Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > canon vs epson on os-x

canon vs epson on os-x
eddiecatflap
Baninated
May 4, 2004, 03:31 AM

..after waiting FOREVER for epson to get their act together on os-x s/w , i'm thinking of switching to canon prnters and scanners

..any thoughts on canon ?

..my epson printers never worked properly under X and the scanning software was classic only ! despite numerous promises from epson

..i want an A4 and an A3 printer - the i865 for office/photos and i6500 for large scale graphics , is this a good choice ??

..any good cheap canon scanners too ?

OreoCookie
May 4, 2004, 07:04 AM

Canon was one of first printer companies that offered drivers for OS X. Back in those good old 10.0.3 days when I bought my S630, and their driver support was perfect.

Same goes for 10.3. The only thing that is horribly supported are all-in-ones from any manufacturer. I think you don't even need to buy two printers in this case except if you want to do stuff in parallel. The i6500 can do A4 printouts just fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

eddiecatflap  (op)
Baninated
May 4, 2004, 12:55 PM

..i bought an i865 , the only prob. was the installer ( from canon's website ) crashed at the end , i had to quit it

..the printer works grate� tho' , very very fast , very nice output and sooooo quiet compared to that epson rustbucket

..looks purdy too!

..goodbye epson and good riddance

..i've ordered an i9950 for my sis , now that's a cracker !

Arty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 04:07 PM

I suffered with an Epson printer for a few years (skewed paper, clogged heads, banded prints and CONSTANT replacing the ink cartridge because ONE colour ran out). After spending most of a morning trying to print out a simple 17 page PPT presentation, I packed it in and bought the Canon i865.

Wish I had done it earlier. Turns itself on and off automatically, super quiet, super fast, great photos (4x6 are virtually indistinguishable from commercially printed), razor sharp text and so far, the ink carts last a looong time.

To be fair the Epson (Photo 750) produced equally good text and graphics... WHEN IT WORKED, but the i865 is better for photos and just a MUCH better overall experience.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 04:34 PM

Epson =

Canon =

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 5, 2004, 12:14 AM

If you search the peripherals forum, you will find that a very large number of people have ditched Epson for Canon in the printing arena. Not only are the printers great, the drivers work extremely well, too. I, too, have found that the ink consumption is extremely reasonable.

tooki

wreks
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 12:20 AM

I switch from epson to canon on my printer and scanner. Separate ink tanks are nice, borderless printing is nice and usb powered single cable slim scanners are nice too.

eddiecatflap  (op)
Baninated
May 5, 2004, 02:59 AM

..only prob. is i messed up the installation and had to repair permissions , the helps now unavailable, any ideas how to fix that ?

..then again , who needs help when it's SO intuitive ?

..last night i had to print out 10 colour photos , was dreading it after all the hassles i had before , to my utter amazement they came out not just perfect , but silently and at light speed

..man , this thing rocks !

..any idea on the i9950 , i've got that on order now too , was told it's the ultimate supposedly !?

OreoCookie
May 5, 2004, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
..only prob. is i messed up the installation and had to repair permissions , the helps now unavailable, any ideas how to fix that ?

..then again , who needs help when it's SO intuitive ?

..last night i had to print out 10 colour photos , was dreading it after all the hassles i had before , to my utter amazement they came out not just perfect , but silently and at light speed

..man , this thing rocks !

..any idea on the i9950 , i've got that on order now too , was told it's the ultimate supposedly !?
Well, it's a photo printer, so it's not as fast with text, but on photo paper, the results are even better than on the i865.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules