmation email been 2hrs now, they said 30mins - Oh well im sure its on its way...

Is the expected delivery date stated in the email then??

Oooohhh its all exciting
Yes, it will be in there. I am trying not to get too excited, after reading all the posts about having to wait a month to get one. I will get excited when it ships :-)

ironchef926  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 10:32 PM

I don't expect to receive my iMac any sooner than the sixth, as it's already the first, and my order is still in the "Open" stage. Even if they sent it tomorrow, the soonest I'd get it would be the sixth (as packages usually take about 4 days to reach my home via basic ground delivery service).

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 10:39 PM

I don't expect to receive my iMac any sooner than the sixth, as it's already the first, and my order is still in the "Open" stage. Even if they sent it tomorrow, the soonest I'd get it would be the sixth (as packages usually take about 4 days to reach my home via basic ground delivery service).
What stages does the order status show? My only Mac was purchased from Circuit City ( an iMac Graphite SE ), way back when ;-(, so I am not familiar with Apple's Order Status changes.

Bookie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 11:51 AM

Lucky bums
Don't blame me - I voted Democrat

ironchef926  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by papplegate:
What stages does the order status show? My only Mac was purchased from Circuit City ( an iMac Graphite SE ), way back when ;-(, so I am not familiar with Apple's Order Status changes.
Well. The main stages come in the following order;

Received - Apple has received and confirmed your order.

Open - Apple has begun processing your order

Shipped - Your order has been processed and shipped to you.

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 02:28 PM

Well. The main stages come in the following order;

Received - Apple has received and confirmed your order.

Open - Apple has begun processing your order

Shipped - Your order has been processed and shipped to you.
I see. Well, open it is then.

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 04:14 PM

I didn't get the wireless keyboard and mouse, but it is something I'd like to look forward to in the future.
i didn't think you could add bluetooth after-the-fact (i.e., not user-installable)?

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by dav:
i didn't think you could add bluetooth after-the-fact (i.e., not user-installable)?
Semi-True, the only way after your Mac leaves the plant is a USB Dongle.

ironchef926  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by dav:
Hmmmm...

Well, then. Maybe I should have opted to get the Bluetooth, and added the extra memory later

ironchef926  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2004, 09:12 PM

Ugh...APPLE -- Good Computers; bad customer service!

After my last post, I called Apple to change my order, to include the wireless keyboard and mouse, and that pushed the est. ship date way back. Then, on the day my mac was supposed to ship, I called Apple to see if it had, in fact been shipped. You know what they told me? They told me that instead of changing my order, the rep. who "helped" me had accidentally CANCELLED my order. At this point, I doubt I'll even get my iMac in the month of December!

Curse you, Unqualified Apple sales people!

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2004, 10:02 PM

Ugh...APPLE -- Good Computers; bad customer service!

After my last post, I called Apple to change my order, to include the wireless keyboard and mouse, and that pushed the est. ship date way back. Then, on the day my mac was supposed to ship, I called Apple to see if it had, in fact been shipped. You know what they told me? They told me that instead of changing my order, the rep. who "helped" me had accidentally CANCELLED my order. At this point, I doubt I'll even get my iMac in the month of December!

Curse you, Unqualified Apple sales people!
Darn, that is nuts. I would be so upset :-(
Sorry you have to wait longer.
iMac G5 20'' 250GB, 2GB RAM OS X Server 10.4.8
MacBook Pro C2D 3GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules