Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb Crashes . . .

OmniWeb Crashes . . .
milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 11:03 AM

. . . are almost inevitable when filling out forms of some sort. I can reproduce the crash every time by say, typing quickly in one of the fields, or switching to another field quickly, or by deleting too fast. This occurs with all SSL connections - to personal banking sites especially, but also when say, posting in these forums. I have to type very slow and carefully, and still, sometimes it crashes. I haven't sent a crash report to OmniWeb yet, because I'm concerned about what that document might say about my personal banking info, for example, but is this a known issue. I love OmniWeb - especially the privacy settings and the beautiful interface - and can live with the speed, or lack thereof, but this means I have to use Explorer for my main, reliable browse - yeck! This only started happening with the final release, and the one before it (rc1?). I can't remember this happening with any of the previous builds. Help me salvage the best browser on X.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2001, 01:15 PM

Because OS X in general is short on java and OmniWeb suffers in that respect as a result, have you tried disabling java and script? Do you have 256MB RAM perchance? (More helps) and what Mac?

Hopefully the latest beta for OmniWeb is more stable and such.

Can you find and more your cookie and preference file for OmniWeb in case those are corrupted? even a new application can have trouble with old pref files.

I have had problems but not those.

milhaus  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 02:30 PM

I was in the process of making a reply to your post when it did it again. I haven't tried disabling Java or Script, since that would likely make it as unusable as it is now, except for different reasons.
Were talking about a Pismo G3 with 768 megs of physical RAM, 10.0.3, and the current release version of OmniWeb. As for the preferences, this was a complete reinstall of OmniWeb, so there were no old prefs. That said, I could still try deleting them, but I can't really see that making a difference. What files are we talking about here?
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2

earlypinterplays
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 03:58 PM

I've encountered the same problem. Repeatedly.

IE for forms, unfortunately.
The antipathy we feel towards Windows is roughly commensurate with how the rest of the planet views America.

milhaus  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 10:12 PM

Well, I found other references to this, and a promise of a fix in 4.01. So there we go! see this link: http://new.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...b=5&o=14&part=

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by milhaus:
. . . are almost inevitable when filling out forms of some sort. I can reproduce the crash every time by say, typing quickly in one of the fields, or switching to another field quickly, or by deleting too fast. This occurs with all SSL connections - to personal banking sites especially, but also when say, posting in these forums. I have to type very slow and carefully, and still, sometimes it crashes. I haven't sent a crash report to OmniWeb yet, because I'm concerned about what that document might say about my personal banking info, for example, but is this a known issue. I love OmniWeb - especially the privacy settings and the beautiful interface - and can live with the speed, or lack thereof, but this means I have to use Explorer for my main, reliable browse - yeck! This only started happening with the final release, and the one before it (rc1?). I can't remember this happening with any of the previous builds. Help me salvage the best browser on X.
Well I can say this Omniweb 4.0.1sp2 is the most stable browser I have ever used! It has crashed 2 times in 1 week! Absolutely fantastic!

--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 03:45 AM

I had the same problem - filling in forms or tabbing to text fields - all problems seem to have gone in Omniweb 4.0.1sp2!
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by penfold:

I had the same problem - filling in forms or tabbing to text fields - all problems seem to have gone in Omniweb 4.0.1sp2!
BTW there is an article on macfixit - about increasing Omniweb performance - try setting your cache settings to 60, 120, 120 - it works.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 30, 2001, 04:28 AM

Penfold - what do you mean by that ? Can you provide a link to that article ?

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Penfold - what do you mean by that ? Can you provide a link to that article ?
Sure - sorry I should have done that: http://www.macfixit.com/macosx.shtml#omni-05-29

Hope it helps.

milhaus  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2001, 08:53 AM

Penfold, could you tell me where you got the 4.01? It's not available yet, is it?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2001, 09:56 AM

It seems impossible to get all pages to show at readable font size, and OmniWeb is slow to increase/decrease size or go back, no matter how long or short the cache time settings. IE maybe makes better use of RAM and doesn't reload from the web site so it is for me immediate when I "command +" to increase, or hit command + [ to go back.

Copy a page, then try to paste it into TextEdit. You can't download as rtf and the html doesn't render well in Word 98, maybe in TextEdit, not sure.

I often want to send a url or page to someone (Eudora or Mail). I don't see a command.

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 10:05 AM

Penfold, could you tell me where you got the 4.01? It's not available yet, is it?
The URL was posted on these boards some where - I downloaded it from Omniweb - it was not a password protected ftp sever - so I thought 'fair game' sorry to omniweb if I did wrong. But it IS EXCELLENT, like I said earlier - very few crashes - this is the sneaky peak release though.

I've just scowered the boards for the last 30 mins and cannot find any trace of the post - hmm! By all accounts expect 4.0.1 in the next few days.

[This message has been edited by penfold (edited 05-30-2001).]

milhaus  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2001, 03:12 PM

I found the url listed in a thread you can find by searching for 4.0.1sp2. The file is no longer there, but if you truncate the url a bit, leaving off the file name, you will find Sneaky Peek 4. Thanks penfold.

Forum Links
Forum Rules