Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > NEW 1 or 1.25 Ghz G4 or NEW PC?

NEW 1 or 1.25 Ghz G4 or NEW PC?
newyear=newmac?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 05:02 PM

Hey people, I'd love your expertise...as I sit here full of turkey and confusion over whether to buy the new 1 or 1.25 Ghz G4 by year's end or hold out for a cheaper PC.

Here's the story: I am an artist who founded and runs a nonprofit (check out the site: amearts.org) and a graphic designer who's worked for a certain big bluish corp. I do a lot of Photoshop work and nominal work in Illustrator/Quark, have done some web design and a Flash piece, but see doing some, not a lot of, Flash/web work at the home office in the future. However, I'm at my wit's end with the Power Computing clone I currently use: bought in 1994, 64mb of memory (I know...yeck), and I think it's a lousy 233Mghz. I have a lot of trouble with getting yanked offline and also opening too many apps -- as you can imagine. I want to be able to surf online while working in at least Photoshop full throttle without crashing. Before you berate me for being behind the times, try to tune in for a few more sentences....

1. I'm considering the 1 or 1.25Ghz dual G4, respectively about $2599 and $3299 with an offer to double the memory before 12/31 for 40 bucks. I will then need to upgrade my Photoshop for OSX. I understand these new G4s can switch (easily) from "classic" to OSX pretty easily, and that I can use lighter apps such as Quark/Illustrator in classic mode. Is this true? For the money, the store guy told me the 1 Ghz dual is probably fine for my needs. Any thoughts?

2. I've read all of the PC/MAC hullabaloo here and want to invest in a new G4 without second thoughts (e.g., M$'s desires to own the world...and...eek...Macromedia). It's taken me many months to get to this stage of indecision about buying a new G4...now pretty thankful I've waited as the new duals are here, but cost is a bit much.

3. Would I be "safe" for several months just upgrading the RAM in my ancient machine until I make a decision about MAC/PC?

4. Do you know anything about smalldog.com, which supposedly doesn't charge the $50 per tech support call that Apple allegedly does?

Thanks a million (or at least a few hundred) for any help.
( Last edited by newyear=newmac?; Dec 25, 2002 at 05:12 PM. )

v0id7
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 05:07 PM

dont make a decision till macworld in mid january
_______void_______

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 05:30 PM

newyear:

Some thoughts on your points:

1) I have had a Dual 867 for about 2 months. It will very easily do all that you've mentioned. The 1ghz should be excellent.

2) What did you want to know about point 2)?

3) How do you mean "safe?" Certainly it will be money wasted if you buy a new machine shortly.

4) Everything I've heard about Smalldog has been positive. In addition, I went into their building in Vermont on a recent vacation there to ask a few questions. They were very pleasant and the general impression is of a solid, well run company (their building, which is modern, is in a rural setting, absolutely gorgeous location).

But, I agree with v0id7, wait a few weeks if you can. Although the rumors seem to indicate that little or nothing new is coming on the PowerMacs soon, you never know. Apple may surprise us. In the current computer industry climate prices will almost certainly go down a bit.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 08:36 PM

I hope you do realize that the odds of getting a PC recommendation in here are little slimmer than the pope playing soccer...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 10:47 PM

hehe boo PCs
Seriously though man.. an eMac could even do what you want.
But if you want the biggest bang for your buck then wait till the new PMs are anounced then brag to all your friends... you might be able to get a low end dual 1Ghz or higher

hart
Senior User
Dec 26, 2002, 02:20 PM

I've been buying from them for a couple of years. Just got a refurb DP1000 from them a couple of months ago. They seem to know their stuff, email me back when I have a problem, have fair pricing and shipping policies, seem to be all in all a good Mac-oriented company. They say that all their employees, even in warehouse have been through apple training....what's it called...mental block here. Anyway, that sounds good to me.

My experience has been positive.

Julia

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 26, 2002, 03:01 PM

...even if they do improve the pmacs at expo time - we'll have to wait another 2-3 weeks .. and by then there'll be another rumor.

..just get what you want , when you want it.

The dp1ghz is the best all round - considering its so hard to get a customized version of the 867.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 02:28 AM

This close to MWSF, that is bad advice. Apple computers are near impossible to return, and I have bought right before an expo and regretted it big time. Sooner or later Apple will replace your computer with a cheaper, faster, better one - but to risk having them do it a week after you buy is unecessary unless you simply must buy right away.

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
...even if they do improve the pmacs at expo time - we'll have to wait another 2-3 weeks .. and by then there'll be another rumor.

..just get what you want , when you want it.

The dp1ghz is the best all round - considering its so hard to get a customized version of the 867.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 30, 2002, 08:22 AM

..ok , but the current ones will be the last powermacs that boot in 9...the jan 7th ones - if they exist WON'T.

..no matter how great the new ones - this will be a BIG limitation to many.

OreoCookie
Dec 30, 2002, 08:37 AM

A Mac will do the job for you as well as the PC. If you have worked with a Mac (clone) all the way till now, a Mac is probably what you are used to and you will be more productive on it.

For most stuff, a Dual 867 should be plenty. Put in some more RAM and you are done.

You have to add the license costs to your new computer as well (no matter if PC or Mac). How about trying InDesign, there is a publishing bundle with PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc. All that software runs on OS X, so you are ready for the future.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
..ok , but the current ones will be the last powermacs that boot in 9...the jan 7th ones - if they exist WON'T.

..no matter how great the new ones - this will be a BIG limitation to many.
Apple will sell a Dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 that boots into Mac OS 9 until July of 2003.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2002, 06:28 PM

I'm also a graphic designer. In our field you simply have to have a machine that is upgradable so that you can invest once and have a powerhouse for a number of years.

That being said:

1) Wait until MacWorld to see what Apple does

2) Buy a G4 that has the expansion and upgrade path that you need. Companies like Sonnet Technologies will make CPU upgrades, so make sure that you can add all the RAM and hard drive space that you want.

3) Make sure that this future G4 will boot into Mac OS 9.x. It may not be cost effective for you to upgrade all of your software - believe me I know how much a series of upgrades are for Photoshop and QuarkXPress. Even though Apple says many print shops are converting, the fact of the matter is is that many print shops/service bureaus and Post - production facilities ARE NOT upgrading. Especially because those that have speciallized hardware need new drivers and the cost of software may be more than they are willing to invest. Yes, you could run your apps in Classic mode, but it is ALWAYS slower than booting into mac OS 9.x and running your older applications there.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

newyear=newmac?  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2003, 08:12 PM

Hi again,

Thank you one and all for your help. I'm going to wait for Macworld and now am trying to get a Power Mac or (god forbid) a PC DONATED to my nonprofit. I've tried Apple and the retailer Microcenter before, without luck yet. If you know any contacts or ideas on a donated powerful CPU (even eMac, iMac, uMac, meMac!), please pass it on to me.

Here's some low-down on Abstraction Made Elementary (AME), the organization I founded and run. AME has helped to bring innovative and stimulating arts programming to low-income children since 1994. Website:

http://amearts.org

And my organization is also seeking board members and techies (especially those with fundraising experience). We are small but accomplished and based in Boston but open to the world! I would love to expand the digital art programs with Photoshop I've done with children and high school students.

We have collaborated with inner-city public elementary schools and museums, such as the Fuller Museum of Art, Harvard Art Museums, and the Provincetown Art Association & Museum. Together, we have brought programs to disadvantaged children that educate and excite them with the power of artistic expression. Our recent accomplishments include a 50-foot mural painted on the youth opportunity center RISE in Brockton, MA.

Over the past five years, AME has been supported by the New England Foundation for the Arts, Boston Cultural Council supported in part by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, Arts and Business Council of Greater Boston, and numerous corporations, such as IBM, Pfizer, Hewlett-Packard, and One on One Internet. AME has been featured in Newsweek and the Boston Globe.

Thanks for reading and any help in advance. Happy New Year...of course.

John
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules