Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WOW!! My New Ti 667 DVI vs. My Old Ti 500.....

WOW!! My New Ti 667 DVI vs. My Old Ti 500.....
gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2002, 12:03 PM

I used to think my Ti 500 was a fairly fast machine, that is until I got my new Ti 667 DVI the other day and got it up and running...

My first thoughts and noticeable differences:

*The build quality seems ALOT sturdier...I almost feel like I could drop this (just kidding)...but seriously, it truly feels alot more stable.

*The Heat....holy cow, this astonishes me....they have cut back on the heat so much it's sickening...I could fry an egg on the back off the Ti 500, new 667 simply doesn't cook....a very welcome enhancement indeed.

*Speed Speed Speed...I am very happy with the speed increase from the 500 rev, and the L3 cache and 133 bus make all the difference in I have a feeling.

*Keyboard: I don't know about anybody else; however, the new 667's keyboards seems ALOT better to me....very crisp and clean. I have always thought the new iBooks had a better keyboard then my old 500, but not anymore...they are on the same page now. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but I truly think and feel something has changed. It's excellent!

*The lid closes evenly now....my 500 didn't rest completely flat because the keyboard stuck up a little too far...not anymore with the 667.

*Resolution....wow, a HUGE difference in work space on the new Ti's....awesome brightness from before as well. Photoshop 7 is a dream....

Well, those are just my personal thoughts on this flat out gorgeous and by far the very best laptop in the world....WAY TO GO APPLE! You have yet again shocked me with this PowerBook...

urrl5201
May 29, 2002, 12:10 PM

You may be even happier after reading the new 667/800 comparo:

<a href="http://www.barefeats.com/pb8.html" target="_blank">http://www.barefeats.com/pb8.html</a>

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2002, 12:25 PM

Wow, very cool.....thanks alot for the link.

I figured the new 667 would be very close to the 800, I am glad I went with the 667 and saved a few dollars while at it in the long run.

Thanks again.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2002, 12:45 PM

Nice to find out that my 667 beats the PowerMac 800 in all but one test.

Wow!

spledekowitz
May 30, 2002, 08:44 AM

How are the seams where the bottom cover meets the sides of the machine? Especially in the area of the DVD/CDR drive?

My 400 has gaps - especially under the drive.

Speddy

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2002, 10:14 AM

The seams are tight, no gaps at all....if there was from the factory, there is NONE now since I took off the back to install my Airport card and made sure the seams were tight when I put it back.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 31, 2002, 10:54 AM

Hey! I've got a Ti 500 and I can't affort a new one at this time. Stop this thread immediatly...

Julian Pransky-Poole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2002, 11:53 AM

Is the new screen resolution TOO SMALL? ie fonts are tiny ?
Please let me know your thoughts
Jools
if it aint broke - break it

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2002, 06:37 PM

Not tiny at all, very clear and crisp....it's great. You WON'T be dissapointed in the resolution.

mikerally
Senior User
May 31, 2002, 07:41 PM

I just got a look at the new Powerbook G4 the other day, and I have to say despite the high resolution, the screen doesn't look small at all, I can read everything just fine!

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2002, 12:18 AM

Now that I've had my 667 DVI for a couple days, here's some observations. Most of these have already been mentioned, but perhaps this will just lend credibility to what others are saying. I owned a TiBook 400MHz prior to this model, so that's what I'm comparing this model to.

- Build quality does feel tighter. It's difficult to put my finger on in general, but there are a few very obvious things. The battery fits more snugly in place. The keyboard feels better, much better. The latch for the display works much better, and the hinge for the display is much smoother.

- The display is bright and crisp. The extra resolution is great.

- The 667 feels very snappy. I ditched a loaded 867MHz to go portable, and I have ZERO regret. Keep in mind I haven't got my extra RAM yet either, so I'm running on a pathetic 256MB right now. Granted once I get a few apps open, things will slow down. However, my biggest test was Virtual PC, which is running Windows 2000 just as quickly as my 867 did - at least as far as my mere mortal perception can detect. That was the slam dunk for me, all I needed to know!

- COOLER MUCH COOLER - no doubt about it this thing runs MUCH cooler. So much cooler. Did I say it runs cooler??? Seriously, much cooler, as cool as my wife's IceBook 500MHz, IMO.

It's too bad Apple took this long to fix some of these issues, but hey better late than never!

I love this machine.

<small>[ 06-02-2002, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: iChristopher ]</small>
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2002, 12:07 PM

What about the 1.5/3.0 hour battery life the web reviews talk about? Isn't that horrible?
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2002, 01:14 PM

Mine is usually plugged in; however, when needed so far the battery has been great. Not sure about how long it lasts, etc. etc. because I haven't run any tests. I am sure Jaguar 10.X will have ALOT of Energy Saver/Battery consumption updates, right now 10.1.4 is the draw back on the battery from what I have heard. I am betting OS 9 gets the usual 4-5 hours all the time.

Just my thoughts.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2002, 01:19 PM

I "conditioned" my battery last night. This required running down the battery from a full charge until the 667 put itself to sleep.

That battery lasted a long time. About 2.5 hours and the last 45 min. I was TRYING to drain the battery as fast as I could. I was playing a DVD, playing a song in iTunes, and opening and closing applications over and over again - trying to get it to swap to disk like crazy.

Still, it took that long to kill the thing off. I was impressed but frustrated because I wanted to go to bed and it kept going and going and going...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by darcybaston:
<strong>What about the 1.5/3.0 hour battery life the web reviews talk about? Isn't that horrible?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2002, 01:56 AM

How do these things resist scratches? This is directed esp. to those of you who have owned previous Ti models and have since upgraded. Of course I'm not going to take a razor balde to it, but how does it hold up in everyday use (ie taking it to the library, etc?)

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2002, 11:20 AM

Well, I am a little "anal" and take care of my TiBook and never subject it to anything that will scratch it; however, I do carry it around everywhere in a very nice bag and haven't noticed any scratches as of yet (in about 2 weeks of full use)...my old Ti500 was in great shape as well and had very little scratches on the bottom when I sold it. I have NEVER had a problem with paint chipping on either model as well.

Hope that helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules