Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Converting .m2v to an iMovie friendly format

Converting .m2v to an iMovie friendly format
ilesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2003, 07:19 PM

My wedding video was given to me as a DVD. There are three DVDs all up and I want to use iMovie to edit them so I can make a highlights package to fit onto one DVD to send to friends. Final Cut Pro is a bit too complex for me to use.

I have ripped the files off the DVDs using DVD Extractor and I have the .m2v files on my hard drive. I can use QT to combine the video and audio so this is not an issue.

My issue is in converting the video to a format that iMovie will read. iMovie will not read mpeg-2 files. I have used QT to convert the m2v to mov using the DV PAL and Sorenson 3 converters. The results are not great. The colours seem to be saturated and I cannot fix it using iMovie colour controls. With both these converters I selected the highest quality setting. There are quite a few other converters that QT has but I don't have the time to try converting a 4 Gig file to all these formats.

1. Anyone suggest a converter that gives results that will closely match the original .m2v file.

2. Any other way of converting the m2v file to an iMovie friendly format.

Thanking you.

Ilesh

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2003, 08:03 PM

a very simple solution, if you have the appropriate hardware..

connect up your DV camera to your DVD player, and record onto tape the contents of the DVD.

then just import to iMovie as usual.

it'll save you a lot of time!

-Mark

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

arclight
Forum Regular
May 31, 2003, 08:33 PM

You can use Mediapipe to convert it. I rip DVD's with OSex and then convert them with Media pipe. It's an OS X only app but it's extremely versatile in cropping, deinterlacing and resizing. Not to mention converting it into a .mov file. I linked a DVD extraction tutorial that explains how to use the application.

mediapipe Tutorial
---------------------------------------

ilesh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2003, 12:12 AM

Don't have a digital video camera unfortunately. I will give mediapipe a go. Is this better than DiVA?

Ilesh

Forum Links
Forum Rules