Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Automounted NFS shares won’t show up in the Finder

Automounted NFS shares won’t show up in the Finder
moep
Senior User
Jun 9, 2009, 02:19 PM

I recently set up a OpenSolaris based ZFS NAS for myself and use NFS to export a few zvols to my Macs.

Unfortunately the network volumes never show up in the finder when using the Mac OS X Directory Utility.app to automount them. I can access them just fine by opening the mount-point with the finder (shift-cmd-g) or in the finder.

The NFS exports are all fully functional, they just won’t show up anywhere in the Finder.

I should also mention that everything works as expected when I use the mount_nfs terminal command or use finder's cmd-k.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 04:23 PM

This is undoubtably by design as in many cases the automounts hold many user folders, and you don't really want to clutter the desktop with the root mount point, but want only a single folder from within that hierarchy.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2009, 02:35 PM

The Finder only shows volumes mounted under /Volumes.

Therefore if you automount a directory elsewhere it won't show up. It's always been that way.

If you want your automounts to appear in the Finder, mount them under /Volumes. You can use symlinks to access them from other paths if you need to.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules