Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP Photosmart 7660 Review:

HP Photosmart 7660 Review:
im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 11:29 PM

First off, let me start out by saying that this is the third HP Printer I've owned and every one has worked flawlessly in Mac OS X. The quality of the unit is quite impressive and it's what first drew me to this particular model. It should match most PowerMac G5 and PowerBook setups perfectly. My thoughts:

For those looking for:
- sturdy & well built printer
- monochrome built-in display
- printing photos using only HP camera (*)
- printing photos using memory cards (*)
- borderless full page printing
- borderless 4 X 6 photo printing
- seperate print tray for 4 X 6 printing
- includes photo & colour ink (6 inks, 2 cartridges)
- photos that resist fading 2 X better than the competition (*)
- crisp laser quality text
- the ability to print high quality black & white photographs
using HP's special grey ink cartridge (*)
- easy hassle free installation
(*) = not tested by myself

The 4 X 6 photo tray is built into this printer. It rests above the standard 100 sheet paper tray so you never have to worry about swapping trays. Printing 4 X 6 photos is as simple as placing the specialty paper into this tray and pushing a lever to set your paper in the correct position for printing. Very easy! Having tested this out myself, I can tell you that the picture quality is amazing - even without photo ink! Having a seperate built in 4 X 6 printing tray will prove extremely useful and it makes a lot of sense, especially if you think you'll be printing out a lot of photos in this size.

Opening the box:
I was very impressed as I opened up the box. HP's attention to detail and care is evident here - very much like Apple.

- 3 HP 8.5 X 11 glossy photo paper
- 3 HP 4 X 6 glossy photo paper
- Informative manuals
- photo paper storage bag
- colour ink cartridge
- photo ink cartridge
- setup instructions (PC/Mac)
- printer faceplate (English & French included)
- power supply
- CD (rev. 2.3.5 - just throw this away)
- print cartridge protector

Printer Installation (10.3.5 ):
Follow every step precisely on the included setup poster except for the final step. Do not install this printer using the included CD. Instead, download the Mac OS X driver listed for this model on HP's website. As of this writing, rev 2.3.7 is a 90MB download. It's ahead of the included CD's driver, which for me, was at rev 2.3.5.

If you follow everything by the book, your installation should be problem free and fast.

Picture Quality:
Picture quality is a very subjective subject. I found the test prints flawless on the highest quality. Borderless printing really does print out borderless prints. For the price of this printer, everything looks about the way it should. The printer is still fairly new, so at this stage, I can't give a detailed analysis on this subject.

Neat Little Touches:
- The monochrome display moves on its axis to allow you to view it at several different angles. No need to look at it from above, when you can simply view it sitting down. When there is a paper jam, no ink cartridge, etc, expect that little screen to display this important information. For example, when you open up the printer lid, the display reads: "TOP COVER IS OPEN".
- When you open up the cover lid of this printer, you'll notice a small little compartment to the left. This is where you can store your spare print cartridge protector and ink cartridge.

Conclusion
Some of this review may be common knowledge, but I thought it would be nice to pull all my thoughts together and publish this for others who may be looking at printers right now. Pictures don't do this printer justice. If you own a PowerMac G5 or PowerBook, you should definitely consider this printer, as it's about as close a match you will find in the $200 and below price catagory. $199.99 CDN (US price should be much lower)

Canon:
Canon printers in this price category appeared very bulky to me in person and the buttons on the printer were all of very poor quality. They screamed cheapness! One of them even broke off when I pushed it in the store. Having individual ink tanks is a huge plus, but I'd rather keep my printer on my desk than in the closet.

HP vs Epson:
Unlike Epson printers, HP printers do not have the printer head built into the printer. This is why "Epson's clogging problem" isn't a problem at all for HP Printers.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 10:19 AM

Sounds like an HP representative to me.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
Sounds like an HP representative to me.
Is it a crime to post a positive review? To each his own.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 06:35 PM

One thing I probbably should have mentioned is that at this time, this printer does not work with AirPort Express for wireless printing.(*) When buying a printer you really need to look at what is most important to you and for me wireless printing was at the bottom of the list. I figure, when I'm printing something I will be at my printer anyways to turn it on, to load the paper, etc. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this was a feature that wasn't really that important to me.

Also, in order to use AirPort Express with your printer, your printer would have to be next to your stereo or at least have a very long usb cable. This is, if you're planning on using AirTunes...

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Aug 11, 2004 at 06:44 PM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 07:19 PM

HP's software and OSX are a bad mix.

HP's also have one of the highest cost per page when it comes to ink.
No thanks.

Downsides from what I have seen testing this printer:
Feels cheap as hell
Who the hell uses HP camera's?
The big turn that paper takes when printing curls some paper.
Expensive ink
BAD OSX DRIVERS
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Is it a crime to post a positive review? To each his own.

Noah
No its not a crime. I represented HP for three years and I know their products inside and out. I also own some of their products. Their products are OK but I wouldn't give garbage for their software drivers. Although their latest ones seem to be much better than in the past. I have also been a Canon representative and have found that their products tend to be more reliable and less expensive to use. Eighty to ninety percent of the time that I had to provide a comparison between the Canon and the HP the Canon won.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 08:35 PM

Another former HP representative here. While the quality IMO of the current photosmart lineup is fantastic, it's just not cost effective to run. In terms of ink and paper, HP is pretty expensive compared to other alternatives. While I have not had issues in terms of stability with my mac's and HP printers, I couldn't recommend them for cost effective photo printing because the cost per print; which I am glad I am a former representative.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 08:52 PM

For the record, I'm not an HP rep. Secondly, I've honestly never had any problems with HP printers or their OS X drivers in the 2 years I've used them. I can understand people still having a grudge over how bad HP's drivers were in the past, but we need to move on... In my experience, HP drivers have been great for me and I can only see them getting better from here on.

I wouldn't recommend Epsons at all. Canon's are cheaper to operate, but their printer build quality is appalling. Some of HP's cheaper printers ($99 US and below) are also cheaply constructed. However, the HP 7660 is the most well-put together and quality printer I have ever used. I examined the build quality of all the printers in the store and the HP Photosmart 7660 won hands down for the price.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 09:55 PM

For the record, I'm not an HP rep. Secondly, I've honestly never had any problems with HP printers or their OS X drivers in the 2 years I've used them. I can understand people still having a grudge over how bad HP's drivers were in the past, but we need to move on... In my experience, HP drivers have been great for me and I can only see them getting better from here on.

I wouldn't recommend Epsons at all. Canon's are cheaper to operate, but their printer build quality is appalling. Some of HP's cheaper printers ($99 US and below) are also cheaply constructed. However, the HP 7660 is the most well-put together and quality printer I have ever used. I examined the build quality of all the printers in the store and the HP Photosmart 7660 won hands down for the price.

Noah
Maybe you can explain why retailers like Fry's Electronics have so many refurbished HP printers available? While at the same time very few printers from Canon ever end up in the same circumstance. Three years ago I wouldn't have given you a plug nickel for a Canon printer. Today they represent some of the best printers out their. By the way if Canon builds such lousy printers then maybe you can explain why they build 80% of the worlds internal laser engines. This includes all of the HP line.
( Last edited by Back up 15 and punt; Aug 12, 2004 at 02:32 AM. )

songoku912
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 08:39 AM

Noah, I agree with you 100% on the build quality and driver setup. While the HP drivers have been less than stellar, I personally never had an issue. I have the dj5150 myself, love it. Great experience. I would get the wifi 5850, because I have a ton of ink for machines using the 50 series. My comment though, was based on the cost of running the machine. HP will realize how they do some things in todays market, just doesn't work anymore.

Rivak
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 10:11 AM

Wow, I've never seen a review thread turn into a flamewar so quickly.. Thanks for the review Noah. For the record I use a Canon dye-sub printer to print 4x6's and an old HP deskjet when I want to print 8.5x11's. Never had a problem with either one

mbryda
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 11:29 AM

No issues witht the build quality of both my i560 ($99 Canon) and i960 ($199 Photo). They both work superbly and have a cost per page that is cheaper than many lasers....

As far as the no remote printing - guess I'm spoiled. I leave paper in my Canons all the time. Hit print, the printer turns on and prints. Shuts off after about an hour of no printing. Works like a charm and is a great feature to have. No more leaving the printer on 24x7.

And, HP has the highest cost per page of the big 3 (Canon, Epson, HP), and that's reason alone to not use or reccomend them. But, if it works for you, that's all that matters.

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 12:14 PM

I wouldn't recommend Epsons at all. Canon's are cheaper to operate, but their printer build quality is appalling. Noah
You must be kidding. The lid of my Canon is made out of METAL. That HP is just plastic made to look like metal.

Rivak
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 12:22 PM

Which Canon do you have, out of curiosity?

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Rivak:
Which Canon do you have, out of curiosity?
i950

Much faster then the HP also. HP's are DAMN slow.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 06:50 PM

Maybe you can explain why retailers like Fry's Electronics have so many refurbished HP printers available? While at the same time very few printers from Canon ever end up in the same circumstance. Three years ago I wouldn't have given you a plug nickel for a Canon printer. Today they represent some of the best printers out their. By the way if Canon builds such lousy printers then maybe you can explain why they build 80% of the worlds internal laser engines. This includes all of the HP line.
Calm down! This isn't something to get worked up over! Lol

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 11:52 PM

noah didn't say canons are crap. he just said that the build quality wasn't very good. i agree with him on this one as i've seen canons and epsons in person and they aren't anything to right home about, in terms of their build quality. canons are the better buy if you do tonnes of photo printing though, because hp's can be expensive for ink.

i think hp's are terriffic printers and especially hp's new photosmart line. in the past i've had a few problems with older hp models, but their new models and drivers have worked the way they should. all of you need to stop whining. if you're happy with your canon, hp or epson, fine! but you dont need to defend your choice company to death.
( Last edited by Athens; Aug 13, 2004 at 01:35 AM. )

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 01:17 AM

HP does make great laser printers though. Just piss poor inkjets.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2004, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
HP does make great laser printers though. Just piss poor inkjets.
Its sometime hard to imagine why. They certainly design their laserjets but Canon builds the internal engine. As for their inkjets. Well, if my memory serves me correctly, I believe they were the inventor of the inkjet. Rumor has it that Canon will also build their new print heads. The only explanation that I can come up with is that the company has poor or lack of leadership at the top. Maybe its time for a change?

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2004, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Just piss poor inkjets.
Your hatred for HP's inkjets is evident to everyone. Give it a rest.

1) I haven't had any issues in years with HP drivers or HP printers. Others can vouch the same. (and I'm sure there will always be people in life who will gladly vouch the opposite...)
2) I don't print "tonnes of photo albums" worth of photos, so ink cost isn't as much of an issue for me.
3) This IS a solid and well constructed printer. In my oppinion and others, it is a better overall build than similarly priced Canon's.

I'm not saying an HP printer is right for everyone. For the average user, it is an excellent printer. I would hate to see others here pass on this printer or this company, based on some members ignorant and exagerated comments.
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 07:28 AM

I have the higher-up model to that. Still works. I would have got the Canon (can't recall exactly which model) but the cost to replace 5-6 ink cartridges wasn't appealing to me.

fanchee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2004, 10:03 AM

I have an HP 7960 and a Canon i9900 and love them both. My favorite thing about the HP is printing on HP's matte paper, it looks awesome! And b&w printing it excellent on the HP as well. The Canon ROCKS though.

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 12:39 PM

Your hatred for HP's inkjets is evident to everyone. Give it a rest.
Why? I cannot express valid reasons for not liking them. Are you scared about what I have to say? I don't say "HP's are poo" and leave it at that. I give my experiences with them and the reasons people might want to avoid them (they have incredibly expensive ink for one).

Forum Links
Forum Rules