Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac picture thread

PowerMac picture thread (Page 31)
bearcat2000
Feb 5, 2005, 02:12 PM

Here's my main setup guys...

PowerMac 2x2GHz
4 GB RAM
23" HD Apple display
20" Apple display
Soundsticks
Powermate
Canon ip8500
Canon 780 MP
Lexmark Color Laser
Apple 4/600

Would love to be able to show a photo but it says below while writing this that I cannot post attachments....Bummer. Any ideas?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by bearcat2000:
Here's my main setup guys...

PowerMac 2x2GHz
4 GB RAM
23" HD Apple display
20" Apple display
Soundsticks
Powermate
Canon ip8500
Canon 780 MP
Lexmark Color Laser
Apple 4/600

Would love to be able to show a photo but it says below while writing this that I cannot post attachments....Bummer. Any ideas?
you got to upload it to web space (ie photobucket) and then link it here by the "img" tags and the link to the pic inbetween them.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 07:52 PM

Finally i can post in this thread with my new setup pictures!

Dual 2.5 and 30 inches display.

Its a blast, period.
its a fact that im dope.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2005, 07:57 PM

Sex.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 09:18 PM

Still have cash for a bigger desk? Kick ass setup tho.

redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Still have cash for a bigger desk? Kick ass setup tho.
hehe,

did you check where i live?
its a fact that im dope.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2005, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by redoid:
hehe,

did you check where i live?
Oopsie.. I overlooked it. I grew up in Hong Kong.. so I know what you meant.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2005, 09:34 AM

redoid your set-up is so sweet

would be really worth to get a 30 inches display to do 2D work?

bearcat2000
Feb 6, 2005, 09:36 AM

OK, finally got it! Yeah!!! What else do it need???

redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
redoid your set-up is so sweet

would be really worth to get a 30 inches display to do 2D work?
thanks.

2D work with it? Why not? The difference in price aint that big between the 23 and the 30 and when you ready to pay this kind of money for this setup, i say, all the way !

its a fact that im dope.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by Thade:
I can't get to the image(s) Can someone post the firey desk?

TIA
I think the webpage is down or the person is taking a break from putting stuff up or something.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

novus82x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 04:22 AM

heres mine...

- G5 dual 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 250/160gb HDs, ATI 9800xt (256 VRAM), super drive...
- 23" Apple Cinema Display...
- G4 15" PowerBook, 1.67ghz, 1gb RAM, 100gb HD, ATI 9700 (128VRAM)... (coming Wednesday!)
- 20gb Click-Wheel iPod

( Last edited by novus82x; Feb 9, 2005 at 01:57 AM. )

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 11:06 AM

Its a blast, period.
now that is a totally zen setup

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by novus82x:
heres mine...

- G5 dual 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 250/160gb HDs, ATI 9800xt (256 VRAM), super drive...
- 23" Apple Cinema Display...
- G4 15" PowerBook, 1.67ghz, 1gb RAM, 100gb HD, ATI 9700 (128VRAM)... (coming Wednesday!)
- 20gb Click-Wheel iPod
i like. what kind of desk is that?

novus82x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 02:43 PM

lol your gonna laugh when i tell you...

i actually got that desk for 65$ at office depot or staples (one of those office stores) because one of the manageers was marking stuff down for clearance. She just randomly was like hey ill give you this for 65 bucks and throw in this nice desk lamp for 10 more...

I am not sure exactly what the brand name is if that is what you were looking for.

the desk is actaully a very cheap one (particle board with fake wood covering), but it looks really nice for how cheap it was.

edit: oh yeah and it came with a keyboard tray which i never use, and a really cool thing on the side that raises the G5 off the groud and hangs it from the right side of the desk... too bad the screws stripped because the G5 was too heavy! I think its because I have had it for like 2 years (the desk). The G5 used to be neatly lifted off the ground, and it looked so cool. Now it just sits on the ground, but oh well i still love my setup and when my powerbook comes in the next couple days, my Apple whoring will be complete for some time.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by novus82x:
lol your gonna laugh when i tell you...

i actually got that desk for 65$ at office depot or staples (one of those office stores) because one of the manageers was marking stuff down for clearance. She just randomly was like hey ill give you this for 65 bucks and throw in this nice desk lamp for 10 more...

I am not sure exactly what the brand name is if that is what you were looking for.

the desk is actaully a very cheap one (particle board with fake wood covering), but it looks really nice for how cheap it was.

edit: oh yeah and it came with a keyboard tray which i never use, and a really cool thing on the side that raises the G5 off the groud and hangs it from the right side of the desk... too bad the screws stripped because the G5 was too heavy! I think its because I have had it for like 2 years (the desk). The G5 used to be neatly lifted off the ground, and it looked so cool. Now it just sits on the ground, but oh well i still love my setup and when my powerbook comes in the next couple days, my Apple whoring will be complete for some time.
ya i want one that lifts my g5 off the ground. but meh i was just curious.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 05:59 PM

Here is an updated shot of my setup.

I am totally loving this computer a lot. As I said before I don't bother removing the side panel of my G5 to gaze in (Its too distracting when I need to work) so I have moved my tower to the other side of my desk, and I have also added a nice big return.

All that needs to be added is an iPod Shuffle and I'll be one happy guy.

Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 07:41 PM

Damn those 30"ers are nice! At this rate, I'm going to get so fed up waiting for the powerbook of my dreams I might just have to get another powermac of my dreams!

Then again, I haven't had a laptop since the 486 days!
Aloha

trevorM
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Damn those 30"ers are nice! At this rate, I'm going to get so fed up waiting for the powerbook of my dreams I might just have to get another powermac of my dreams!

Then again, I haven't had a laptop since the 486 days!
When I firstly saw the 30" displays I said to myself "I just gotta get my hands on one!" Of course I never thought I'd actually get one but with an Edu discount and the new prices it made it possible.

I've been using a G4 powerbook for several years now. Mine is the 800Mhz model and I am still very satisfied to this very day with its performance. I happen to think that the current powerbooks should be good enough for most. Nunmbers aside I think that the Apples are still ahead of the PC laptops which are on the market.

I don't think you can go past the 15" Powerbooks - They rock.

For me it's nice to have a powermac again.

redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 09:04 PM

Hey Trevor,

Did you fix the issues you had with your G5?

When i received my system, i did the transfer data thing from my PB to the powermac and it was a little bit buggy, i dont know why though.

So i proceeded to do a clean install, and transfered the data via Target Mode and it did the job. I would not recommend that Transfer data Wizard to be honest your system you are transfering from is a little bit full of datas,

Regards,
red
its a fact that im dope.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 10:00 PM

Hi Red,

So far so good with my G5. I suspect those issues were merely teething issues as I have not had any problems since. The next time I have a problem it is all going back, but I have a feeling I will never have to take such action.

Good point about doing using Target disk mode instead of the wizard. I specifically did not use the wizard as my powerbook was in a rather unhealthy mode and furthermore I wanted to start fresh on my G5. All I transferred over was my Documents, Photos, Videos, and Music folders and a few systems prefs.

A few people have suggested clean installs and I happen to think it is always the best thing to do, to ensure that your system is set up perfectly.

Cheers
Trevor!

Hey Trevor,

Did you fix the issues you had with your G5?

When i received my system, i did the transfer data thing from my PB to the powermac and it was a little bit buggy, i dont know why though.

So i proceeded to do a clean install, and transfered the data via Target Mode and it did the job. I would not recommend that Transfer data Wizard to be honest your system you are transfering from is a little bit full of datas,

Regards,
red

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 11:51 AM

I used the transfer wizard from my cube to my 2.5G5 with great results. I even had a second partition with panther server on it that got transfered over. It's been fine since day one. My only complaint is that my system name is 'cube' instead of 'g5' in some places. i'll be doing a clean install for Tiger though so that'll get fixed eventually...

HHogan
Feb 9, 2005, 08:01 PM

Some stuff isn't pictured, but thats the basics.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 05:31 PM

update with new monitor.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 12, 2005, 05:13 AM

Its a blast, period.
Your setup is ificially hawt!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 06:22 AM

Mafia, that monitor may have been cheap, but design-wise I doubt it's a venerable peripheral for your Power Mac G5.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Mafia, that monitor may have been cheap, but design-wise I doubt it's a venerable peripheral for your Power Mac G5.
i'm very happy with the dell monitor. i actually like it better then the 20" acd's. i really like the height adjustment feature. if you look at the stats its actually got a better brightness and contrast ratio. but tru its not silver but i got for function over style.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2005, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
There's nothing wrong with the Dell 2005WFP. So it's not silver. Big deal. Its a high-quality display with a 4-port USB 2.0 hub, a fully-adjustable & pivoting stand, and it's nearly 1/2 the price of Apple's similar display.

Personally, I'm surprised there aren't more vendors selling similar displays. I find it quite curious that only Apple and Dell market a consumer-oriented 20" widescreen display.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 07:17 PM

Its a blast, period.
This is without a doubt the very *put in the most admiring adjective you know* setup I have ever seen. I envy you so much, really. No bad envy, good envy . Hell, I currently can't even afford the display�

This must be so pure sex to sit there and � � � watch?!?

Honestly, congratulations to this.

redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
This is without a doubt the very *put in the most admiring adjective you know* setup I have ever seen. I envy you so much, really. No bad envy, good envy . Hell, I currently can't even afford the display�E

This must be so pure sex to sit there and �E�E�Ewatch?!?

Honestly, congratulations to this.
Thanks for all the nice remarks i had on my setup. It is indeed pure sex just to sit and watch, hell I aint even a pro user at all. I am just enjoying the setup. Purely and simply.

I remember the guy at the Apple store i bought this setup from winked at me when I said: "I just want to enjoy. I aint a pro user"... He was like "Well, this is the first time I am selling a 6G setup to someone who aint hardcore pro." Then I said "Feels good eh?" Then we kinda laughed at the situation.

I was lurking for a long time for an ultimate setup. This is it.
its a fact that im dope.

greenmeanie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 11:34 PM

now that is a monitor!

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
now that is a totally zen setup

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2005, 05:49 PM

Here are some new photos with my new 30" Apple Cinema HD Display and PowerBook 12" (rev. D). The display just fits perfectly into the space.

 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

yikes600
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 06:48 PM

Us G4 guys are a dying breed!

fady
Feb 19, 2005, 06:49 PM

where's that picture from on the desktop?
Can I have a copy?

F.
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

yikes600
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 07:03 PM

The Radeon desktop? Its from the ATI MWSF '05 CD-ROM... it has wallpapers for practically every card there is (7000, 7500, 8500, 9000, 9200, 9600, 9700, 9800) and in every resolution. Just pm me what resolution you want and the e-mail address to send it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by yikes600:
I hear ya brotha. I for one intend to continue the fight with my G4 for at least another year or two.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by ///Milien:
Here are some new photos with my new 30" Apple Cinema HD Display and PowerBook 12" (rev. D). The display just fits perfectly into the space.

talk about fitting perfectly.

jlazo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 11:02 PM

-Epson Professional 4000
-Epson 4870 Scanner
-Nikon Coolscan 9000
-Epson 1280 set up for sublimation printing with bulk inks
-Epson C84 with pigment grayscale inks

-PM G5 Dual 2.0, 2gb ram, dual raptors
-Intel 2.4 running Colorbyte ImagePrint RIP, Viewsonic LCD
-19" Lacie Electron Blue CRT

-Epson Professional 7600
-Epson 2200

-19" Lacie Electron Blue CRT
-P4 3.2, 800fsb, 2gb Ram

Sorry for the fisheye, it's the only way that I could get it all in! Got to love the Nikon 10.5 Fish eye!

If you ever need fine art prints made, check us out!
http://www.digitalprecisionimaging.com

crooner
Senior User
Feb 20, 2005, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by yikes600:
True! Here�s my setup. Remember... they say a messy workspace is a potential sign of genius. At least that�s the excuse I use to avoid cleaning up my office.

Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver
1.5GB RAM
22 Apple Cinema Display
Two SGI 1600SW
Various FireWire drives including Granite Digital SMART-Vue hot-swap system
Four 18GB 15K RPM Seagate Cheetah RAID box run from an ATTO UL3D

TiBook 800Mhz

And here's a quick mockup of what my next rig (read: dream system) will be.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Dr. No
Feb 21, 2005, 11:17 PM

Its a blast, period.

Hi!

First: great setup...It's just what I had in mind for myself.

Second: How quiet is the system? I'm coming from a G4 dual 1.25 with 2 Gig of Ram and the fans are ALWAYS on and I can hear it when I walk down the hall to my office...Your setup is close to my physical space location...is it driving you crazy? (how much G5 noise? ) Or is it truly "whisper quiet"?

Thanks a zillion for taking time out to answer.

Dr. No

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 21, 2005, 11:35 PM

Well, I've made quite a few changes to my setup since I last posted a pic, and I seem to have finally gotten past my firewall so I can host pictures myself now. So, here goes;

What you see:

Power Mac G4 Digital Audio
1.47GHz/2MB G4 upgrade from GigaDesigns
1.5GBs of matched Crucial RAM
Two 160GB Serial-ATA Seagates
Serial-ATA PCI card
Radeon 9000 Pro
USB 2.0 PCI
M-Audio Revolution 7.1
NEC 16x Dual-Layer burner

15" Apple ADC LCD
Apple Keyboard
Logitech MouseMan Wheel
Mac OS X Panther mouse pad
Creative Labs Inspire 5200 5.1 speakers
Sennheiser HD-595 'l33t' headphones.
Lexmark Z-somethingerother.
Mac 512k, in primo condition. Works perfectly, makes a nice show piece.
A copy of The Smashing Pumpkin's 'The Aeroplan Flies High' 5-CD box set, rare.

That's... about it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

sonicj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 12:18 AM

sonicj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 12:23 AM

andrewgf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 06:57 AM

Very cool case mod.

Good to see the G4s stepping out from the crowd.

Inspiring. The Digital Audios are cheap enough to make me want to do something similar.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 02:01 PM

Cool background pic!
Care to share the original??

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
Well, I've made quite a few changes to my setup since I last posted a pic, and I seem to have finally gotten past my firewall so I can host pictures myself now. So, here goes;

What you see:

Power Mac G4 Digital Audio
1.47GHz/2MB G4 upgrade from GigaDesigns
1.5GBs of matched Crucial RAM
Two 160GB Serial-ATA Seagates
Serial-ATA PCI card
Radeon 9000 Pro
USB 2.0 PCI
M-Audio Revolution 7.1
NEC 16x Dual-Layer burner

15" Apple ADC LCD
Apple Keyboard
Logitech MouseMan Wheel
Mac OS X Panther mouse pad
Creative Labs Inspire 5200 5.1 speakers
Sennheiser HD-595 'l33t' headphones.
Lexmark Z-somethingerother.
Mac 512k, in primo condition. Works perfectly, makes a nice show piece.
A copy of The Smashing Pumpkin's 'The Aeroplan Flies High' 5-CD box set, rare.

That's... about it.
do yourself a favor man.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product

redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Dr. No:
Hi!

First: great setup...It's just what I had in mind for myself.

Second: How quiet is the system? I'm coming from a G4 dual 1.25 with 2 Gig of Ram and the fans are ALWAYS on and I can hear it when I walk down the hall to my office...Your setup is close to my physical space location...is it driving you crazy? (how much G5 noise? ) Or is it truly "whisper quiet"?

Thanks a zillion for taking time out to answer.

Dr. No
Hello Dr. No!

Well here is the deal. We are all reacting different to what is noisy or not i guess. I would consider myself very very very strict on noise level. Before buying the Dual, I was owning a PB and it was quiet enough for me not to be bothered. Now, as you know, will all those fans spinning in the G5, it is obviously more noisy. But the fans are ON only when i am running lots of heavy applications at once. They never always ON of course, just when it needs to cool down this beast a bit! At first boot up i was like "mmm its noisy for me" but then i realized that with the amount of power this machine gets out, you got no choice.

Anyway: it is a little bit noisy to my standard but by all means not a problem at all for someone who aint a picky mother****er like me
its a fact that im dope.

sonicj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Cool background pic!
Care to share the original??
http://www.vinyladdiction.com/forum/curvy_blue.jpg

sonicj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by andrewgf:
Very cool case mod.

Good to see the G4s stepping out from the crowd.

Inspiring. The Digital Audios are cheap enough to make me want to do something similar.
thanx! i enjoy refurbing macs! get something cheap and trick it out!

trancepriest
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2005, 11:34 PM

My dualie setup now. Can't afford another 23" until I sell the 20". Feeling very miserable mismatched now. If anyones interested in a dead pixel free... 20 incher let me know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules