Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Using Migration assistant with hackintosh

Using Migration assistant with hackintosh
roders
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2008, 08:53 AM

Can I do this, I have a number of personal files/settings I'd like to transfer from my Core Duo mac Mini to my Shuttle SD32G2 (similar hardware) Hackintosh (only as a barebones at present) including a 45GB Music library (most importantly) Will the migration assistant work, and transfer my music library with this configuration?

idykenano
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2008, 02:43 PM

You would run MA on the hackintosh to connect (probably via firewire) to the mac mini in target disk mode. As long as the hackintosh has FW, I don't see why it wouldn't work. However, I'm not positive and curious to see the result.

Lou_Cioccio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 02:29 AM

I have done this on G4 with a new drive. I installed a new drive which was larger. Now on the hackintosh I would agree with the other fellow a Firewire connection. But before I do that I would clone the hackintosh drive just in case.
I did use migration for the G4 for app,settings mail, images. The new drive was clean install. Let us know how you fair. I too just finished my hack with a ASUS P5K board. Everything works and it is stable. I was able to transfer by network my address book . I really don't see that you should have any problem. Hope your enjoying your "new" computer.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2008, 07:06 AM

I'm curious as well. I wonder if it would work any better on an efix equipped machine since you are using the retail leopard?
Bow chicka bow-wow

Forum Links
Forum Rules