Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backup & Reformat: Need Some Advice

Backup & Reformat: Need Some Advice
hawksman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2002, 06:13 PM

I've been having a lot of problems lately with files at the root level of my hard drive. Running fsck and Micromat's Drive 10 utility hasn't seemed to help (in fact, I think the latter probably caused more problems than it fixed.) I also am unable to boot into OS 9.2.2 for some reason, even though Classic runs just fine. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope and want to reformat the drive and perform a clean install. I do have some questions though.
I had no problem upgrading hardware previously. I was running OS 10.1 on my old B&W G3 and was able to transfer everything to my FP iMac via Carbon Copy Cloner. I didn't need to do a new system install because the iMac ran fine in 10.1 (I'm now running 10.2.2.), but now I want to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS. I can back up my drive with Carbon Copy Cloner again, but then what? After installing the clean OS, do I just move my home directory back to the newly installed System? What about other files like the Applications folder and other folders? Will they retain their privileges? I'm not exactly eager flying into this blind, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Griz
Nov 14, 2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by hawksman:
I've been having a lot of problems lately with files at the root level of my hard drive. Running fsck and Micromat's Drive 10 utility hasn't seemed to help (in fact, I think the latter probably caused more problems than it fixed.) I also am unable to boot into OS 9.2.2 for some reason, even though Classic runs just fine. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope and want to reformat the drive and perform a clean install. I do have some questions though.
I had no problem upgrading hardware previously. I was running OS 10.1 on my old B&W G3 and was able to transfer everything to my FP iMac via Carbon Copy Cloner. I didn't need to do a new system install because the iMac ran fine in 10.1 (I'm now running 10.2.2.), but now I want to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS. I can back up my drive with Carbon Copy Cloner again, but then what? After installing the clean OS, do I just move my home directory back to the newly installed System? What about other files like the Applications folder and other folders? Will they retain their privileges? I'm not exactly eager flying into this blind, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I think your asking for a lot of trouble. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it) I also strongly disagree with you ie. Drive 10. There is no better utility available. Drive 10 v1.1.2 got me out of BIG trouble & recovered files I thought I had lost. I swear by it. No offense.
G4 Quicksilver 2002 800Mhz CD-RW Zip 250 15 inch LCD Apple Studio Display HPdeskjet 940c OS X 10.3.2

hawksman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Griz:

I think your asking for a lot of trouble. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it) I also strongly disagree with you ie. Drive 10. There is no better utility available. Drive 10 v1.1.2 got me out of BIG trouble & recovered files I thought I had lost. I swear by it. No offense.
No offense taken. But the fact is, my machine is broke and my intent is to fix it. I know the reports on Drive 10 have been good. Just very suspicious that many of the system problems I've encountered were almost immediately after using Drive 10.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2002, 04:16 AM

If you copy your home folder, in tact, many of your settings will be saved. Make sure you back up that and all files that aren't in your home directory.

When you reformat, set yourself up again as you did the first time but when you get logged in, remove the home directory that is there and put your old one back. You should be able to use the Finder with Get Info to change permissions to allow this. Make sure you change permissions back to the way they were when you started.

Network settings and system wide settings will have to be reset but that's not a big deal since there aren't many.

Forum Links
Forum Rules