Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Clamshell for me!

New Clamshell for me!
ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 05:42 AM

Well, I got an Indigo Clamshell iBook today, my friend traded it over to me for my larger HP ZT1145 notebook. The HP was just too big and ran Windows so it had to go, lol. Seriously, I wanted another Clamshell for some time now, ever since I sold my other one. Well this one is in near perfect mint condition! Here are the specs.

G3 366Mhz / 576MB Memory / 10GB HD / CD-Rom / Airport / New Battery

Sweet little system and perfect for the field work I do on a day to day basis. I am running OS 9 100% on this baby, and boy is it nice to have an OS that is FAST. Honestly it seems to me that most of todays OS's are overly bloated and too complex for thier own good. Anyway I thought I would drop a post and show you all me new Clammy.

Anyway, cheers everyone!
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 05:46 AM

Oh, I plan to upgrade the HD to a 60GB 5400 RPM as soon as I can sell my iBook G4 1.33Ghz 12" baby. I really have no need for it anymore. Any takers hit me up with a PM.
iMac G4 / Macbook

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 09:07 AM

Nice iBook!
Agent69

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 09:24 AM

Replace the battery the very day it dies. Using it as a little desktop machine is not a good idea. Since the power runs through the battery when it is plugged in (i.e., it cannot run without the battery when it is plugged) if the battery goes really weird (as it happened to me once), it can fry your logic board (that is why I was "forced" to buy my current PowerBook). I took the logo from the back and I stuck it in the door of my fridge. It was my first wholly owned portable Mac.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
Replace the battery the very day it dies. Using it as a little desktop machine is not a good idea. Since the power runs through the battery when it is plugged in (i.e., it cannot run without the battery when it is plugged) if the battery goes really weird (as it happened to me once), it can fry your logic board (that is why I was "forced" to buy my current PowerBook). I took the logo from the back and I stuck it in the door of my fridge. It was my first wholly owned portable Mac.
Thankyou, but it is not a desktop mac. I just placed it on the PC's desk to get a shot of it but it is a field laptop for myself. 90% of the time I am sure it will be running off of the battery. I have owned a Clamshell before and never had the problem your talking about, perhaps a mechanical failure on yours? Sorry to hear that you took apart your Clammy, you could have fixed the poor guy! hehe.

Cheers and thanks for the heads up.
iMac G4 / Macbook

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2006, 04:54 PM

congrats and welcome to the club.

my graphite has the same specs as you [edit: no firewire or dvd], but with the 6G HD. it too is in great condition, i did get it from 'an old lady from Pasadena'. running 10.3.9 and 9.2.1 and it's great for wireless web surfing and iTunes.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

SLiMeX
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 05:02 PM

Man, a while back I had a blueberry clamshell. I miss it.

You have a very, very good condition laptop, there.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 10:01 PM

Well, I had to give up with OS 9, only because the work I do demands that I am constantly on the web and if there is one thing OS 9 cant do these days its surf. I thought iCab 3.0.3 would be good enough but apparently not. So I had to suck it up, backup my files, and install Panther.

While I will miss the simplicity of OS 9, OS X is more functional these days, and the internet is getting more and more complicated rendering older OS's dead in the water, at least for the internet.

iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2006, 12:46 AM

nice looking ibook, but before you "suck it up" why don't you try mozilla for os9. it might just work well enough for your needs.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2006, 01:56 AM

... don't take this badly, but who in their right mind would give up a 1.33 ghz G4 for an old clamshell iBook that looks like a boulder picked up off the beach with multi-colored paint and an Apple sticker on it... dude, keep your newer iBook.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K
... don't take this badly, but who in their right mind would give up a 1.33 ghz G4 for an old clamshell iBook that looks like a boulder picked up off the beach with multi-colored paint and an Apple sticker on it... dude, keep your newer iBook.
Trust me I know what your saying, but I just dont like the newer iBook. Sure it is faster, and has many more features, but in my humble opinion the keyboard sucks compared to the Clamshell, it is nowhere near as durable, and gets less battery life. Not to mention the "I love this Clamshell" thing I feel whenever I am using it, like now! The newer iBook is in perfect shape, brand new like even, but it just doesnt feel right. I guess I am not in my right mind then, but here are some seczy shots of her all cleaned up and doing her apple updates after a fresh install of Panther (firewire installed for lack of a DVD drive).

Now how in the world can you NOT fall in love with the Clamshell after seeing THOSE digital pics? Even my daughter refused to leave it alone and wanted Barbie to pose with it, lol. Everyone in the house loves it, it will turn heads where ever I go, and people will be amazed at what a 6 year old Apple computer can still do

Cheers!
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 03:09 AM

Oh, and in case anyone asks, the wallpaper is from OS 9, I had the good sense to rip all of them killer wallpapers out and save them before I installed panther over it (clean install of course). If anyone wants the ZIP of them, let me know
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2006, 03:23 AM

well i guess if elli's happy then everyone's happy.
( Last edited by gooser; Sep 8, 2006 at 03:36 AM. )

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by gooser
well i guess if elli's happy then everyone's happy.
I see you visited my blog
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2006, 04:21 AM

yer right brother, just couldn't help it.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 12:18 PM

I only have Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. How did you install Mac OS X 10.3 from an external disk?

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2006, 01:29 PM

I have to admit that the clamshells are quite stylish computers but I wouldn't give up my BlackBook for nothin'! *holds it on chest with arms folded!!!*

*wakes up computer*
*begins typing*
*clicks "Post Quick Reply"*

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
I only have Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. How did you install Mac OS X 10.3 from an external disk?
Oh that is easy! Plug in firewire cable to Clammy, other end into iMac G4. Turn on Clammy holding down the T key for target disc mode. Put Panther DVD into iMac and choose install, iMac reboots into the Panther install and then asks you which drive to install to. Choose drive from Clammy, done.

Once installed and the registration part appears hit Apple + Q to quit. Reboot both systems and Clammy suddenly has Panther to boot to
iMac G4 / Macbook

waffler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2006, 02:49 PM

Funny, I just got a clamshell in the mail yesterday too. It's a Graphite SE 466 with a DVD drive and 20gb HDD and 320mb ram. Bought it for a whopping $75! Do ya'll think that it will run 10.4 well? It has 10.28 right now and runs pretty quickly.

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 03:09 PM

do you think it would be easy to transfer all the internal parts of a MacBook into a ClamShell? i love the designs of these laptops . . . . who wants to do it for me and how much you gonna charge?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2006, 03:13 PM

it will be extremely easy to transfer the innards as long as you don't expect either one to work when you're through.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 03:18 PM

That is a nice Clamshell, congratulations . I reallly like the clamshells, but they remind me somehow of a toy

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
do you think it would be easy to transfer all the internal parts of a MacBook into a ClamShell? i love the designs of these laptops . . . . who wants to do it for me and how much you gonna charge?
$250, but if I break it, it's free.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 06:31 PM

Is the little girl your daughter? She's beautiful!
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
Oh, and in case anyone asks, the wallpaper is from OS 9, I had the good sense to rip all of them killer wallpapers out and save them before I installed panther over it (clean install of course). If anyone wants the ZIP of them, let me know
You know, I think I may take you up on that offer. Think you could email them to theocryst (AT) hotmail (DOT) com?
Originally Posted by waffler
Funny, I just got a clamshell in the mail yesterday too. It's a Graphite SE 466 with a DVD drive and 20gb HDD and 320mb ram. Bought it for a whopping $75!
Whoa, where'd you get a steal like that? My roommate's looking for a laptop, and a deal like that would be perfect for him (a Mac virgin).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
You know, I think I may take you up on that offer. Think you could email them to theocryst (AT) hotmail (DOT) com?

Whoa, where'd you get a steal like that? My roommate's looking for a laptop, and a deal like that would be perfect for him (a Mac virgin).
Sending em off as I type
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by CleoW
Is the little girl your daughter? She's beautiful!
That little 4 year old wonder is indeed my daughter, and she thanks you for the compliment! I already know I am going to be beating the guys away with a shovel when she's older!
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 06:30 AM

Well, now that I am all set with my iMac G4 and my new Clamshell, it is time to get rid of my brand freakin new (couple months old) iBook G4 1.33Ghz. I know I know, why keep the clamshell and not the newer ibook, well... I like the clamshell better what can I say. I really dont know why I got the newer iBook, it is faster then hell and nice with all the cool features, but just doesnt make a statement like the clammy does. That and my wife just picked up the newer Macbook with superdrive, so really we dont need this many macs in the house! So if anyone wants in on a good deal on the last generation G4 iBook head over to....

eBay: iBook G4 1.33 / 80GB / 512MB / Airport / Bluetooth MINT (item 150031224425 end time Sep-14-06 22:46:33 PDT)

...and buy it! The system is MINT, no dead or stuck pixels, perfect casing (hell perfect everything), full charge capable battery, comes with everything that was in the box (box MIA), and works great. It even has the Apple upgrade optional 80GB harddrive. I will include a 3.2 HP digital camera and free shipping if you hit the buy it now. $799 I thought was a good price to set the package at. Jump on it if you want a new iBook my friends

iMac G4 / Macbook

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2006, 01:18 PM

just thought i'd share:

i haven't fired this thing up in months.

it's not that useful, but when i saw it i just had to have one.

here's my other glorified paperweight, which i keep in my office just for sh!ts and giggles

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 02:24 PM

I remember those older Mac laptops! Man a trackball!!! I would love a trackball on a laptop, hehe. If I ever see one of those for sale cheap I will probably buy it just cause. If anything they make awesome word processors!

Thanks for showing. Perhaps we should try and make this the official Clamshell picture thread
iMac G4 / Macbook

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2006, 03:12 PM

Hey tekno, which old school PB is that? God, I loved that design, and the design of the 540. So cool.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2006, 03:51 PM

it's the 170 from the first generation of powerbooks.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
This confuses me. I'm posting right now from a 12" PB G4 with no battery in it (recalled serial, so we're keeping it out until the replacement comes, just to be safe), and I've run my clamshell many times before with no battery installed...

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 10:50 PM

I still have my clamshell and it runs Ubuntu 6.06 full time (original 300 MHz Blueberry w/ 288 MB RAM). 10.3.9 was simply too slow and bloated for the 6 GB HDD. I'm thinking of trying Xubuntu to see the extent of any speed improvements and perhaps picking up extra RAM and a HDD upgrade. This machine still has many more useful years left out of it.

Installation was painless and I was up and running in less than an hour. It's snappy enough in the performance department. Give Ubuntu a try as it already has many wonderful FOSS applications out of the box for your needs. Of course if you can afford the disk space you can always dual boot or run Mac-on-Linux.

As far as OS 9? I would NEVER go back to it outside of work. Browser support is almost non-existant (sans iCab and Mozilla). Netscape 4.x won't cut it with the vast majority of web sites around today. And it doesn't take much to crash the doggone thing, no matter how carefully you resolve extension conflicts, assign more memory to programs, or the like.

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2006, 11:16 PM

ill take u up on that. please pm me 4 email
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2006, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by neverskatewsandles
ill take u up on that. please pm me 4 email
It is easier if you PM me your email, then I will be happy to send em over
iMac G4 / Macbook

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 02:38 AM

I really dont know why I got the newer iBook, it is faster then hell and nice with all the cool features, but just doesnt make a statement like the clammy does.
I guess it is all about perspective. I had the exact same iBook (bought new last fall), and it felt slow from day one. LOVING my new MacBook though.

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2006, 03:02 AM

Sometimes it's not about speed, but taking your time and looking good doing it. Call it the Sunday drive on the internet! This is my sit back, blogging, surfing, chatting, word processing, turn peoples heads while doing it computer. I cant wait til my day off so I can go sit at Starbucks and watch people stare at it, hehe.
iMac G4 / Macbook

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 05:47 AM

... I cant wait til my day off so I can go sit at Starbucks and watch people stare at it, hehe.
Haha! I can just see that that stuck up PC guy from the Apple commercials staring at you and nodding his head in disgust... LOL

BTW, don't flame me for not knowing the PC guy's name.... it's 5 am here. I'm tired.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 10:11 AM

and the pretentious apple guy holding his head saying over and over again, "where did i go wrong?"

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 11:51 AM

It is easier if you PM me your email, then I will be happy to send em over
Sent that over 2 u.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2006, 02:13 PM

Wallpapers on the way to ya!
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2006, 12:29 AM

yo patrick! just curious (and i know you can only judge from memory) but how much slower in panther is your 366 compared with your old 466. thanks

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 11, 2006, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by gooser
yo patrick! just curious (and i know you can only judge from memory) but how much slower in panther is your 366 compared with your old 466. thanks
Honestly I do not see a difference, I think what is more important to these old Clamshells and Panther is memory and Hard Drive speeds. Im not doing anything CPU intensive so taxing that doesnt happen. This one might be a little slower launching apps because of the slower HD, but other then that they seem the same speed.

A friend of mine had a 300Mhz original Tangerine Clamshell and it was just slightly slower, so if the CPU is holding you back from buying one dont let it. HD and Memory are the most important, and for me Firewire.

Cheers
iMac G4 / Macbook

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 07:46 AM

Honestly I do not see a difference, I think what is more important to these old Clamshells and Panther is memory and Hard Drive speeds. Im not doing anything CPU intensive so taxing that doesnt happen. This one might be a little slower launching apps because of the slower HD, but other then that they seem the same speed.

A friend of mine had a 300Mhz original Tangerine Clamshell and it was just slightly slower, so if the CPU is holding you back from buying one dont let it. HD and Memory are the most important, and for me Firewire.

Cheers
Man I can't imagine using that computer and thinking the speed was okay. I was over at my friend's last night using her 700something G4 and had forgotten what it was like back in the day when I had my 500mhz G4 or even my 1.25 iBook, the newer processors and hardware is a much better user experience. I felt like the old stuff was painful to use.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2006, 06:09 PM

Why are you buying such an outdated laptop?

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966
He already explained why he preferred it in the thread; read more closely.
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2006, 11:01 PM

yeah... I of course will use my BlackBook for most everything but I'm thinking of saving up a bit and buying myself an iMac g4... those things just look so cool, and frankly, I don't like living out of my laptop! it'd be nice to have a desktop I could have, say, downloading torrents while I go out and about with my 'book... *looks at eBay and Amazon for iMac G4 prices*

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2006, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966

Because it's cool, man! Get with it!

ChasingApple  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K
yeah... I of course will use my BlackBook for most everything but I'm thinking of saving up a bit and buying myself an iMac g4... those things just look so cool, and frankly, I don't like living out of my laptop! it'd be nice to have a desktop I could have, say, downloading torrents while I go out and about with my 'book... *looks at eBay and Amazon for iMac G4 prices*
I love my iMac G4, I use it for video editing because of the nice large screen and zippy speeds. I thought about getting a G5 iMac back in the day but then decided I didnt like them. Nothing special about them at all, just a flat panel screen really. The G4 was just cool with its swivel screen and R2-D2 base. Still a looker in this house!
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules