Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime broken with IE update?

Quicktime broken with IE update?
frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2001, 09:49 PM

I just updated to the new IE today. IE, for some reason, has never worked for me (crashes pretty much a few seconds after launch). I was hoping the update would fix that, but it didn't. The problem now is that the new Quicktime plugin that came with IE seems not to mesh with OmniWeb. It doesn't work at all anymore. Does anyone else have this problem?

Ununnilium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I do. Hopefully it won't be another 2 months before we see a fix.

iamnotmad
Senior User
May 23, 2001, 10:49 PM

Yup, same problem here, this is real shame. I use omniweb almost exclusively, but now no QT! maybe this will get the drop down menu in QT in OW fixed too though!
Omnigroup, any scoopage here?
Thanks!

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 01:01 AM

What kind of problems are you guys experiencing? I've installed the new IE and QT still works in OmniWeb just fine. I still don't get a pull down in OmniWeb though.
Who'sDaMac?

macmicke
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 09:13 AM

Yep, read the thread and tried the quicktime trailer web site. I don�t get a square which says "click here to play" anymore!!
All of this because of an update I really wont use, hmm sad. I hope omniweb releases OW 4.1 soon. Please
The real MacMicke�

dark3lf
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 11:09 AM

After reading this thread, I've discovered that QuickTime in OW 4.0 no longer works for me after installing IE 5.1.1, as well.

SYN
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 11:38 AM

Yep, broken here too.

------------------
Soyons realistes, demandons l'impossible.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Patrick D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 01:49 PM

Yep, QuickTime support is now broken in OmniWeb and streaming content is highly disfunctional under the new Explorer. It works, but with a flickering spinning wheel and dimmed controls until the stream is fully loaded. Many other people are seeing the same thing, and curiously some don't. Damn, this is going to be tough to track. How could such a bug pass any decent Quality department ? Way to go Microsoft!

ntsc
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 02:12 PM

[rant]

Thanks a bunch Microshaft

I would rather you hadn't released the update at all if it starts breaking other programs. Perhaps that is why IE is so sh!te - they have never used OmniWeb in Mac OS X. They obviously don't otherwise they wouldn't have spotted this bug a mile off. DAMN YOU MIROSOFT!! Why do you always make my life more difficult that it has to be!!

[/rant]

Sorry about that but this is VERY unacceptable. Sent some feedback to OmniGroup since i couldn't be bothered to figure out how to send feedback to mirosoft. My point is a should be telling Omni to fix their app because Mirosoft have decided they have to change one crappy beta with another.

Opinions...

------------------
"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance"
-Aesop

iMac DV 400Mhz
Mac OS X 10.0.3
320MB RAM
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

iamnotmad
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 02:36 PM

Agreed, let us know what Omni says, I was going to mail them tonight, but surely they've gotten enough emails on this already!
thanks.

ennerseed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 06:16 PM

me to, I know its kinda redundant to say I have the same problem, but for statistics sake....

dark3lf
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 06:30 PM

Please pardon my ignorance, but why would a M$ application affect other applications, expecially break OW's QT use? I thought OW had it's own QT plug-ins, not borrowing IE's stuff. I hope M$ doesn't start trying to take over my desktop.

paulapplegate
May 24, 2001, 07:02 PM

My OW won't play quicktime movies either...this sucks...

ehintz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 07:04 PM

Ok, I'm on Mandrake 8/Netscape on my Dell, so I can't try this:
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/out...b-4.0.1sp2.dmg

It's dated the 19th, so it may not do anything. Anybody want to download it at let the world know?

daddyovi
May 24, 2001, 07:15 PM

iMovie now reports that it can not connect to my cannon videocam because Quicktime Firewire DV drivers are not installed. It worked fine before the IE upgrade.

If it turns out that IE broke firewire on my system, first chance I get I'll reinstall OSX from scratch and switch to omniweb ... or at least not upgrade IE ...

Just my luck, I found the problem when I was trying to demo to a PC convert why the integrated firewire on Macs is worth him going that route in his new-found interest in digital video.

Not good at all

t_hah
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 07:27 PM

Same problem here....no QuickTime in IE. Flash stopped working as well.

Bill...please stop screwing with us! We are just poor Mac users...please mess with your peecee people

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 07:30 PM

I just checked both my OW and my firewire Canon minidv video cam in iMovie. OW Quicktime is broken here too - which of course, really sucks since I prefer OW over IE by a pretty wide margin.

But my video cam still works fine with iMovie.

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2001, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by ehintz:
Ok, I'm on Mandrake 8/Netscape on my Dell, so I can't try this:
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/out...b-4.0.1sp2.dmg

It's dated the 19th, so it may not do anything. Anybody want to download it at let the world know?
Well I've just installed it and initial impressions is that it is faster than the last release!
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Slick
May 24, 2001, 07:44 PM

yeah, this all sucks, but IE dosnet try to unstuff archives with the classic version of Stuffit

Tom Slick
May 24, 2001, 07:49 PM

yeah, this all sucks, but IE dosnet try to unstuff archives with the classic version of Stuffit

the_sisko
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 07:53 PM

I have the same problems, but for me it started a couple weeks ago--it was either when I updated to 10.0.3 or downloaded OmniWeb 4.1. When I installed the latest IE things still didn't work, but Quicktime in web browsers was broken for me before I downloaded the latest IE.

A UNIX Guy
May 24, 2001, 08:29 PM

Me too. Did a UNIX find and saw the following mod date matches:

195468 0 drwxrwxr-x 5 root admin 264 May 23 10:07 /Library/Internet Plug-Ins
195471 240 -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 115568 May 23 10:07 /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/iTools Plug-in
195474 0 drwxrwxr-x 7 root admin 264 May 23 10:07 /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin/Contents
375806 1136 -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 570232 May 23 10:07 /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Shockwave Flash NP-PPC

and:

374572 0 drwxr-xr-x 3 don staff 264 May 23 10:07 /Library/Receipts/MicrosoftIE5.pkg
374573 0 drwxr-xr-x 3 don staff 264 May 23 10:07 /Library/Receipts/MicrosoftIE5.pkg/Contents
etc.

The same time stamp is on the Software Update Cache and softwareupdate.log
files. Nothing else has the same timestamp.

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 09:43 PM

OW: busted
iMovie w/ Canon Elura2: still works

OmniGroup: An update would be great! I really really want to use OW exclusively. I'm sick of IE and OW is pretty good as it stand now.

------------------
I got a yellow slinky from Outpost.com

macunix
May 24, 2001, 10:30 PM

i don't have IE on my system and i never will. however, today i downloaded the
latest version of omniweb and went to CNN to view the QT movie of my new hero Sen Jeffords.
he spoke about one sentence and the system completely froze, with considerable
disk I/O noise. cmd-opt-esc didn't work, i couldn't bring a terminal window to
the front to kill OW. so i restarted, tried again, got freeze again. so i don't know
if the problem is QT OW or CNN, but it sure aint IEvil. i hope it's not all QT url,
i'll try some more tomorrow.

rw
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2001, 12:00 AM

[Why aren't members allowed to delete their own posts?]

[This message has been edited by rw (edited 05-25-2001).]
Dang! I forgot to uncheck the "Show Signature" button again!

nibs
Forum Regular
May 25, 2001, 02:53 AM

brothers:
i feel your pain.

the plug-in is in /Library/"Internet Plug-ins"...

get the old plug-in off the cd, and trash the new one.

bab
May 25, 2001, 09:15 AM

Nibs-
I've looked on the X cd, and find no "internet plugins" or "plug-in"

Could you or someone post the old one in an idisk?

thanks
bab

ms. mac_convert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 10:14 AM

Typical Microcrap!

Just think, I used to run a PC!

JL!
May 25, 2001, 02:41 PM

Hey all. I'm at WWDC, and I spoke with some of the OmniWeb people. Basically what happened is that the IE Update installs a new plugin or messes with the plug-in for OmniWeb because OmniWeb and IE use the exact same plugin. It's in the same location and everything.

IE updated it somehow (something about it being BP for "browser plugin" rather than NP for "Netscape plugin"? I didn't get that part) and it's literally a one-line fix that Omni has to do when they get home from WWDC to make it work. It'll take just a few minutes to do apparently, and they'll make it work. They've also already spoken with the M$ IE Mac team lead here (he was also at WWDC) and made everything will work out OK. Don't worry about it.

JL!
If senility were a race, I would win.

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2001, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by JL!:
Hey all. I'm at WWDC, and I spoke with some of the OmniWeb people. Basically what happened is that the IE Update installs a new plugin or messes with the plug-in for OmniWeb because OmniWeb and IE use the exact same plugin. It's in the same location and everything.

IE updated it somehow (something about it being BP for "browser plugin" rather than NP for "Netscape plugin"? I didn't get that part) and it's literally a one-line fix that Omni has to do when they get home from WWDC to make it work. It'll take just a few minutes to do apparently, and they'll make it work. They've also already spoken with the M$ IE Mac team lead here (he was also at WWDC) and made everything will work out OK. Don't worry about it.

JL!
Thanks for the word JL!

I was VERY reluctant to go back to the previous plug-in, I'm glad to hear Omni will release a fix for this. I guess it's just bad luck this happened while they were away on the WWDC.

Again, thanks for the info...

F

t_hah
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 05:47 PM

Cool!

Omni Group is great!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 26, 2001, 05:05 AM

I have not had any luck playing QT movies in OmniWeb, they always download to my hardrive. I love OmniWeb and would really dig on being able to watch QT films in the actual browser. This has been going on since I first downloaded OmniWeb (which was on the first day I got X which was the 24th.... ) Anyway, any ideas as to why this is happening?

frawgz  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2001, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
I have not had any luck playing QT movies in OmniWeb, they always download to my hardrive. I love OmniWeb and would really dig on being able to watch QT films in the actual browser. This has been going on since I first downloaded OmniWeb (which was on the first day I got X which was the 24th.... ) Anyway, any ideas as to why this is happening?

I'm pretty sure this is simply because it's how OmniWeb works. If you want to view a movie in OmniWeb, you'll have to request this feature - that is, have movies be downloaded and viewed inline with the QT plug-in. An option to toggle this in Preferences would be nice.

kenjoy
May 27, 2001, 10:52 AM

someone has put the old plug-ins in their iDisk public folder (username "fleetwood")...fixed the problem we've all been having...

mumble
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2001, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by JL!:
IE updated it somehow (something about it being BP for "browser plugin" rather than NP for "Netscape plugin"? I didn't get that part) and it's literally a one-line fix that Omni has to do when they get home from WWDC to make it work.
The previous plugin (5.0) is type 'NSPL' while the new one (5.0B) is 'BRPL', and OmniWeb's NetscapePluginSupport plugin is only looking for the first. While it's always nice to assume a Microsoft conspiracy this is most likely Apple's fault

Rickster
Mac Elite
May 27, 2001, 10:24 PM

The "BRPL" fix is in; expect to see it in OmniWeb 4.0.1 sometime in the next few days.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

macFanDave_unreg
May 28, 2001, 02:01 PM

David Butler over on a Macfixit forum fixed it.

Rename the new QT plugin in the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder (I called it IEQuickTime Plugin.plugin")

If you didn't store the old one, go to fleetwood's Public folder in iDisk and download the old plugins.

Move QuickTime Plugin.plugin into the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder.

Now I can play movies in both browsers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules