Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "Wide-screen" trackpad patent filed

"Wide-screen" trackpad patent filed
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 07:38 PM

Engadget has a post on a new wide trackpad patent. From the looks of the sketches, it's not usable in current laptop designs as even "ignore while typing" would not be a perfect solution (I could see myself resting my wrists on the pad while thinking of something to type).

My guess is that Apple is thinking of some entirely new laptop layout that would accommodate such a feature. Thoughts?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

rparke1
Banned
Mar 2, 2006, 07:41 PM

built in finger print reconition? possible built in tablet type thing to allow the use of a "pen" to draw/write with?
edit: speakers?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2006, 09:30 PM

I don't see the point.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 11:23 PM

All I can say is www.fingerworks.com. The company was bought up by an unknown company....

As a fingerworks user, I'm thrilled if this is the case.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2006, 02:48 AM

How difficult will it be to type with a design like that? I wouldn't want a trackpad that size without somekind of failsafe.

Which is something they will think about.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 09:15 AM

The built in sensors can distinguish between a palm, one finger, two fingers, five fingers etc so the palmrest will still be a palmrest until you move your fingers down on it in a specific way. There is also no need for buttons with this design since gestures provide input options such as single click, double click, rotate, cut, paste, rotate, zoom etc

Nuks
Mar 3, 2006, 09:28 AM

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 11:52 AM

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 12:09 PM

This sounds exactly like fingerworks technology. I've been using it for a year and it's amazing stuff. If it could be incorporated into an Apple laptop it would simply be amazing. Cool.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 02:48 PM

Another thing I noticed in the patent filing is that they allow for the use of the built-in iSight to watch for gestures. I could see it used for error correction or even a virtual touchpad.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyDee51
Another thing I noticed in the patent filing is that they allow for the use of the built-in iSight to watch for gestures. I could see it used for error correction or even a virtual touchpad.

Sweet!! So I can gesture OMG DON'T DO THAT!!!
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Forum Links
Forum Rules