Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Vistascan installer kills Finder! (Umax, 1220U, USB)

Vistascan installer kills Finder! (Umax, 1220U, USB)
mccabem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 1999, 07:22 AM

The VistaScan installer causes the Finder to "quit unexpectedly" before most of the software gets installed.

This is true of the CD-installer, as well for the installer you can d/l today from umax.com.

I've tried installing with OS 8.6 Base, with No Extensions and even making a clean fresh install of OS 8.6 on a spare hard disk I have all to the same results.

I've pored over the newsgroups and Mac web-sites and come up with nothing.

This is all on a Rev.1 Blue & White G3 @ 400MHz, 192MB RAM.

- Matt McCabe
- [email protected]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 1999, 01:58 PM

Try using MagicScan instead... it works very well with my old Umax 610 and I am told and have read that it works with your model...

MagicScan is Umax's 'top of the line' scanner software:

ftp://ftp.umax.com/scanners/magicscan/version4.3/mscan43.sea.hqx

it is a hefty d/l, 34.2 MB

mccabem  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 1999, 12:37 AM

Last I checked, it didn't work with USB scanners.

I'd really like to knwo what's causign these Finder-quits....
- Matt McCabe
- [email protected]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 1999, 01:24 AM

MagicScan has been recently updated, you had best check it again...

mccabem  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 1999, 11:19 PM

No dice.....MagicScan's install forces the Finder to quit too.....a little later in the install, but still no good.

Help!!! What's the problem?!
- Matt McCabe
- [email protected]

Happy_Aardvark
Oct 26, 1999, 03:30 AM

I believe there is a link on the webpage of umax referencing this problem to a lack of power going through the scanner. You might want to check the page and pull down the latest drivers. Otherwise, go get an Agfa 1212U, they rock.

Thomas De Groote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 1999, 03:48 AM

Hello,

I think I have some similar problem. When I try to install software that quits the finder in the beginning of the installation procedure (including Vistascan for my Astra 1200S), my mac crashes into Macsbug. My workaround is to copy the installer to my HD and then reboot with extensions off.

I don't know what extension causes the problem, but I had it with both OS 7.5.5 and 7.6.1, and without any third-party extensions installed.

Maybe you should try to boot with Shift pressed...

entropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 1999, 06:33 AM

I found that I couldn't install unless the OS 8 extensions were ON. I assume that the installer looks for ColorSync or something. I also found that if you're running the updater, the original software has to be in its original install locations.

Whoever designs UMAX installers should be held underwater till the bubbles stop.

~ Kiran <[email protected]>

david.urban
Oct 26, 1999, 08:18 AM

my astra 610s worked great until I upgraded to MacOS9. I was running 8.6 and all was fine the only change was the OS. I am using magic scan 4.3 the latest version. The SCSI card is an orange micro card with the latest firmware updated, and it runs my interal SCSI HD just fine, so it must be the software.

dhanushan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 1999, 08:40 AM

I found that having the scanner switched on and warmed up during the installation, stopped the installer quitting to the finder.

Dhanu

SteveH
Oct 26, 1999, 08:53 AM

Make sure you have ColorSync installed before installing VistaScan. Solved the problem for me.

Don Hayes
Oct 26, 1999, 09:30 AM

Try using Custom install instread of easy install - it works for me. Easy install quits the Finder. MacOS 8.6, Astra 610s

bosco
Oct 26, 1999, 12:16 PM

I've had endless probs over the years with UMAX scanner s/w installers--on top of which on a slow line (which I have no more!) it's a killer-lomg d/l. That's why I got an Agfa 1212u, which is no match for the much better old UMAX S6 (?). Colors come out weird, and it's slow. My advice: stick with UMAX and try to get the installer to work.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 02:25 PM

If you use a UMAX 2000/2100U scanner, there is one file that it installs, which will immediately cause the system to crash: VS Control Strip (version 3.5.1). The fix is to remove this file. The scanner doesn't need this control strip and works just great once removed.
[Note: Chris Webb reported a similar finding with his UMAX Astra 1220U scanner.]

(excerpted from MacFixit, thanks)

mccabem  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 1999, 11:00 PM

I just installed the DA, the TWAIN Driver and the MagicMatch Engine and it all installed.

Did I really need the Magic Match Engine?

This works for Magic Scan as well as Vista Scan...

Umax scanning software is trash.

I've still had the whole system lock up 4 times trying simply to scan and modify 2 documents.

Is there any quality shareware that I can use to scan into? Does Graphic Converter have an interface to TWAIN?
- Matt McCabe
- [email protected]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 1999, 08:07 PM

ouch man that sucks!! i got the same system and the same scanner and it worked for me with no problem. i do occasionaly have problems with scanning though...

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 1999, 01:43 AM

So, the scanner software bites, great, is there any other scanner software that is written for the mac that I can use on my umax 1220?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 1999, 02:55 AM

I have had zero trouble with MagicScan as I said previously. There are reports that other have had success with it and your scanner model.

see versiontracker for the most recent Magicscan download which is quite large

adrian tejada
Mar 12, 2000, 05:09 AM

I also have a Umax 1200S that is incompatable w/ my G4 as well as my G3. VistaScammmm is a nightmare! I'm very close to trashing the scanner & more importantly the software after attempting 6 separate installs all of which cause my system to freeze, lock up,or crash.

I tend to agree, who ever programmed VistaScan should be held under water 'til the bubbles stop...

adrian tejada
Mar 12, 2000, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by Thomas De Groote:
Hello,

I think I have some similar problem. When I try to install software that quits the finder in the beginning of the installation procedure (including Vistascan for my Astra 1200S), my mac crashes into Macsbug. My workaround is to copy the installer to my HD and then reboot with extensions off.

I don't know what extension causes the problem, but I had it with both OS 7.5.5 and 7.6.1, and without any third-party extensions installed.

Maybe you should try to boot with Shift pressed...

Did you ever get your scanner to work properly? I'm having this exact same problem w/ 1200s on a G4 and a G3.

I've been on the phone w/ several level 2 techs at Umax. They can't find a solution either after 8 attempts at the software install for VistaScan on both my G3 and G4 Macs.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2000, 09:29 AM

have you tried Umax's MagicScan instead?

see above post(s) re: MagicScan

mccabem  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2000, 08:29 PM

Since MagicScan and VistaScan fail THE SAME WAY as I noted above, I'll reiterate what worked for me:

"
I just installed the DA, the TWAIN Driver and the MagicMatch Engine and it all installed.

Did I really need the Magic Match Engine?

This works for Magic Scan as well as Vista Scan...

Umax scanning software is trash.

I've still had the whole system lock up 4 times trying simply to scan and modify 2 documents.

Is there any quality shareware that I can use to scan into? Does Graphic Converter have an interface to TWAIN?
"
- Matt McCabe
- [email protected]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2000, 08:51 PM

sorry that i wasn't complete in my reading of the thread...

Graphic Converter does have TWAIN acquisition now, but i have not used it

Forum Links
Forum Rules