Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Own a Cube - Be warned: Lengthly Review!

Own a Cube - Be warned: Lengthly Review! (Page 2)
W. Atwood
Aug 17, 2000, 10:16 PM

When Apple starts selling these "cool" new machines for under $1,300, then I'll believe they're serious. Until then, the G4 Cube is just a very costly, very fast fashion accessory. Nothing more.

RAMdrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2000, 10:59 PM

Apple did have a problem with the original propriatary AV connector. But the ADC will *not* be a problem.

Sure, a lot of people will be or are unhappy. But some of those bemoaned the passing of the floppy. SCSI is gone and USB and FireWire are here. (And there are adapters aplenty.) iMacs actually sold well.

Somebody *will* sell ADC to DVI adaptors. But one of the hallmarks for computerphobes is a fear of cable clutter, and the iMac reduced that. The ADC is over due, if limited to Apple machines. But as I said, there *will* be adapters. (I saw a mention of them earlier in this thread, but I haven't seen any online source for them yet.)

I *will* have a Cube�!

Roeve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2000, 01:36 AM

Statement: I know that you must have an iMac slot loader to use iSub.

Question: Is the G4 Cube compatible with iSub?

uvb
Aug 18, 2000, 01:49 AM

The iSub does not work with the G4 cube. It is specifically designed to work with the Harman-Kardon Odyssee speakers in the slot-load iMacs. You can probably use it on a cube, but the lower frequencies won't be routet to the subwoofer correctly.

harnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2000, 01:28 PM

FANGO
Aug 18, 2000, 06:52 PM

You may need a iMac to use the iSub, but the new SoundSticks system (including an iSub) is for sale in the Apple Store and can be used with any Mac with USB. Go check it out.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2000, 12:52 AM

The SoundSticks subwoofer is not the same as an iSub; the internals are different. But here's some good news (I hope) for those hoping to use an iSub with the Cube:

Our informal testing of the iSub shows it appears to work, but since Harmon Kardon supports the iSub, you should contact them directly for compatibility information regarding the iSub and the Power Mac G4 Cube.

Todd
Apple Support Discussions

Circa
Senior User
Aug 29, 2000, 03:41 PM

This is a rally interested thread..
Circa

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2000, 09:01 AM

I read somewhere that the Cube will not recognize the iSub and it's own speakers at the same time. It can only recognize one Sound output at a time as far as the Current Drivers are now written. Perhaps in the future...?
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

Circa
Senior User
Aug 30, 2000, 11:31 AM

I really do hope the iSub is supported by the cube in the future.
Circa

Peter L.
Aug 31, 2000, 05:36 PM

Is the processor upgradable?

Forum Links
Forum Rules