Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro with 1 CPU? Sell the other for Cheap Mac Pro.

Mac Pro with 1 CPU? Sell the other for Cheap Mac Pro.
Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 06:49 PM

Just wondering if you can pull one of the processors and what the market value would be?
I'm looking at dropping to 2Ghz, 160HD, upping to ATI 1800 and adding AP Extreme to lower the price to ~2300 with Ed discount.

Or do we think Apple will offer a low end Mac Pro again in the near future? Single Xeon 2.0, 512, ... for $1699 ish.

I don't need all this power but want some expandability.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 07:36 PM

The MacPro wont run without both processors. The current Xeons are multi-processor only. Intel isn't releasing a (dual-core) single-processor capable version for another few months, IIRC.

Crusoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 07:40 PM

Thanks, I didn't know if the new arch. allowed it. Years ago I would have alreadly plunked down for the highend but have become more thrify and sensible in my old age.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Dzokayi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 10:29 AM

There is tons of speculation of Apple releasing a Mac, but don't expect the minimum installed memory to everdecrease. 1GB is bareley acceptable as is.

It has been a while since I did major surgery on a G5 Power Mac, and I don't recall if they would run if you pulled one processor. I want to say yes.

On the many SMP Intel-based motherboards I have used over the years, they will boot and run just fine if you remove one processor. I would imagine the Mac Pro functions this way.

As for market value, I'd hit up ebay and see what they're going for. There are lots of folks in your position; don't need all the power but want more expandability than the iMac offers.

Here's hoping for the Mac!

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2006, 11:36 AM

Cadaver you've got to be wrong about the 51xx Xeons being multiprocessor only because Dell will make a single processor-only 5150-based machine right now. That doesn't mean the Mac Pro will function with only one but it certainly isn't a limitation of the processor.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
The MacPro wont run without both processors. The current Xeons are multi-processor only. Intel isn't releasing a (dual-core) single-processor capable version for another few months, IIRC.
Nonsense. The Intel chipset docs say:

Number Processors 1-2

Crusoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2006, 12:44 PM

Well they're $347 new on pricewatch so I could probably get $250 easily on Craiglist here in Seattle.
I guess I'll wait till Paris Expo in Sept to see what they release for their Xmas lineup if anything, no huge rush.

If I do go with a Mac Pro, I'll pull it and see if it works, if it doesn't, I'll plunk it back in and eat pasta and pesto for a few weeks to compensate for being so frivolous.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2006, 01:08 PM

Downgrading to the 2.0 from the 2.66 is basically handing Apple $500. The difference in price from Intel is about $400 per chip, but Apple only gives you $300 back for downgrading the pair. I've been encouraging everyone to go with the 2.66.

In your case, depending on the resale value of the chip, you could probably get a "single" 2.66 machine for the same net price (or even a hair less) than a "single" 2.0 machine.

Crusoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2006, 02:45 PM

Good call MD! Price watch is $700 on the 2.66.

OldSkuel
Baninated
Aug 18, 2006, 06:32 PM

This was MY idea. I posted it on strangedogs, and in the small form factor mac thread. But yeah, they sell for $695 on ebay, $700 on pricewatch. I'd be more interested in selling BOTH chips, and netting a mac pro for only $1100 with no cpus. Then buy a cheaper cpu off pricewatch. Time will tell I guess.

Crusoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2006, 07:04 PM

Oooh also a good idea OlSkuel. You could get a single 1.6 to 3.0 if you wanted.

ender78
Aug 18, 2006, 09:52 PM

Be prepared that any such work will likely void your warranty.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2006, 05:59 AM

Great. So you take a $300 more expensive chipset, but then have to buy new CPUs form some dealer, sell off the old CPUs on Ebay (who will want them there if everybody's trying to sell em?) and to top it off, you voided your warranty and any chance of getting AppleCare.

That whole hassle for $500? Unless you're really on a tight budget, I think the idea sucks.

If your work is CPU-limited and you can afford it, get the 3 GHz. If not, you're better off with a cheaper model and more RAM or disk space instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules