Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I hate my new iPhone 3G

I hate my new iPhone 3G
MacPC
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 07:06 AM

After the first day of excitement, I start not liking my iPhone 3G anymore. Here are my questions:

Why does Apple make it such a closed system? I had to pay another $99 in order to be able to install apps I have written. Perhaps Apple encourages people to jailbreak it? Why all these hassles? This is my phone, I paid for it and I OWN it, not Apple.

The iPhone is such an Internet oriented device, why doesn't it play even the most popular Flash video? I read the NYT, Washington Post, BBC news etc. On the iphone, it can't play any of their video, and on NPR, I can't listen to the live streaming audio. Some contents on Apple's own developer site won't even play.

I was biting the bullet to put up with the unsatisfying AT&T service, but the iPhone itself has been a disappointment to me.

I have been a diligent advocate of the Mac OS, Encourage every single friend and customer to switch to Mac, but I am afraid I can't do the same foe for the iPhone.

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2008, 07:14 AM

I don't hate the device, but it sure if buggy right now.
Yesterday some Apps were acting up so i turned the phone off and then on again.
Once it rebooted, i got a screen showing a cable and it asked to be connected to iTunes.
So I connected it to iTunes and then it forced me to do a RESTORE from backup. Couldn't operate the phone unless I did it.

I'm a pretty cool chick, but when my phone resets for no apparent reason.......grrrrr.
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

ewiser
Jul 28, 2008, 08:18 AM

Have not had any real problems with my iPhone. I think there is a lot of work that needs to be done on 3rd party apps right now. As most where developed without a 3G hardware and now the apps are having problems as far as how they work in the real world.
Flash on the phone is going to have to be up to Adobe and Apple to solve. Flash at present is a desktop app and Adobe is just getting it to work on phones. Having it work in web browser with mutil touch control is a whole new way for flash to work.
It is more complex that just installing the desktop plug in on the phone.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 09:13 AM

No offense but why did you buy one.

The issues and shortcomings you mentioned were not kept from people and in fact they've been fairly well documented and discussed. Why plunk down $$ and sign up for a 2 year contract on a product that did not live up to your needs?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 09:47 AM

I have to agree with MacosNerd.
It is well known that the iPhones are lacking with regard to certain features.
Either be patient or sell it.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 10:21 AM

I concur with the previous two posters. All of these things are well known. If you don't like Apple's terms don't buy it in the first place. That would actually be an incentive for Apple to change these things BTW.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 10:40 AM

I agree with the 3 posters above me who correctly point out that everything you mentioned as reasons for not liking your iPhone 3G were WELL DOCUMENTED before you bought it. It's your own fault you plunked down the money for something that you should have known had the limitations you posted.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 10:51 AM

All of those things were there with the first-gen phone. Did you not research the purchase?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 10:57 AM

Boo hoo. Should have looked into one before you bought. These complaints have been around since last June, but you still chose to buy one. Don't hate it, it's your own fault for buying one anyway.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 11:59 AM

I bought one because my boss asked me to look into the posibilities of R&D, I spoke out because I am a fan of the Mac and I hope Apple can improve on some shortcomings. If it's up to me, I would much prefer the Android, unfortunate that's still a long wait ahead even if it really works out.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by MacPC View Post
I hope Apple can improve on some shortcomings.
We all do but some of your original post's offerings ain't never gonna happen.

Why does Apple make it such a closed system? I had to pay another $99 in order to be able to install apps I have written. Perhaps Apple encourages people to jailbreak it? Why all these hassles? This is my phone, I paid for it and I OWN it, not Apple
When has Apple not been a closed system?

The iPhone is such an Internet oriented device, why doesn't it play even the most popular Flash video? I read the NYT, Washington Post, BBC news etc. On the iphone, it can't play any of their video, and on NPR, I can't listen to the live streaming audio. Some contents on Apple's own developer site won't even play.
I agree on this one and hopefully, we'll get it sometime.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2008, 12:36 PM

I don't think we are going to get Flash on the iPhone until it stops performing like crap under OS X. Apparently there have been improvements to the new Flash beta... one can only hope! It's amazing how my Mac can have a hard time slogging through a 320x240 Flash movie yet have no problems with a 720x480 DVD

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 02:24 PM

I'll never understand why people think that posting complaints targeted towards Apple on a random internet forum is going to get anything done. You say you hope the things you dislike about the iPhone will be "improved" by Apple? Do you think Steve Jobs reads MacNN Forums? Posting here will get you nothing but (well justified) criticism from the other users.

And I understand your place of employment wanting to try out the iPhone for a bit, but the things you mentioned have been known for a very long time. A simple Google search would've saved you lots of time and money. Lack of Flash? That's been known for over a year!

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2008, 02:25 PM

I'm not running down the poster who started this topic, but I wanted to point this out because I've seen it over and over again on Mac related forums across the Internet....

If I buy a TV and I'm FURIOUS after the purchase because it has no built-in DVD player, I alone am to blame and anyone would tell me I'm nuts for blaming Toshiba for selling me a TV without a DVD player built-in. Likewise, if I bought a car that had a V6 and I later said, "Toyota should have sold me a V8!" I'd be a lunatic.

I think it's fair to criticize Apple for not including MMS. Clearly, they are trying to lead the industry away from MMS (and consumers towards Smartphones running OS X instead of standard cell phones). It's not fair to complain after the purchase and say the iPhone is horrible because of it.

Consumers should be more discerning if they don't know; complaining about it afterwards just makes it look like you aren't a good consumer.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't think we are going to get Flash on the iPhone until it stops performing like crap under OS X. Apparently there have been improvements to the new Flash beta... one can only hope! It's amazing how my Mac can have a hard time slogging through a 320x240 Flash movie yet have no problems with a 720x480 DVD
It's a shame, if I owned an iPhone I wouldn't want to be limited to just YouTube. Even though it has a big database of videos, I still like to browse Break.com.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
It's a shame, if I owned an iPhone I wouldn't want to be limited to just YouTube. Even though it has a big database of videos, I still like to browse Break.com.
You can visit Break.com. Once the page with the movie loads I can click where the movie is and it opens in some external full screen viewer and plays.

-Q-
Jul 29, 2008, 11:15 AM

Yeah, sorry you hate it but everything you're complaining about was discussed to death when the first iPhone was released, and there were no indications given that any of it would change (heck, you could even argue that the iPhone became even more closed with the 3G due to the change in activation process).

As with all things in life, caveat emptor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules