Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Shuffle a marketing gem!

iPod Shuffle a marketing gem!
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 05:43 PM

Aside from the fact that the 1Gig version provides excellent bang-per-buck purely as a flash drive, it will probably become an excellent marketing/merchandising tool.

Finally Apple have a low cost, highly desirable device that can be economically used in promotions etc. How soon before we see an iBook with free Shuffle promo? A far more appealing purchasing incentive than a stinky HP Printer with overpriced ink refills. In future, we will know when a product revision is due, not by a reduction in price but by the addition of a free Shuffle.

This device is a piece of marketing genius. I don't think I'll buy one, I'll just wait until it's coming free with something else!

I give it six months before the colour variations come out too.

Anyone fancy a quick Shuffle?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 09:16 PM

My wife's cousin needed to get a flash drive for school. I told her that Apple just came out with a 512 MB or 1 GB iPod that CAN BE USED AS A FLASH DRIVE for $99 and $149, respectively. She said, "You mean I can get a flash drive AND iPod for $99?" I said yes and she said she was going to order one. Apple hit a home run with this thing. People in the market for a USB flash drive can now get a music player AT THE SAME TIME for almost the same price as a dedicated USB Flash drive.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2005, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Feathers:

Anyone fancy a quick Shuffle?
Not with you, ya pervert.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2005, 11:22 AM

Your words say no, but your eyes say yes! Give it up Think and move to the darkside!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 07:01 PM

Not only is this a marketing gem for Apple but for other companies as well. Say if you want to give one to a good customer or as a promotion or other such things. They are inexpensive enough to do things like that with.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 04:22 PM

I wonder how many people will be going in looking to purchase a $99 iPod shuffle and walking out with a iPod mini or a full blown iPod?

MacTheKnife
Jan 19, 2005, 09:17 PM

Yes, I'm going to buy two! A 1GB plus a Photo iPod, 'cause I need that Playboy mag subscription! ;^)

But if I break down and get a Mini instead, would it do the same type of synching as the Shuffle does, randomly selecting music from a much larger iTunes library and filling the full 4GB of the Mini?

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2005, 09:35 PM

Wow, I was right (for once)! Apple are already giving them away free. Check this out:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=847

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by MacTheKnife:
Yes, I'm going to buy two! A 1GB plus a Photo iPod, 'cause I need that Playboy mag subscription! ;^)

But if I break down and get a Mini instead, would it do the same type of synching as the Shuffle does, randomly selecting music from a much larger iTunes library and filling the full 4GB of the Mini?

How is it any different from having a smart playlist?
I, ASIMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules