Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The (Un)official Apple Store Locator

The (Un)official Apple Store Locator (Page 2)
Rabid
May 6, 2001, 06:33 PM

this is a fact! I know somone who works for the Peabody Mass fire dept and they have seen the plans for a new store going in the shopping center it will take over the warner bros. store he also told me this is no normal store (they must be thinking different)

Misha
Professional Poster
May 6, 2001, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by mjb23:
Somebody needs to retake their Geography class because you have Littleton located in the state of Utah on the map.
Agreed, but let's not knock his efforts!

FYI Syracuse is in the very East of NY State... move it to the right about a half inch.
Also, Buffalo is up top... move it up-and-to-thright about 3/4" of an inch.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
May 6, 2001, 06:43 PM

Minneapolis needs to move left about 1/4 of Minnesota

------------------

WmZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2001, 08:19 PM

Hey, Mr. Geography,

You see that western (left) rectangular state with the square bite out of its upper right (northeast) corner and the big blob in it (Great Salt Lake) and the Littleton marker in it? Well that�s Utah. And contrary to your map, Littleton, a suburb of Denver, is about 50 miles NNE of dead center of Colorado. Colorado is the state due east (right) of Utah. You could look it up!

And while we�re at it, Chicago is on the shore of Lake Michigan, not inland as shown; Minneapolis is on the west bank of the Mississippi River in Minnesota, not on the east bank of the St. Croix River in Wisconsin as shown; Glendale is between Pasadena and Beverly Hills, i.e. right in the thick of Metro L.A. in terms of the scale of your map, NOT in Bakersfield where you show it. And your positions of SanFrancisco an Palo Alto are too far north although Palo Alto isn�t as far off; and Scottsdale is slightly south of Phoenix, not northwest.

While I appreciate the concept behind the resource of a map of upcoming Apple Stores, people that far off in things geographical shouldn�t play with maps. These may seem like niggling little corrections, but the whole point of maps is to pin things down visually. If you simply wanted to color in the states w/Apple stores that�s one thing, but to get a sense of regional coverages, one must properlay place the datapoints.

Thanks.
WmZ

WmZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2001, 08:26 PM

Misha: Engage brain before flapping gums. Syracuse is exactly halfway between Albany (east) and Buffalo (west). It is due south of the eastern end of Lake Ontario. In short, the map is CORRECT on Syracuse position and you are dead wrong.

Originally posted by Misha:
Agreed, but let's not knock his efforts!

FYI Syracuse is in the very East of NY State... move it to the right about a half inch.
Also, Buffalo is up top... move it up-and-to-thright about 3/4" of an inch.

WmZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2001, 08:30 PM

Pittsburgh is much closer to the northern arm of West Virginia. And NewYork City �touches NJ and is not in CT.

WmZ

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 6, 2001, 08:46 PM

Chill out WmZ..

Some Data points are off, with a disclaimer at the thread's beginning.
If a store's close enough to you to be important, you'll know where it is.
It doesn't matter to someone that doesn't live here(like Switzerland or Bengladesh) if Littleton is in Utah.
It would bother me, but I know I only have to drive 40 miles, not 400 to get to the Littleton store.

MichaelTate
May 7, 2001, 01:01 PM

What about the Mid-West? I say put an Apple store in Nebraska!

andi*pandi
May 7, 2001, 01:25 PM

Peabody? why Peabody? seems odd. If they wanted to make a more central place for all of new england, Portsmouth NH is better... good ol tax free NH...

Peabody?

rothomp3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2001, 08:07 PM

Odd that nobody in this thread has mentioned the only confirmed store yet, even though some posted yesterday! I'm happy about it, it's only an hour and forty-five minutes from my house in Richmond...

For those who have been hiding under a rock, the first Apple store to open will be in McLean, Virginia at Tyson's Galleria (I could have sworn that used to be called Tyson's Corner, but whatever). For the guy doing the map, that would be ever so incredibly slightly south of DC. Basically, DC

Misha
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by WmZ:
Misha: Engage brain before flapping gums. Syracuse is exactly halfway between Albany (east) and Buffalo (west). It is due south of the eastern end of Lake Ontario. In short, the map is CORRECT on Syracuse position and you are dead wrong.
Yea, you're right... I was getting confused with Albany.

RAVasquez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2001, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by jeffhot:
Competing with Microsoft with an Apple store in Seattle may be a little more difficult. I'm not saying there are no Mac users up there, but I bet the community is pretty loyal to Microsoft overall. People tend to get that way when your company employs tens of thousands and turns lots of them into millionaires.

I don't think there are any Airbus stores up there either!! But maybe there is some business to be done with disgruntled ex-Microsoft employees and the angry neighbors of current employees. "That cocky Microsoft jerk, always lets his dog do his business in my yard. I'll show him!"
Speaking as a Seattle-area resident, I'd say we're not entirely loyal to MS. The Computer Store in the University District is one of the best Mac-only stores around, and many cool Mac type like Adam and Tonya Engst live here. (And there are now fewer MS millionaires than there used to be.) I'd personally love to see an Apple Store in downtown Seattle, maybe across the street from Nike Town or in the Pacific Place mall (very posh). Plus, I need a job...

Ramble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2001, 12:37 AM

In the LA area I would put 3 stores if I were apple
1) Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, or some other city in the east valley.
2) 3rd street!!!! or somewhere else in santa monica/west side
3) In orange county probably around UCI, like south coast plaza, or somewhere in snobport beach

mindwaves
May 9, 2001, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Ramble:
3) In orange county probably around UCI, like south coast plaza, or somewhere in snobport beach
UCI is a very good place to put it. I would go there every day.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
May 9, 2001, 09:43 AM

Don't forget the second Illinois location, in Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. That's just a little bit south and west of Chicago.

Wow ... two Apple stores in the Chicago area ... wonder which one I'll visit first!
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

pierce1979
May 9, 2001, 10:47 AM

Apple should be aiming at all major college towns. A good start would be hitting the big ten schools first. IE: Michigan State University has 48,000 students, that number balloons to nearly 75,000 when you add faculty and staff. That is pretty big market to hit, considering that MSU has about 9-10,000 incoming freshmen a year that are required to have a computer by the just newly instituted university policy.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2001, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by jeffhot:
Competing with Microsoft with an Apple store in Seattle may be a little more difficult. I'm not saying there are no Mac users up there, but I bet the community is pretty loyal to Microsoft overall.
But MSFT doesn't make any computer hardware. God, can you imagine...? An XP-inspired box?

EDIT: matteo, what color will the little Apple become when the store actually opens? Black? Green?

------------------
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

[This message has been edited by HeatMiser (edited 05-09-2001).]
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

Cute & Cuddly 'Moron Guy'
May 9, 2001, 01:43 PM

Apple should be aiming at all major college towns. A good start would be hitting the big ten schools first. IE: Michigan State University has 48,000 students, that number balloons to nearly 75,000 when you add faculty and staff. That is pretty big market to hit, considering that MSU has about 9-10,000 incoming freshmen a year that are required to have a computer by the just newly instituted university policy.
Uh... ever heard of a campus computer store (or campus bookstore)? Almost every University that Apple deals with sells Apple Hardware on the spot. Plus, students can get student discounts that they cannot get at an Apple Retail Store.

And opening first in DC is a great idea -- Tyson's is almost always packed and Silicon Swamp is really beginning to take off. Plus it means that I can drop by the store less than an hour after having graduated from college, in front of the White House, and have my parents pick up a "Graduation Present."

As Always,
The Cute and Cuddly "Moron Guy"

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2001, 02:15 PM

Your map doesn't show one of the bigger stores opening in the Pallisades Center Mall in W.Nyack, NY. It is being built between the Target Store and the iMax theater.

SimpleKnight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2001, 02:19 PM

About L.A. stores:

There are at least two possible locations on Third Street Promenade that could support an Apple Store - one at Arizona and 3rd (in the Mann Criterion complex) and one further up the block between Arizona and Santa Monica. If I were wagering, I'd pick the one in the Mann Criterion - think of the foot traffic by those theatres (there's an AMC across the street). Having a store in Santa Monica would be a really smart move, as most of the Los Angeles "digirati" are in SM or Venice, as are many web and tech content companies.

Old town Pasendena would actually be good, too, with all of the high school students and digital media companies there (that's where ideaLabs! is).

For those who don't know, Westwood would also be an excellent choice - it's the "college town" for UCLA, and they've been working to improve it over the last two or so years. There's also a Circuit City in that neighborhood.

my 2 cents.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 9, 2001, 02:41 PM

The link for the Minneapolis store confirmation is broken (the Star Tribune seems to have moved/removed the page). I'll see if I can dig up the article for ya (or you could, depending on which of us has more free time ).

------------------
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else!"
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Tristrami
Senior User
May 9, 2001, 03:44 PM

Relax, fellow Massholes, there won't be an Apple store in P-B-D-, I don't think that Apple would be clueless enough to put one in the City Without Vowels. More then likely, there's a Newbury Street storefront that's got Apple Retail written all over it, a la Banana Republic a few years ago....

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

bcar473
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2001, 03:47 PM

I have another strongly rumored site for a store, the International Plaza Mall in Tampa, FL. It is a great place for the Apple Store (very upscale and cutting edge mall) and I emailed the president of the chain and he clamied that they are presently in negotiations with Apple to have a store there. This was about two months ago and by now they probably have the details all hammered out.

Only problem being that they won't be opening the mall for another 4 months.....oh well....even if we don't get a store in that mall, I am sure that you can add Tampa to the list of sites getting a Mac store (especially with the state of Florida having the MOST education Apple sales, according to my Apple education sales rep.)

section8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2001, 04:41 PM

i used to live around the corner from the Phoenix store. this is a great location, very "money".... right across the street from the Ritz.

bait1065
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2001, 04:49 PM

A store in Kansas City would be nice to take care of the Great Plains. Great Mall of the Great Plains in Olathe, KS (a rapidly growing suburb of KC). Check it out Apple.

LuckyJack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2001, 06:35 PM

Three things:

1. I can't believe that you people are actually excited about working at a retail mall store. It's a MALL STORE SALESMAN, not a product manager.

2. Go there everyday? What do you think, Apple is actually building Cheer's branded juice bars (for all you iBook toting high schoolers) where everybody will know your name? My bet is that these stores will be targeted for SUV driving soccer moms.

3. To contribute to the Boston debate -- Peabody: I highly doubt it. As a previous poster mentioned, Newbury street is a more logical guess.

I'm guessing that they'll be about like Bang and Olufsen stores. Lotsa glam and showcase, not much substance. Only it'll look like a Gap.

Hmmm: Gap, BabyGap, Gap Kids, DigiGap?

newwavedavew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2001, 02:45 PM

While I strongly hope that your post is correct about an apple store in International Plaza, I have to say that this area doesn't support Apple well at all. I can't believe that Hillsborough County went with Compaq in their schools.

Originally posted by bcar473:
I have another strongly rumored site for a store, the International Plaza Mall in Tampa, FL. It is a great place for the Apple Store (very upscale and cutting edge mall) and I emailed the president of the chain and he clamied that they are presently in negotiations with Apple to have a store there. This was about two months ago and by now they probably have the details all hammered out.

Only problem being that they won't be opening the mall for another 4 months.....oh well....even if we don't get a store in that mall, I am sure that you can add Tampa to the list of sites getting a Mac store (especially with the state of Florida having the MOST education Apple sales, according to my Apple education sales rep.)

skeedog98
May 10, 2001, 04:35 PM

This sucks for South Carolina, no stores. North Carolina and most of Virginia, also. Georgia and Florida sure are rumored up though. I would hope SC would get one in Charleton. It would be a shame to have to drive out to Savannah.

MacOS761
Senior User
May 10, 2001, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Don't forget the second Illinois location, in Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. That's just a little bit south and west of Chicago.

Wow ... two Apple stores in the Chicago area ... wonder which one I'll visit first!
Well, you're not going to make it to Woodfield if you go south of Chicago - Schaumburg is a northwest suburb.

Hear that matteo? Northwest!

------------------
I need a new sig.
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Rabid
May 10, 2001, 09:41 PM

Peabody is going to a have a store the plans are at the firestation and this is going to happen

Bet the house on this one

applebug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2001, 11:33 PM

Anyone got any info on the Columbus Ohio store? The link to monster isn't workin right. I'de like to get a job there when it opens if its near me.
AppleBug�
------------------
yeah thats it. iBook SE
Firewire 320Mb RAM
G4 350 1GB RAM
RAM is good

[This message has been edited by applebug (edited 05-10-2001).]
yeah thats it. iBook SE
Firewire 320Mb RAM
G4 350 1GB RAM
RAM is good

Fran441
May 11, 2001, 02:16 AM

this is a fact! I know somone who works for the Peabody Mass fire dept and they have seen the plans for a new store going in the shopping center it will take over the warner bros. store he also told me this is no normal store (they must be thinking different)
At the Northshore Mall? Finally a reason to go there, I guess.

Also, remember that Boston publication AtAT reports that there will be 3 stores in the area. Peabody wouldn't be a bad place for an Apple store if that's the case.

------------------
--------------------------
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!

AppleInsider poster since 1998.
[email protected]

Tristrami
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 11:25 PM

Okay,

So there'll be three Apple Store in the Boston area (woo-hoo). So far the guesses are: 1) Peabody 2)Downtown Boston (Newbury Street/Copley)...where's the third go? Braintree? Framingham/Natick? Worcester? The Cape/Vineyard? Guesses anyone....

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

Tristrami
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 11:26 PM

BTW, where'd the map go...?

JL!
May 13, 2001, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by Tristrami:
BTW, where'd the map go...?
Exactly what I was wondering. Where is it?
If senility were a race, I would win.

subpar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2001, 04:37 AM

i noticed there is an Apple Retail Store confirmed for Dallas...
oddly enough i haven't heard a single thing about this anywhere, and I live there!

anyone got some info about this, you'd care to share?

----
'life is made up of moments....this is one of them'
life is made up of moments...this is one of them

SilyWabit1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2001, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by bcar473:

The state of Florida has the MOST educational Apple sales?!?!? I can't imagine that, especially since Palm Beach County doesn't even have the first Apple that I know of. We aren't exactly a small county, either. I'd love to see some Apple stores around here, and id one did open in tampa, I would be jealous... but I can't imagine FL geting many stores to start off with.

Raman
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by mollicat:
Dallas!!!! Forget Dallas!! HOUSTON needs an Apple Store! Doggone it! C'mon Apple-HOUSTON!!!!!
I've got the perfect location-Memorial City Mall, I-10 and Gessner Rd. It's undergoing a major renovation, centrally located; no major computer stores nearby (unless you count a crappy "Gateway Country" a few miles down the road, or Circuit City/Best Buy...naah, they don't count)
Best of all, it's quite nearby my home
I want a part time job there-with a nice hardware discount
C'mon Apple! I know you read these forums. Play nice!
HOUSTON! HOUSTON! HOUSTON!
Free idea for commercial: "Houston, the Apple has landed!"
----
mollicat
AMEN, BROTHER! Houston definately needs one. I think they should put a big one in Copperfield or out by Compaq near the Gateway Country Store at Willowbrook mall.

el matteo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 14, 2001, 04:16 PM

Hpoe that's better. I apologize -- I don't know where every city in the US is (unlike, apparently WmZ does) so there's no need to be a condescending jackass (you know who you are) when you correct me.

el matteo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 07:44 PM

Well, nobody can say my first post is inaccurate anymore.

Macintosh
Banned
May 15, 2001, 08:11 PM

Do you think Apple will have stores in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh? I hope so. Pennsylvania needs more mac propaganda.

mindwaves
May 15, 2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Ramble:
3/4 Not bad IMO

Bockie
Mac Elite
May 15, 2001, 09:27 PM

So is there an official list of the stores that will be opening? It seems that there is a dot in middle Georgia.

------------------
"Life cannot be contained...Life finds a way."
-Ian Malcom, Jurassic Park (movie version)
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 15, 2001, 09:38 PM

yeah, I want a list!! I can't see the west coast on that pic of a map on a wall on the first post...

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Macintosh
Banned
May 15, 2001, 09:46 PM

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 15, 2001, 09:47 PM

what does that have to do with anything???
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Macintosh
Banned
May 15, 2001, 09:49 PM

?Just being outrageous?

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 15, 2001, 09:50 PM

Outrageous get's very old, very quick.

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls

Tristrami
Senior User
May 16, 2001, 01:16 PM

Hey el,

Any chance you can update your map to show:

Confirmed
Rumored
Opened

That would be great. And (condescending jerks notwithstanding), keep up the good work!

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

bcar473
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 03:06 PM

According to the educational sales person that is OUR school's rep. at the Apple Sales center in Austin, TX., he told me that Florida IS the top for educational sales... I know that many of the counties around the state and country are moving away from Mac, but I'm sure that there are counties that do have macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules