Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ORXTRA Anyone?

ORXTRA Anyone?
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 11:16 AM

I found a link within Apple's OSX downloads site for a DTP application called Orxtra Publisher (pronounced orchestra, I guess). A cool little app, strangely reminiscent of Quark XPress 3.11. There is little or nothing about it on Google, I can't find any reviews. There is a save disabled demo and the app is protected by eve3 although I can't determine whether the retail version will actually require a USB dongle (ugh!). Retail appears to be UK£245 plus VAT which is about $500 which is more than a little steep not to mention the fact that the app appears to have sprung from nowhere with no history (other than it's striking resemblance to older versions of Quark).

Has anybody else used it, reviewed it or know anything more about the developers?

It seems to be a terrific little app but $500 with no history is a bit daunting.

www.orxtra.com/

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 11:25 AM

Okay, spank me! A few errors...the price is £265 sterling and it does use a USB dongle (which they can cram up their bottoms). C'mon there's $1000+ software that doesn't insist on occupying one of my USB ports. It's a pity though. Seems like a lean mean little program, at $199 with a reasonable serial registration system and I think it could sell by the bucketload.

So, apologies for the errors!

dtp_user
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2005, 08:19 PM

A new release (Orxtra Publisher version 1.1) has been posted recently.

It is a fantastic, fast, quick, and dirty little application.
However, it is mainly targeted for the MiddleEast market, for its great support of the Arabic Language.

I am an Arabic Graphic Designer, and currently using Orxtra Publisher 1.1 for producing 3 arabic magazines. Never been happy with Arabic DTP applications, until I discovered Orxtra Publisher.

Forum Links
Forum Rules