Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mouse, keyboard, usb, dropping out!

mouse, keyboard, usb, dropping out!
kzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2002, 05:02 AM

this sucks.. my g4 400 with os 10.1.5 works fine, except the mouse will drop out every once in a while. Sometimes just for half a second, sometimes it just dies, and I have to unplug and plug it back in on the keyboard. And then sometimes the whole keyboard and mouse will crap out. And when that happens, its usually the usb port... it works again when i plug the keyboard back into the second port in the back. When it happens again I have to restart. I do have a 4*5 wacom tablet connected. This happens at seemingly random times. Oh and my mouse is the microsoft optical. I have the drivers for that mouse installed, but it still does it with out them. does anybody know any solution to this problem? its incredibly annoying.
thank you
keizo

skeedog98
Jul 11, 2002, 09:14 AM

I had the same thing happen to me on my G4 DP500. I would have to keep swapping the mouse around until both USB ports on the G4 died, then I would have to restart. The solution that Apple and I came up with was to replace the mouse. After that it was fine until eventually the second mouse started acting a little funny and then died. I purchased a Logitech wirless optical mouse after that and have had nary a problem till a few weeks ago when it refused to work. After trying other mice and none of them worked I paniced a little, but resetting the PRAM solved it. I also recieved my third apple promouse should I ever need one. I might hang the first two on the wall.

kzo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2002, 05:49 AM

hey thanks man, i tried to zap the pram, by the holding down opt-cmd-p-r, and by the old tech tool form os 9. Im not sure either one was dont correctly so im going to try that again because it's still happening. I dont have any apple warrenty deal either, so they wont be sending me free mice. damn.. now i actully have my old puck mouse plugged in at the same time, so when one fails i just switch.. and ocassionally i have to unplug and switch it from the back. i might try my dads logitech later too.
Any how, does anybody else have any suggestions?

kzo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2002, 01:32 AM

hey, it turns out, you were right.. I've been using my dads logitech and it hasn't happended once. Also my ms optical freezes up on my dads pc too. And I found out my ms optical has a five year warrenty and there is info on this problem on the microsoft website. So in about four weeks I'll get a free replacement from them. Any how, just thought id update you. thanks

kzo

Forum Links
Forum Rules