Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any real point in buying from apple store anymore?

Any real point in buying from apple store anymore?
Bob Marley
Mar 10, 2007, 10:48 PM

Seriously, the apple store is like the biggest waste now.

Even the refurbished stock cant compare to these prices.

MacMall � #1 Mac Store, iPod nano, Mac Intel, Mac Computers & LCD TVs

save or sell the parrallels: $50
Sell hp photo printer: $50
Free 512USB FlashDrive: $0, but at least its free
Save on case: $10

Thats like 910 in total compared to apple's $1099

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 11:01 PM

That's after you've hassled with a whole bunch of rebates, had MacMall screw up your order five times in a row, tried to get your money back, had no response, and then paid attorney fees to sue them.

Personally, I'd rather go with the Apple store (or any place besides MacMall).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 11:06 PM

The only reason to buy from Apple is if the other stores don't have the product you want in stock.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 11, 2007, 12:16 AM

don't forget custom config orders. for me, my iMac had to have 256mb of Video RAM. there are very few places to get non-stock models. my imac came from b&h. with tax, i saved about $75 by going with b&h.

also, students can get their student discount.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

also, check out resellerratings.com

macmall has had a 1.65 out of 10 average in the past 6 months. not exactly the people you want to count on for rebates. (also note that ecost.com, macmall.com, and pcmall.com are essentially the same store)

interestingly enough, b&h was ranked first with 9.65 out of 10. however, i never had to contact them with service issues. so i can't speak to that. They DID put my 20" iMac box inside another larger box with packing popcorn surrounding it. very good service in that respect. When apple sent me my replacement, they didn't double box it like b&h did.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2007, 12:49 AM

You go to an Apple Store if you want a stock machine or if you want it now. Stores have educational discounts and refreshed units, and the occasional firesale. Stores also are much easier to get repairs from if you bought "in house".

I had a built to order MacBook (all default except a gig of RAM) when it had a small monitor problem. Took to the store, they shipped it off to AppleCare, didn't see it for over a month, and got it back all scratched to hell. After a lot of hassle and photos, they went ahead and exchanged the unit through mail. My local Apple Store sold the exact configuration in house but because mine was online, they couldn't exchange. If mine was also an in house unit, no problems; I would have had my computer back without a problem within minutes.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 01:41 AM

I only buy my computers at the Apple store. For the computer add ons I would go elesewhere, including Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more. Also MicroCenter.
( Last edited by earthlings; Mar 12, 2007 at 07:45 PM. )

variozin
Mar 12, 2007, 02:14 AM

Black Macbook C2D
Price/Package

Apple Store : 15,89000 wons (Korean)
Additions : nothing

A well known and good home shopping site(Korean) : 1557000 wons
Additions : apple mighty mouse (wireless) + notebook sleeve.
Offer until March end.

Which one should I go for ???
( Last edited by variozin; Mar 12, 2007 at 03:22 AM. )

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 02:24 AM

The second, obviously.
Linkinus is king.

digitalscrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 08:55 AM

I'm all for shopping around, but avoid MacMall at all costs - absolutely the worst customer service experience I've ever had. Seriously.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 01:44 PM

I almost always buy from amazon - great service, great return policy, great price with rebate (which I've never had problems with but sometimes have to wait for two months). I will pay more to feel that I'm able to return a product that is defective within 30 days and get my money back or a replacements. I hate buyin from other places now...

Stay away from macmall - they have a lousy reputation and amazon has just a low prices.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2007, 05:41 PM

I've never bought from amazon but have been impressed with their Mac rebates. Is it possible to predict when they offer them, or are they always available?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 07:27 PM

I like MacConnection -- free, fast shipping, no taxes, and they always sell every unit for exactly $5 less then the Apple MSRP. Not to mention they have popular units like the MacBook black with 2 GB of RAM for cheaper then it would be from Apple too.

acoustix
Mar 17, 2007, 01:14 PM

MacMall's shortcomings are well documented on the web, including their "no return for any reason" policy. They sell it to you, afterwards it's your and "someone else's" problem...reason enough right there to steer clear. Amazon will ship it to you free, usually with no taxes or extra fees of any kind, and if you are patient, will also qualify you a nice rebate which you can track and will actually receive. This rebate makes it well worth forgetting about all MacMall's "extras", especially useful things like memory which you can just imagine how strenuously tested and high quality it will be if they are giving it away free. With memory and Hard Drives on MacBooks so easy to switch out and upgrade yourself now, buying them stock is no problem anymore.
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

pundit
Mar 17, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by gnomexp View Post
You go to an Apple Store if you want a stock machine or if you want it now. Stores have educational discounts and refreshed units, and the occasional firesale. Stores also are much easier to get repairs from if you bought "in house".

I had a built to order MacBook (all default except a gig of RAM) when it had a small monitor problem. Took to the store, they shipped it off to AppleCare, didn't see it for over a month, and got it back all scratched to hell. After a lot of hassle and photos, they went ahead and exchanged the unit through mail. My local Apple Store sold the exact configuration in house but because mine was online, they couldn't exchange. If mine was also an in house unit, no problems; I would have had my computer back without a problem within minutes.
I'm looking to buy a Macbook, and can't do it direct from Apple.com (they can't guarantee to get it to me inside of a week,) so I'm pretty much forced to either get it from a different vendor who can overnight it, or buy it retail.

I'd heard that using non-Apple memory voided the warranty, but now understand thats not the case... thats correct right?

What I get from what you're saying, is that if I get my macbook from an Apple retail location, that may make any warranty issue far easier to deal with, so I could return, (and potentially get an exchange unit,) in person rather than needing to send the thing off, if I bought it mail order, even from Apple.com? Is that a common experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the best way to buy.

pundit

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 07:15 PM

Using third party RAM will not void your warranty. RAM upgrade is considered DIY, and Apple makes the guide available online.

Forum Links
Forum Rules