Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Question for PowerMac owners, others too

Question for PowerMac owners, others too
mrogov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 08:02 PM

I am planning on purchasing a PowerMac G5 tomorrow... either the Dual 2Ghz or Dual 2.5Ghz... but my question is, besides the specs, can anyone recommmend either one over the other?

For example, noise-wise, etc?
( Last edited by mrogov; Mar 25, 2005 at 08:53 PM. )

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2005, 01:06 PM

Do you have to order today? The rumour goes that Apple will announce a Tiger ship date on April 1st (no joke - that's Apple's founding date). Even if there are no updated PowerMacs to accompany the announcement, it might be nice to wait until you can buy a PowerMac knowing that you can get Tiger for much less, or even free with the system.

But if you have to order today, the next question is this: how important is absolute CPU performance to you? If it isn't critical, consider getting the 2 GHz model instead of the 2.5 and roll the savings into component upgrades (more RAM, better video card, etc.) or else your own pocket. There's no sense in getting a faster CPU when you're more concerned with multitasking or 3D rendering performance.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2005, 04:54 PM

Man, we ordered my mom's powermac on the 23rd, then got a shipping date of the 30th...

It shipped this morning and will be here the 29th I'm *still* pleased because with EDU discounts and all it was a pretty good price, and we have 2 other macs (my bro's imac and my g4 powermac), so we'll have to buy tiger anyway for them, and it'll carry over to the g5 too if we wish (family pack sorta thing)... good for me
Aloha

redoid
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2005, 02:50 PM

get the 2.5 DP then no regrets afterwards!

at least you will know that you went for the top of the line if you can affort it.

thats what i did!
its a fact that im dope.

Forum Links
Forum Rules