Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > InDesign bitmaps my images! HELP!!!

InDesign bitmaps my images! HELP!!!
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 02:51 AM

I'm working on a book for class and I'm using InDesign 2 and Photoshop 7. I save the original images as .psd with the color profile embedded (US SWOP I think). Some show up just fine, nice and sharp, and others show up bitmapped. Can anyone help me with this? I've tried PDF, TIFF, EPS, to no avail.

This is due Friday, so any help soon would be greatly appreciated!

Helvetica Neue
Mar 13, 2003, 04:54 AM

What resolution are the images?

Is this on screen or when printing?

Right-click the images and set the highest display performance.

Does enabling or disabling color management make a difference? If you have to use color management (which I would doubt), check out these tips: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2eb5a.htm

When printing, what printer, driver etc. When printing, you might want to try disabling any 'advanced' color features on the printer/driver. I've seen that give better results colorwise.

Try the Adobe forums - full of knowledgable folk.
Always on the run...

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the prompt response. The images are all custom resolution, but very high (thousands by thousands). I scanned them in at 300 dpi and adjusting the display performance doesn't matter. As a temporary work around, I took a screenshot with the image up in PS and then cropped it. The only problem is, this downsamples my image to 72 dpi. At least it's a lot smoother. I'll look into Adobe's forums. Thanks!

Helvetica Neue
Mar 13, 2003, 02:40 PM

Actually, I think I might have sen this before, and I'm pretty convinced it has to dowith the fact that these are scanned images.

I don't know if the issue is the way the scanner/software writes header information for the files when scanning or whether Indesign misinterprets when writing its preview.

I'd try rescanning one of these trouble images with some different settings in your twain/scan software to see if that makes a difference.
Always on the run...

iT4c0
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2003, 05:57 AM

make sure your pictures are linked correctly. I had the same problem as well. I went to the link window and relink them. (I guess relink them even they link correctly. I hope it will help). It all shows the clear crispy picture in high display quality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules