Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > So, the G5 / 10.3.8 / out-of-control-fan issue...

So, the G5 / 10.3.8 / out-of-control-fan issue...
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2005, 10:14 AM

Hi,

My new G5 is sitting at home waiting for me, and I wondered if there was any clarification of the 10.3.8 and fan issue.

Does is affect all G5s, or is it just Rev As or Rev Bs, or just dualies or whatever.

Don't know whether to install the .3.8 ipdate or not at the moment.

Many thanks,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 10:30 AM

install > sys preferences > energy saver > option > high > done.
its a fact that im dope.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2005, 12:11 PM

The problem seems to affect most G5 owners. Most say the issue is solved by setting Energy Saver to Highest Performance, but I am leery of such a fix. I would rather not have my G5 run at the higher temperatures. So it too am waiting off on 10.3.8. There is nothing all that compelling about the update, so I will probably end up waiting for Tiger.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 03:45 PM

The high performance fix has another side effect on my Rev. A Dual 2.0. The "idle fan speed" (speed of fans when the processor is not being taxed (~90% of the time) is faster, which results in a bit more noise than when performance is set to automatic. so its a tradeoff for me. either set to highest performance and get less revving but a slightly noisier system even during idle OR set the processor speed to automatic and get a lot more revving but a quiet computer when it is not working hard. These changes were apparently intentional on apple's part, but I wish apple would go back to the fan settings from 10.3.7 bec they worked best for me.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by robby818:
The high performance fix has another side effect on my Rev. A Dual 2.0. The "idle fan speed" (speed of fans when the processor is not being taxed (~90% of the time) is faster, which results in a bit more noise than when performance is set to automatic. so its a tradeoff for me. either set to highest performance and get less revving but a slightly noisier system even during idle OR set the processor speed to automatic and get a lot more revving but a quiet computer when it is not working hard. These changes were apparently intentional on apple's part, but I wish apple would go back to the fan settings from 10.3.7 bec they worked best for me.
Yes same here. it is chirpier oh highest but those fans are ridiculous. I hope apple fixes it soon. why do you say it was intentional?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 11:04 PM

I read that the fans are revving higher in order to fix a problem which some PowerMac owners experienced. Sorry cant recall the exact nature of the problem but basically the problem was caused by the processors getting a bit too hot and the solution was to boost up fan speed a bit and lower the threshold for when the fans rev to higher speeds. I think apple went a bit overboard though and now the fans are going off prematurely for many of us. on the plus side the people who had the problem now report that the problem dispapeared after applying 10.3.8 . it was on either mac in touch or mac fixit but i cant find the posts anymore....

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by redoid:
install > sys preferences > energy saver > option > high > done.
MB it works, but it's not a fix. It's a workaround, and I personally hate them.

Only upgrade to 10.3.7. I'm downgrading tomorrow.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Forum Links
Forum Rules