Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > be careful with resizing partitions

be careful with resizing partitions
OreoCookie
Oct 26, 2007, 06:13 AM

I thought I'd mention that you should be careful when using that live partition resizing feature. I'm not speaking from own experience, but a friend of mine spent some hours fixing his computer. So (i) always keep a backup and (ii) take the warnings that come with live resizers (may result in data loss) seriously!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 12:47 PM

Agreed. Resizing partitions is always a bit of a crap shoot. Backup, backup, backup!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 12:52 PM

Always backup. However, having said that, I used it a lot with the beta builds and it worked flawlessly every time.
Vandelay Industries

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 12:54 PM

Yeah, it will work flawlessly nearly every time...

OreoCookie  (op)
Oct 26, 2007, 01:10 PM

I thought I'd post this before some people try it out … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 01:30 PM

So those of you who have used it, will you be using it to install leopard on your primary systems? I've been going back and forth between doing archive and install and just using live partitioning. The plan would be to split my current drive into two equal partitions, install leopard to the new one, and then transition my data over. After I'm satisfied that I have everything I need (probably a couple months later) I would delete my tiger partition. Of course I'll be backing everything up before I even start.

The only live partition tool I've used (asside from the Boot Camp beta) was Partition Magic on my PC. That program worked like a charm every time I've used it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 01:34 PM

I would not do that, to be honest. If you have really critical stuff, get an external fw and clone it, you can restore it, or boot from it if Leopard doesn't work, and use it for Time Machine when you are happy it works.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 01:48 PM

Also, the live partitioning doesn't let you do everything with partitions. Say you have partition A and partition B. Partition A is on the top half of the drive and partition B is on the bottom half as depicted in Disk Utility's partition tab. You can delete partition B and expand partition A down to fill up the empty space. However, you can not delete partition A and expand partition B up to fill the empty space.

The workaround for that scenario is to clone partition B onto partition A. Then delete partition B and expand partition A.
Vandelay Industries

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I would not do that, to be honest. If you have really critical stuff, get an external fw and clone it, you can restore it, or boot from it if Leopard doesn't work, and use it for Time Machine when you are happy it works.
That's the plan. I'm cloning my iMac and my PowerBook to a 750GB FW drive. These are home systems, so the critical data consists of photos and some of my development projects from when I was in college (which haven't changed in 5 years and I have probably 10 backups of in different places). But I figured that if I did the live partition I would then essentially have two backups (1 being the FW clone, and 2 being the original data on my original partition). It sounds like that's not going to work though, according to Art. My drive currently only has one partition.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 02:02 PM

I'd call photos critical data! A partition on your main drive is not an effective backup though. It buys you something, but not much.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 02:17 PM

You can add partitions to a single partition drive. However, they have to be added to the end/bottom of the drive. Also, you have to have free space to create a new partition, which Disk Utility does indicate in the drive diagram.
Vandelay Industries

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I'd call photos critical data! A partition on your main drive is not an effective backup though. It buys you something, but not much.
Did you not see the part where I said I was cloning to a FW drive? The desire to keep the currently installed system paritition is mainly a convienence issue. It's easier (i.e. less time consuming) to copy from a partition on an interal drive than it is to copy from an external FW drive. I never planned for the partition to be a backup that I rely upon to safeguard my data for any period of time.
( Last edited by parsec_kadets; Oct 26, 2007 at 04:18 PM. )

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 03:43 PM

No, I missed that!

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 03:49 PM

Does the partition resizing work on PPC machines, or is it still x86 only?

Forum Links
Forum Rules