Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gehngis Khan needs your help!

Gehngis Khan needs your help!
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 02:35 AM

I've been playing Age of Empires II on and off four about 4 years now (PC first, now my Mac) and I just started getting into the campaigns. Thing is, the Gehngis Khan campaign is really stumping me when I have to go to China.

I start off getting the villagers and then moving them to the northern corner of the map and building a base. I have made it to the Imperial Age before the Jin start the wonder, then I focus most of my efforts on getting enough gold and food to create a bunch of cavaliers and trebuchets. Thing is, I can only manage about 10 cavaliers and two trebuchets, which are all knocked out of commission before I can make it to the wonder. Any hints? Am I going about this all wrong?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 03:32 AM

Okay, I'm assuming (from memory.. it's been ages - no pun intended ) that your building up in the northern corner is on the same island as the Jin.. that is definitely the best way to go about it - staying on the mainland makes things really really hard!

Anyway, I guess you probably just need to advance to Imperial quicker, and probably in this case, don't worry about getting trebuchets too much - wonders are pretty weak and getting more cavaliers is the better bet - then if you can, just wait until they come out of the gate and go in while it's open.. maybe get a few pikemen to counter the cavaliers they have (I think), and put up a castle near that top gate to take care of defence - get murder holes for it probably.

About 20 cavaliers should do the job fine then, after which you'll have plenty of time to build up to hit the other sides.

Oh well, that was fun - I haven't played the game at all in a long time.. only ever did on my pc, but funnily enough I've barely used that since having an iBook . In any case, I might just be feeling like playing it again soon.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 01:45 PM

Hmm, I have been building on the mainland, I think (I can ride right up to the Great Wall). Should I try building on the Engineers' island? It's closer to where the Jin are than my position at the mainland. Shouldn't be too much trouble to wipe them out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules