Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 interesting and good

G5 interesting and good
billybob128
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 04:33 PM

i have been put in charge of a board at school that deals with new computer stuff and as all the lemmings that have done this previously did windows stuff in a completly mac school i decided to do lots of mac stuff for it so far i hav the idea of putting this new compurter on it is the fastest in the world weighing in at a heafy how ever much, the G5 o wat could i say about it with enough real evidence to turn heads?

P.S any other ideas for the board welcome like recruiting for the team...

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 04:46 PM

I'm sorry but I can't really understand what you are asking, if anything.

Are you in charge of purchasing new computers or organizing IT type of events for students?
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 04:55 PM

i wish im one of the students its like a message board on the wall sorry if i mislead people

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 04:58 PM

you make absolutely no sense at all. i dont know what the hell youre talking about

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2003, 05:07 PM

I think he's saying that he's in charge of the school message board and he wants stuff to put on there about the G5 and how good it is etc.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by herbsman:
you make absolutely no sense at all. i dont know what the hell youre talking about
Neither do I.

I had thought he was part of a committee purchasing hardware, but on second glance that doesn't seem correct.

Jermsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 05:11 PM

Sentences are your friends!

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 05:38 PM

Sentences are your friends
yes the probably are here ill try a bit simpler:
im a student

incharge like guessed of a message board

i wish to put stuff up there preferably about new apple stuff

all help greatfull as im bad at this type of thing

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2003, 06:54 PM

Before posting Mac news on your school's bulletin board, I suggest you review your grammar lesions. Punctuation is your friend. It makes things oh so much easier to read

With that said, you can find some Mac-related news on Apple's press-release site. Apple also has articles on using Macs in educational settings on their Education pages.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 07:00 PM

His name is "billybob" after all. Gramatically correct full sentences are optional in that part of the country, no?

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
grammar lesions.
I was going to correct YOU but after reading the original post I think your choice of words is correct in this case.

-Jerry C.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 07:06 PM

wow.. how did you pull off over 270 posts with grammar like that?!

Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 07:15 PM

i wish im one of the students
Holy balls. With grammar like that? The US education system is in serious trouble... =)
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

GeoMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 07:18 PM

hmmm, before everyone beats on his grammar, maybe his first language isn't english?
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30
GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by JustinD:
Holy balls. With grammar like that? The US education system is in serious trouble... =)
Well, at least he's not a teacher...

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2003, 08:20 PM

damn, take it easy on the kid. he is probably at home crying now.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 9, 2003, 08:45 PM

**** you all for not helping billybob.

billybob, try to get pictures off the Apple website, print them out in color and put them on the board.

Get pictures and info from here:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Not sure if people at your school would understand the SPEC results but you can put that on the board too.

Say it that it was the first consumer 64-bit computer to be released.

Hopefully, people will stop harassing you about your grammar and start helping you instead.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 09:20 PM

Don't laugh too hard -- in the Boston area there has been a controversy over a school system's superintendant failing an English proficiency exam multiple times. In the name of political correctness people are bending over backwards to make excuses for the guy.

Back on topic then...

Originally posted by Icruise:
Well, at least he's not a teacher...

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2003, 02:28 PM

i love this place i really do it makes me p*ss myself with laughter (in a good way). my grammer here is only bad because i type short hand to speed things up. if needed i can type/write well.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 04:31 PM

One word: Ritalin.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2003, 04:49 PM

ritalin?

Jermsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 04:54 PM

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ritalin
ritalin

n : a central nervous system stimulant (trade name Ritalin) used in the treatment of narcolepsy in adults and attention deficit disorder in children

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 05:06 PM

this thread is wrong in so many different ways

gethigh
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by billybob128:
ritalin?
It's "candy" to make your brain work a bit quicker...kinda like zoloft .

Considering that your "short-hand" required that you post 3 times to clear up your point, it wasn't all that "short" was it?

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2003, 05:57 PM

i have been put in charge of a board at school that deals with new computer stuff and as all the lemmings that have done this previously did windows stuff in a completly mac school i decided to do lots of mac stuff for it so far i hav the idea of putting this new compurter on it is the fastest in the world weighing in at a heafy how ever much, the G5 o wat could i say about it with enough real evidence to turn heads?

P.S any other ideas for the board welcome like recruiting for the team...
Also try this one

http://www.apple.com/education/

There are many links on the education part of Apple's site, check it out and put the info infront of the people in charge of the money at your school.

That might help.

West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2003, 06:13 PM

Yes, but so much more amusing than discussions of G5 Xbench scores.

Originally posted by videian28:
this thread is wrong in so many different ways

Jermsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 06:42 PM

When I can't stop my fiddlin'
I just takes me Ritalin
I'm poppin' and sailin', man!
Am I taking this too far?

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2003, 07:35 PM

Yes, I think you've hurt billyjoebob's feelings. Please apologize immediately.

Originally posted by Jermsy:

Jermsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 12:26 AM

Sorry billybob, I was laughing with you, not at you.

pdovinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 02:00 AM

I just have to ask a question even if you'll trash me:

Would some of you still make the same statements if you knew ahead that I was mentally deficient and really needed help getting Apple info?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by pdovinh:
Would some of you still make the same statements if you knew ahead that I was mentally deficient and really needed help getting Apple info?
This is just a mild-mannered drubbing from an obviously incoherent post. It was not someone who struggles to understand the nuances of the English language, but someone who can't be bothered to try.

If you read threads from posters who are not native English speakers, they are received in a much less harsh light. I suspect that someone with mental deficiency would be treated in the same vein (i.e. with courtesy).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

AngryAngel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 02:13 PM

You can't print anything worthwhile from the crappy little web pics, and they look poor with the black blackground (and will waste a ton of toner/ink).

Try here:
http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/powermac/pmg5.html

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
This is just a mild-mannered drubbing from an obviously incoherent post. It was not someone who struggles to understand the nuances of the English language, but someone who can't be bothered to try.

If you read threads from posters who are not native English speakers, they are received in a much less harsh light. I suspect that someone with mental deficiency would be treated in the same vein (i.e. with courtesy).
Exactly. Although I suppose there may be times when it's hard to tell the difference, most of the unintelligible posts and terrible spelling come not from people who have learning disabilities or who are not native speakers of English, but people who don't take the time to even go back and read what they've written. I take that as an insult. If they don't have enough respect for the people they are addressing to make a reasonable effort at good writing, why should we help them?

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Exactly. Although I suppose there may be times when it's hard to tell the difference, most of the unintelligible posts and terrible spelling come not from people who have learning disabilities or who are not native speakers of English, but people who don't take the time to even go back and read what they've written. I take that as an insult. If they don't have enough respect for the people they are addressing to make a reasonable effort at good writing, why should we help them?
Agreed. No one said the grammar had to be perfect, but his was completely unreadable.

Also, after reading posts on message boards/blogs/etc. with contributors from all over the world, you learn to pick out the ones who have trouble because english isn't their native language. Usually they have trouble with placement of adjectives (most romantic languages use the adjective AFTER the noun instead of before; basicallly "car red" instead of "red car").

Billybob is quite the opposite. He reminds me of far too many people I've interacted with taking online courses in college and such (though it's less evident at the college level as opposed to highschool, since grammar tends to much more directly effect your grade in postsecondary education land). When they speak, they speak perfectly clearly; to go further they often WRITE (as in papers/formal letters) very well too. It's when they hit the internet that the grammar goes to hell and you start seeing single-letter words that don't exist and are only TRULY necessary/useful when using some type of limited text input (such as on a cell phone).

I know billybob was asking an honest question, and recieved quite a few great answers despite his incomprehensible post (I thought he meant he was a member of some sort of board deciding IT purchases); however I totally agree w/ Icruise on this one... if he won't take the time to make sure we can READ his question, he shouldn't expect an answer

It's possible folks... I read tons of posts every day on here from people who are OBVIOUSLY from other countries; yet at the very least, their sentences/thoughts are structured such that you can understand what they're trying to say. That's why no one gives them sh** about it, because they are making an honest effort to communicate clearly in a language that isn't their own (and most do a damn good job of it I might add).
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Jermsy:
Not at all;

Best... Simpsons... Ever...

Well, not really, but definitely a top-tier episode
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
Sep 11, 2003, 04:45 PM

i agree that i should attempt to type better for you lot out there and in future i really will try.

but one request as you know i obviously read these replies so could you not refer to me in the third person

pdovinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I have always thought that most of you guys on this site are cool and very helpful.

I don't normally post unless I have a real problem or ran into something that is very objectionable.

In general, I enjoy reading your posts and learned a lot from all of you. I also found that many comments, opinions and suggestions posted are stimulating.

I was just surprised a little bit after reading some of your responses to billybob... But now, I understand.

pd

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2003, 07:06 PM

the end time is near
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Lyra
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Boochie:
His name is "billybob" after all. Gramatically correct full sentences are optional in that part of the country, no?
Damn, you just took that idea straight out of my head!!! It was just what I was thinking...

"Billybob"... Boa, yu ned to go to skul an learn to writ! (trying to communicate in his language...)

How the hell can anyone put someone like that in charge of anything?? Woops, sorry I forgot about George Bush... It can happen I guess...

�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 07:34 AM

Billybob for President!

Originally posted by Lyra:
Damn, you just took that idea straight out of my head!!! It was just what I was thinking...

"Billybob"... Boa, yu ned to go to skul an learn to writ! (trying to communicate in his language...)

How the hell can anyone put someone like that in charge of anything?? Woops, sorry I forgot about George Bush... It can happen I guess...

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by herbsman:

L O L !!!!

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 13, 2003, 03:38 PM

as all the lemmings that have done this previously did windows stuf...f

Topic posted by Billybob in the games forum looking for lemmings:

is there a mac coppy around i dont mind if its on classic just hav a great craving to play this again
Could Billybob be having fun with us here?

-Jerry C.

Forum Links
Forum Rules