Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who still thinks the 17 is too big?

Who still thinks the 17 is too big?
Ti X
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 11:53 AM

When I first got my 17 I thought, hmm it is a little large. Then I got my new IBM ThinkPad from work, and I said "Wow! That ThinkPad is enormous!" I don't have a digital camera, or I would post some pics, but believe me the IBM is 2x as thick, an inch deeper, and only about 3/4 of an inch less wide than my 17" PowerBook. Also when they are both open, the IBM is about 3 inches taller!!

It is really an eye opener having both machines sitting side by side to compare. So when you see all of the pictures comparing the 12 and 17 inch, remember that they are two completely different machines and you should really be comparing the 17" with something of similiar size outside of the Apple line-up.

(FYI) The ThinkPad is a 1.9Ghz P4, 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM, 60GB HD, 15" TFT 1024x768, ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 16MB.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 12:02 PM

I've never considered it to be too big at all; I wanted a portable desktop machine and that's precisely what I got! The weight is perfectly distributed and the screen is perfect, in my opinion. It's definitely the right size for me.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

erichen
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 12:20 PM

I got my PowerBook 17" on March 31st......I personally don't think the size is too big! But the weight of it is noticeably heavier than my PowerBook 15".........Anyone feel the same?

~Eric
http://homepage.mac.com/erichen

iHanhauser
Apr 6, 2003, 12:50 PM

I dont think my 17" incher is big at all. I love it. It is not much bigger than the 15 incher.

In fact, if you put it next to a HP, Compaq, Gateway, it is so small.

Every laptop besides macs are like carrying around Bricks. They are huge.

ihanhauser

OSXFreak
Apr 6, 2003, 12:52 PM

This is totally subjective. One man's "just right" is another man's "too big". There's really no substitute for experiencing it for yourself.
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

schmoe
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 01:23 PM

What model of ThinkPad is that? I don't suspect it is a new one:

17" PowerBook, http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html:
  • Width: 15.4"
  • Depth: 10.2"
  • Height: 1.0"
  • Weight: 6.8lb
ThinkPad T40, http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/me.nsf/US-...E/Ths6503d.pdf:
  • Width: 12.2"
  • Depth: 10.0"
  • Weight: 4.9lb

So, the ThinkPad is 3.2" shorter, same depth, and same height. And it weighs nearly 2 lb less.

beanman
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 01:29 PM

I have to agree with AssassyN. I was in the market to buy a dual processor G4 tower until the keynote. Mainly I was looking for something to last me a while and be a meaty machine. But as I am about to be leaving college and most likely heading to and fro in the pursuit of something people like to call a "career," I saw the 17" as being the perfect machine for me.

More importantly, I was back home with my parents last weekend as was convinced that I got the right machine for me, being that my dad currently owns a 15" TiBook. We were actually getting ready to head out of town for a brief trip and we had to make a quick u-turn just out of town to go grab something we had forgot. As quick as it took me to run inside and grab what we forgot, my dad grabbed his PowerBook and we were back in the car. My only other in depth experience was with a 233Mhz PowerBook G3 that my former girlfriend (used to) owns. You couldn't do that with that G3, at least not that easy.

Is it big? Hell yeah it is! Too big? Probably for some, but it's going to be just right for some one like myself.

And it's on the way to my door right now!!!!

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by iHanhauser:
*snip*
Every laptop besides macs are like carrying around Bricks. They are huge.

ihanhauser
in form AND function hey?

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 02:47 PM

17 are not too big..If people need something smaller, they have plenty of choice in the PB line...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

tritonus
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 03:15 PM

It's perfect!
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 03:23 PM

Aside from my biased opinion (it's perfect), I have had many comments on my PowerBook. First, most people say, "Wow, that screen is enormous" The next question is "How heavy is it?" So I let them pick it up and everyone says, "Wow, that is not bad at all." and then follow with some comment about how thin and sexy it is.

Yes, it is big, but I have not found it to be any worse to carry around and use than my Pismo. Before my 17" arrived, I thought I might keep my Pismo up to date so that I could travel with it. But now I have no desire to. The extra weight and size is hardly noticable to me when carrying it around, and the beautiful screen makes me never want to use my Pismo again.

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 03:47 PM

Hmm, I don't really understand the original poster's comment. Is he complaining that it is too big, or is he saying it is small?

I actually think the 17" is beyond perfect. The screen is as big as I want it to be on a laptop, yet it is extremely thin and sexy.

F

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2003, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Ti X:
Also when they are both open, the IBM is about 3 inches taller!!
The 17" is a wide screen computer, so won't any non wide screen computers be taller? It seems, for portability issues, a wide screen would be better than a tall screen, at least when traveling on an airplane!

The 17" is my first laptop, but I feel it is a great machine. It is still portable, and not all that much heavier than most PC laptops out there. Definitely not too big for me, especially as a designer who can appreciate a larger screen.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 06:22 PM

After 10 days of use I'd have to say the PB 17" is just the right size.

MacOSR
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by schmoe:

So, the ThinkPad is 3.2" shorter, same depth, and same height. And it weighs nearly 2 lb less.
Not a very accurate comparison...you should be comparing the 15" PowerBook to the ThinkPad T40 which still has a smaller screen at 14.1". Or, maybe you could compare the 12" PowerBook which is obviously smaller screen...

sonoronos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 09:52 PM

My friend and I once knew a girl, stunning, really. 6'3" thin, leggy blonde bombshell. Really sweet, intelligent (masters in Civil Engineering.) Friend thought she was too tall. I thought she was just right. Guess who got the date?

Was never sorry about that...

schmoe
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by MacOSR:
Not a very accurate comparison...you should be comparing the 15" PowerBook to the ThinkPad T40 which still has a smaller screen at 14.1". Or, maybe you could compare the 12" PowerBook which is obviously smaller screen...
Well, I was replying to the original poster who said:
When I first got my 17 I thought, hmm it is a little large. Then I got my new IBM ThinkPad from work, and I said "Wow! That ThinkPad is enormous!" I don't have a digital camera, or I would post some pics, but believe me the IBM is 2x as thick, an inch deeper, and only about 3/4 of an inch less wide than my 17" PowerBook. Also when they are both open, the IBM is about 3 inches taller!!

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by schmoe:

I think probably he was talking about the A-series which is indeed 6.8-7 pounds and 1.9 inches thick.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

mrmister
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 10:58 PM

i still think it is too big...but that's just for me. Wish I could tote something that large all over town.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 06:33 AM

I think it's just right, not too bad, not too small.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 03:44 PM

Take the new Dell Inspiron 8500's:

15.4" @ 6.9lbs.

milhous
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 03:49 PM

The 17" is definitely not for the college student that needs to carry it from class to class.
F = ma

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2003, 03:52 PM

i think its' great.. screen is beautiful. it is heavy, but that was expected....
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by MacOSR:
The T40 with the SXGA+ screen has the physically smaller screen, yet MORE screen real estate (resolution) than the 17" display.

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by milhous:
The 17" is definitely not for the college student that needs to carry it from class to class.
Please tell me of the college student who actually can *afford* a $3299 notebook? ;-)
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
Please tell me of the college student who actually can *afford* a $3299 notebook? ;-)
me
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 02:46 AM

Ah, just take notes on paper and then retype them into the portable desktop at home -- it's like leaning the info a second time and it sticks with you!

Ti X  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by mgehman:
I think probably he was talking about the A-series which is indeed 6.8-7 pounds and 1.9 inches thick.
Yes I was, the A31.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2003, 09:36 AM

Way too big.

But then again, I think the 15" is a tad big already.

bluejam
Apr 8, 2003, 10:47 AM

I went to college before laptops were available and believe me a thick-ass analog notebook filled with paper and pens was just as heavy and bulkier than a 1" thin Powerbook.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 11:54 AM

Although I don't own a 17", I had the opportunity to look at both the 15" and 17"side by side at a local computer store. To my surprise, there is really not much different in size. The 17' is only a wee bit bigger than the 15". I actually like both sizes but still like my Tibook 15" 867. Its just the right size. When the new 15" Albook comes out, I think they will sell more than the 17" being that its the midrange size. The 17" is just that added screen space for those who need it. I have a Powermac G4 Dual 867 at home hooked up to a 19" crt monitor and if I had a 17" I don't think I would be using the Powermac that much. Overall, both computers are beautiful in its own way. Hopefully these new Albooks will come out and I may just have to sell my Tibook for a nice 15" Albook.

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by bluejam:
I went to college before laptops were available and believe me a thick-ass analog notebook filled with paper and pens was just as heavy and bulkier than a 1" thin Powerbook.
exactly!
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by bluejam:
I went to college when I couldn't afford a laptop and believe me I hated carrying around thick-ass analog notebooks and textbooks.

I've now been carrying around a laptop in a briefcase, and small and light are still definitely better.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 03:40 PM

I dunno, this powerbook weighs less than my biology book did. As a college student I don't mind carrying this thing around.

Originally posted by tgrundke:
As a college student you are eligeble for the ADC discount , which brings the price down to almost affordable levels (affordable with those wonderful student loans.)

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 05:50 PM

Well, me in college, so I saved enough to get a powerbook. Sure that meant forgoing buying a desktop and sticking with my previous old computer for longer than I expected. But the bright side is I don't have to buy a desktop for years to come.

As for carrying it around from class to class...it's not that bad. Seriously it isn't, may be a bit long, but the weight isn't bad at all.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Forum Links
Forum Rules