Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cool Camino Thingie

Cool Camino Thingie
Aramas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 03:17 AM

I've been fiddling around with Camino for a couple of months as a second browser. The inability to turn off animated gifs ruled it out for general use. Anyway, I recently found Camino Extra Prefs which allows turning off animated gifs and favicons, does the .css ad removal and a bunch of other things. Now Camino is my main browser. Using a recent nightly build, ad removal and fast rendering it's drastically faster than Safari with Pith Helmet.

Try it!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2004, 03:36 AM

Awaiting angry reply from the FireFox Cops™ in 3... 2... 1...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Aramas:
I've been fiddling around with Camino for a couple of months as a second browser. The inability to turn off animated gifs ruled it out for general use. Anyway, I recently found Camino Extra Prefs which allows turning off animated gifs and favicons, does the .css ad removal and a bunch of other things. Now Camino is my main browser. Using a recent nightly build, ad removal and fast rendering it's drastically faster than Safari with Pith Helmet.

Try it!
Just out of curiosity, did you enable the HTTP Pipeline thing? Or the immediate page rendering option? If so... do you think it made a difference?
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2004, 07:11 PM

Cool. I can now use Camino as my default again. I couldn't use it mobile because I couldn't disable image loading (manual editing of a user.js file didn't seem to work.)

Nice.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 09:43 PM

With 0.8.2 and this I've started using Camino as my default browser again too, for the first time since Chimera.

I'm liking it pretty well -- definitely smoother than Safari or Firefox on my Pbook 667. I really miss spellcheck though!

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 10:03 PM

looks cool.
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

Aramas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 10:31 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you enable the HTTP Pipeline thing? Or the immediate page rendering option? If so... do you think it made a difference?
Both, but I have no idea whether either work. I just know that it's fast and I'm happy with that

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
With 0.8.2 and this I've started using Camino as my default browser again too, for the first time since Chimera.

I'm liking it pretty well -- definitely smoother than Safari or Firefox on my Pbook 667. I really miss spellcheck though!
0.8.2 - the one with the old style tabs still? (I mean centred tabs). Grab yourself a nightly for true Camino goodness: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...ightly/latest/

Also check out the Camino forums for news on Camino ExtraPrefs 2 beta:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=12

Been some good changes to Camino in the last few weeks, once it gets forms autofill properly it will be unstoppable.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
0.8.2 - the one with the old style tabs still? (I mean centred tabs).
Thanks. Nice, I like the new tabs.

Been some good changes to Camino in the last few weeks, once it gets forms autofill properly it will be unstoppable.
and friggin' spell check.
( Last edited by Mithras; Dec 7, 2004 at 12:24 AM. )

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2004, 10:54 PM

I don't like Camino anymore...

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
I don't like Camino anymore...
What has changed that makes you not like it anymore?
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 07:49 AM

I <3 Camino.

Forum Links
Forum Rules