Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you sleep in the nude?

View Poll Results: Do you sleep nekkid?
Poll Options:
Yes 29 votes (44.62%)
No 32 votes (49.23%)
What is this "sleep" you speak of? 4 votes (6.15%)
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll
Do you sleep in the nude? (Page 2)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 03:39 PM

I've tried it several times. I just can't. I'm too scared things might get injured somehow.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2010, 03:43 PM

Stop sleeping next to so many sharp objects.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by tonton View Post
Seriously. If you've never slept in the nude, you really don't realize the "igloo effect" that occurs under the covers. Sleeping in the nude is MUCH warmer than sleeping with pajamas on because your body heat gets trapped under the covers, giving your entire body, even extremities, a much warmer experience.
As has already been pointed out, that’s sheer, utter nonsense. It takes a bit longer to warm the entire ‘igloo’ if you’re wearing pyjamas, since the heat has to penetrate more layers; but once it does (and it’s a difference of perhaps two minutes), there’s really no difference.

Besides, there are other options than pyjamas and complete nakedness. A pair of boxers don’t keep in much heat, but they do prevent things from flopping about annoyingly.

The first time I slept in the nude it felt a little funny. But seriously... it's more comfortable
Not for everyone. I personally find it very uncomfortable. If ever I do manage to fall asleep in the nude, I usually wake up within a few hours from awkwardness of some kind (or pain).

warmer
No.

and if your bed sheets are clean, what the hell is the point in not being nude? Are you that ashamed of yourself?
Who said anything about being ashamed? This is about comfort, not whether you’re ashamed of yourself.

Honestly, I expect most of those answering "no" in this poll are single and under 25.
From my very quick survey of the votes, I’d have to say you expect wrong. Most of the names I recognised well enough to put personalities (or even images) to on the ‘No’ list are over 25.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 06:15 PM

Sometimes I sleep without skin.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Sounds hot (using tonton’s logic). Double entendre ka-ching!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 10:15 PM

Yes. This house is clothing optional.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 16, 2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I've done without PJs for a very long time.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
No PJs ≠ nude
Good point. I do without any clothing when I sleep, and have done so "for a very long time."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2010, 01:55 AM

I don't get the "flopping" thing. What on earth are you doing while you sleep? The mambo?

I turn over a few times as everyone does, and sure, my equipment moves. But you're making it sound as though you're playing tennis.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by tonton View Post
Seriously. If you've never slept in the nude, you really don't realize the "igloo effect" that occurs under the covers. Sleeping in the nude is MUCH warmer than sleeping with pajamas on because your body heat gets trapped under the covers, giving your entire body, even extremities, a much warmer experience.

*snip*
I can vouch for this to be true from experiences with the ex back in the day. However, I think it's only true for some people. Cause I could generate the same effect when sleeping to a point where we'd have to take the sheets off (despite it being in the 30s/40s outside) but my gf apparently couldn't when she tried it alone, she HAD TO bundle up to keep warm.

Apples-inc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2010, 06:03 PM

IN Canada it really cold too buddy
Call me Apples

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Apples-inc View Post
IN Canada it really cold too buddy
I'm not your buddy, pal!
I'm not your pal, friend!
I'm not your friend, buddy!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2010, 07:14 PM

He's not your pal, guy!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 08:01 PM

He's not your guy, friend!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2010, 09:55 PM

He’s not your friend, mom!

DrTacoMD
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2010, 10:18 PM

I don't like things flapping around down there -- it's a bit uncomfortable. So boxers it is.

(I toss and turn a lot when I'm sleeping.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2010, 10:18 PM

NM.

No, really. Never mind.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by DrTacoMD View Post
I don't like things flapping around down there -- it's a bit uncomfortable. So boxers it is.

(I toss and turn a lot when I'm sleeping.)
Have you tried a rubber band?

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
I can vouch for this to be true from experiences with the ex back in the day. However, I think it's only true for some people. Cause I could generate the same effect when sleeping to a point where we'd have to take the sheets off (despite it being in the 30s/40s outside) but my gf apparently couldn't when she tried it alone, she HAD TO bundle up to keep warm.
Farting helps. Haha just kidding.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2010, 06:16 AM

I sleep in t-shirt/underwear.

Less just feels weird when your three-year-old comes marching into the bedroom in the middle of the night and crawls under your covers.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I sleep in t-shirt/underwear.

Less just feels weird when your three-year-old comes marching into the bedroom in the middle of the night and crawls under your covers.
True. Kids is another issue.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Railroader
Banned
Feb 18, 2010, 12:53 PM

Used to go fully nude. Now, as SH mentioned, with a couple kids who climb into bed each morning it feels nauseatingly weird. So I wear a t-shirt and loose flannel boxers.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2010, 04:28 PM

It varies from night to night. Sometimes it's boxers-only, sometimes boxers and t-shirt, sometimes no shirt with pajama bottoms...

But never nude.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 18, 2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
But never nude.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2010, 07:23 PM

"Do these effectively hide my thunder?"

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post

Thank you for that.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2010, 01:46 PM

Nude.

Just swap the duvet thickness to suit the season.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Used to go fully nude. Now, as SH mentioned, with a couple kids who climb into bed each morning it feels nauseatingly weird. So I wear a t-shirt and loose flannel boxers.
While I don't have any kids personally, when I do I hope to raise them to be comfortable with the human body - both their own and others'. Instilling a sense of separation between nudity and sexuality would seem to be healthy to me.

But again, this is coming from someone who doesn't have kids (yet).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
While I don't have any kids personally, when I do I hope to raise them to be comfortable with the human body - both their own and others'. Instilling a sense of separation between nudity and sexuality would seem to be healthy to me.
Oh, absolutely.

My daughter knows what all the parts are, and who has what. We have absolutely no problem with nudity in front of her, nor with cuddling, or taking a bath together, or her discovering her body.

Cuddling up in bed together nude, however, is…different.

At least for us.

Maybe we do have a hang-up there; I don't know.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2010, 04:51 PM

Cuddling up naked is something we most often do with our sexual partners, it's an act that tends to lead to sex, or at least acts of a sexual nature. As a result the act itself becomes sexualized.

I don't think I could ever feel comfortable sharing a bed with a child whilst being naked, nor would I wish to be. I'd rather take the risk of having hangups.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2010, 05:54 PM

It would appear that lots of posters in this thread still have some problem disconnecting "undressed" and "sex."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Feb 21, 2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oh, absolutely.

My daughter knows what all the parts are, and who has what. We have absolutely no problem with nudity in front of her, nor with cuddling, or taking a bath together, or her discovering her body.

Cuddling up in bed together nude, however, is…different.

At least for us.

Maybe we do have a hang-up there; I don't know.
Same here. We only have one bathroom for my wife and my two youngest kids and I don't think I have ever taken a shower without the kids coming in while I was drying off.

Though my daughter (6 year old) used to just run in and use the toilet without a second thought, lately she has developed a sense of privacy and will not use it with a boy in the room. I have no problems with this.
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I don't think I could ever feel comfortable sharing a bed with a child whilst being naked, nor would I wish to be. I'd rather take the risk of having hangups.
Same here. We change in the same room, I help her with her bath, but cuddling in a bed naked with a child will ALWAYS be wrong to me.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Same here. We only have one bathroom for my wife and my two youngest kids and I don't think I have ever taken a shower without the kids coming in while I was drying off.

Though my daughter (6 year old) used to just run in and use the toilet without a second thought, lately she has developed a sense of privacy and will not use it with a boy in the room. I have no problems with this.

Same here. We change in the same room, I help her with her bath, but cuddling in a bed naked with a child will ALWAYS be wrong to me.
Cuddling? Yeah, there's a line there that I think might be crossed by that (depending on the specific situation, naturally). But just sleeping nude and having the kids run in in the morning? I'd see nothing wrong with that, per se.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 22, 2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It would appear that lots of posters in this thread still have some problem disconnecting "undressed" and "sex."
No problems. I see my wife undressed, I want to have sex. That's how we work. It's cool.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
Cuddling? Yeah, there's a line there that I think might be crossed by that (depending on the specific situation, naturally). But just sleeping nude and having the kids run in in the morning? I'd see nothing wrong with that, per se.
I'd have absolutely no problem with that.

However, when the kid comes in in the morning, you generally notice because she's crawled under your sheets with two dolls and a Teddy bear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules