Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rectangle-like black Spot after Updating 4.1.8 Firmware

Rectangle-like black Spot after Updating 4.1.8 Firmware
YongHeun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 05:36 AM

I like to know if what happens to my pismo is normal. Three days ago, I upgraded OS 9.04 to 9.22 with a full OS CD-I followed Cipher's advice on the OS upgrade. After I upgraded it, I read an article on the 4.1.8 firmware upgrade for a firewire powerbook user who wanted an OS 9.1 upgrade. I downloaded the 4.18 firmware file, upgraded the firmware and restarted my pismo. Guess what? A rectangle-like black spot came up on the LCD screen for an one or two seconds. Then it dissappeared and the computer started up normally. But the problem is that this black spot comes up whenever I restart the powerbook.
Is there anyone who experienced this kind of problem? Is it normal or not?
I am afraid if this is a symptom of a serious problem.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2002, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by YongHeun:
<STRONG>I like to know if what happens to my pismo is normal. Three days ago, I upgraded OS 9.04 to 9.22 with a full OS CD-I followed Cipher's advice on the OS upgrade. After I upgraded it, I read an article on the 4.1.8 firmware upgrade for a firewire powerbook user who wanted an OS 9.1 upgrade. I downloaded the 4.18 firmware file, upgraded the firmware and restarted my pismo. Guess what? A rectangle-like black spot came up on the LCD screen for an one or two seconds. Then it dissappeared and the computer started up normally. But the problem is that this black spot comes up whenever I restart the powerbook.
Is there anyone who experienced this kind of problem? Is it normal or not?
I am afraid if this is a symptom of a serious problem.
</STRONG>
Um. Did you follow the instructions in the ReadMe included with the Firmware update TO THE LETTER?

The update isn't actually applied until *after* you restart (on desktop machines, this involves the programmers' interrupt switch - it's in the ReadMe). The installer just writes a little updater on a separate startup partition of your hard drive, which the computer can "boot" off. Usually, you'll see a small dialog-box-like window with a progress bar in it as it's updating. When it's done, I believe it restarts again normally.

It looks like you never properly applied the firmware update after it was written to the hard drive partition.

Please check the ReadMe and try again.

-spheric*

YongHeun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 01:43 PM

After the update process was finished, an meassage that the firmware was successfully updated came up.
If I made some mistake during the firmware update, such message did not appear, didn't it?
Do you know a way to delete this firmware? If I can delete it, I want to delete and re-update it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2002, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by YongHeun:
<STRONG>After the update process was finished, an meassage that the firmware was successfully updated came up.
If I made some mistake during the firmware update, such message did not appear, didn't it?</STRONG>
Indeed. I'm sorry, I can't help you on that then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules