Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Strongest video card for Dual G5?

Strongest video card for Dual G5?
mrogov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 01:15 AM

What is the best video card I can get right now for the Dual 2Ghz PowerMac G5?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2005, 03:19 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Apr 10, 2005, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Nvidia 6800 Ultra
nope, ATI Radeon X800 XT, unless you need two 30" displays.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2005, 08:08 AM

The ATI X800 is a little faster then the Ultra 6800 as shown by barefeats.

xlr8yourmac has a nice review of the ATI and here's the link for their video card page where you find lots of useful stuff.

For me, I prefer ATI, thier video drivers seem to be better optimized. The 2d images such as fonts seem to look better, but that just might be my imagination.

Overall for a $100 less then the ultra your getting a faster card, the only thing your sacrificing is two dvi ports. If however you have the older style display from apple with the ADC connector then the ati is definitely your choice.

Two other advantage the X800 has over the 6800 is size of the card. The 6800 blocks the pci port next to the agp port. The Ati encroaches but doesn't block and noise. I've read reports the fans on the 6800 are loud. The ati while I can hear it don't seem to be obnoxiously loud. Since I never heard the 6800 in action I can't really comment but I do throw it out there.

Mike

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Apr 10, 2005, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Overall for a $100 less then the ultra your getting a faster card, the only thing your sacrificing is two dvi ports. If however you have the older style display from apple with the ADC connector then the ati is definitely your choice.
I bought both cards and ran UT 2004, a couple star wars games, Motion and xbench. The cards performed nearly identical. The ATI is quieter, and again if you have any display other than the latest ones from apple, you need a $100 adapter just to plug in your display. So the G-Force might actually cost you $200 more for not any noticeable gain.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2005, 10:06 AM

Hi!

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
I bought both cards and ran UT 2004, a couple star wars games, Motion and xbench.
Hm, I notice an apparent discrepancy in the budgets of American and European students...

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Apr 10, 2005, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!

Hm, I notice an apparent discrepancy in the budgets of American and European students...
it's gotta be an anomaly, cause I'm broke, and an american student.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Apr 12, 2005, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by MORT A POTTY:
it's gotta be an anomaly, cause I'm broke, and an american student.
Good catch guys....I am not a student anymore. Just was when I signed up here @ Macnn.

Besides, I returned the one I didn't like.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 12:05 PM

The ATI Radeon X800XT has more software features and software support. With the ATI Radeon X800XT you get ATI's Displays Control Panel and can adjust OpenGL overrides and FSAA options. The ATI Display Control panel will also allow for rotation of the display from landscape to portrait. The overclocking utility will probably also be updated for the Radeon X800XT if it isn't yet, not that I recommend overclocking.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules