Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Analysis: Apple's 'Spring Forward' event

Analysis: Apple's 'Spring Forward' event
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 9, 2015, 08:24 PM

Today's "Spring Forward" event in San Francisco lived up to the hype, generally, with strong performances from the Apple executive team, richer demonstrations of the Apple Watch and more importantly, the diversity of apps that will be available for it, and a somewhat-surprising return of the MacBook consumer notebook, which is likely to displace the MacBook Air in time. Apple also brought out the unexpected ResearchKit, and cut the price of the Apple TV. We asked some of our staff for their thoughts.

Apple TV

Starting with the Apple TV, the company has cut the price to just $69, but has failed to update the device to the rumored 4K-compatible revamp. Is this going to be a rocket that puts the Apple TV out front ahead of rival set-top boxes, or is it just clearing inventory for a future, more sophisticated model?

Mike Wuerthele, managing editor: This is an inventory blowout, plain and simple. No gimmicks, no free anything, just unloading the 1080p version before the fall. That said, I have been committed to the Apple TV before there was one, with a Mac mini connected to a television. At $69, the rest of the TVs in the house that don't have one connected are about to get one.

Sanjiv Sathiah, staff writer: It is a great move by Apple to lower the price of the Apple TV, but I think it could have actually gone a little further with the price cut. The technology in it has been around for a while now, without being updated. The addition of HBO Now is a real unit shifter for many people, especially with the new Game of Thrones season coinciding with the exclusive launch of HBO Now on the Apple TV.

Charles Martin, MacNN editor: I think this will kick a lot of people out of complacency -- starting with me! I had an Apple TV back in the early days when it had internal storage. Once it stopped getting updated, I sold it to a family so they could store kids movies and never got around to a replacement. At $69, and likely $59 for a refurb, I'm back in.

Mike: I would have liked to have seen 4K, but I'm not making the jump anytime soon.

Sanjiv: As for why no 4K, I think the answer is simple. Although scuttlebutt around the Apple TV set has died down in recent times, the lack of a hardware update for Apple TV screams that Apple is close to launching a TV set. The surprisingly affordable 5K Retina iMac, coupled with the ongoing no-show of an equivalent 4 or 5K equivalent monitor reinforces this, in my view. Apple will release the monitor when it is ready to release an Apple TV set that can do double duty as a 4/5K monitor and 4/5K TV.

Charles: I think you're on the right track, Sanjiv, in thinking that the "Apple HDTV set" that certain analysts have been pining for for many years now may be, in fact, a 5K monitor with all that Apple TV functionality built right into it -- and hopefully that revised TV interface Steve Jobs talked about before his death.

While 100-inch monster screens may be neat for sportsball events, I personally find myself watching less TV than ever before. A high-quality but not ginormous monitor would be of more interest to me than a mediocre set that takes up half my living room. The 5K iMac has set the stage for this. In any event, Apple is going to shift a ton of these now, as we're not all going 4K anytime soon -- and more importantly, I'm not ready to re-buy my 1080p media in 4K (yet again).

The new MacBook

Apple on Monday introduced a radically re-thought notebook/ultrabook, and then went and gave it a retro name: MacBook. It's now a super-thin, super-light consumer-level device with a dual-core Intel Core M processor, Intel HD 5300 graphics, 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD standard, and comes in iPhone colors. More importantly, it comes with only two ports: an all-purpose USB-C plug that handles charging, video out, and data transfer; and a headphone port that doubles as mic port and optical audio I/O. Did Apple move to far, too fast with the new port?

Charles: I applauded Apple the last time they did this -- getting rid of a ton of legacy ports with USB, but in that case they offered two of them. I appreciate that the one USB-C port can do it all (and is significantly faster than even USB 3.0), but I think I would have told them to put two of those ports on the MacBook as a transition, or a MagSafe and a USB-C if it could be done within the design.

As it is now, the unit only comes with a USB 3.1 Type C power cord, which means that if you want to do anything externally (wired) with it beyond USB (or more than one thing at the same time), you have to buy adapters -- either the $80 multi-purpose adapter, or the $30 individual adapters. To me, that raises the true cost for some people, though I acknowledge that AirPlay, Bluetooth 4.0 and other wireless connectivity has made this less vital than it used to be.

Mike: Would it have killed them to have two USB-C ports, or a Thunderbolt port? Apple's got a solid lock on the MagSafe connector, and I really, really hope that a transformer for the power adapter will have some of the ports that I need for day-to-day use. I don't use my MacBook without peripherals. I've always got something or other hanging off USB. One port is tragic.

Sanjiv: The new MacBook is a stunning piece of engineering, and typifies Apple's innovation. One port is classic Apple minimalism, and is (again) making a technological step change perhaps before users are there themselves.

Let's face it. The future is wireless everything, so the move to one USB-C port makes perfect sense. For some, having to use dongles at times might be something of a pain in the neck, but overall, most of us use our portable MacBooks without peripherals. The large standard onboard storage options means the lack of SD card slot is not an issue for the most part, except if you are going use your new MacBook for photos. Even then, it's not a big deal to hook up your camera via the single USB port, but leaves the question about how external hard drives with large photo libraries are going to be handled.

Charles: I was originally thinking of my backup drives, and the adapter I frequently use to connect my MacBook Pro to a projector, but yes I could replace both of these items with wireless versions -- the latter could be another reason to pick up an Apple TV! I still say they're weaseling in an additional up-to-$80 in cost for users who have traditional storage, photo import, and backup methods, and don't want to be "forced" to take everything wireless yet.

Mike: Yeah, I hate this.

Sanjiv: For new users, Apple has a lot of the photo and backup needs covered with iCloud and the new Photos app. Overall, there might be some pain points for users, but it is Apple taking us on the journey to the future of how notebooks are going to look and feel now, rather than waiting around for the inevitable. Overall though, the new MacBook is the most desirable Apple notebook since the original MacBook Air was unveiled.

Charles: It's definitely desirable -- I want a Space Gray one very badly, and I have an up-to-date MacBook Pro! It makes no sense at all! The dearth of third-party USB-C 3.1 multi-purpose adapters from anybody but Apple in the near-term may hurt sales, but more importantly I think we're seeing the last MacBook Air. It now looks bulky by comparison with this thing.

Sanjiv: The MacBook Air line will almost certainly be phased out in time, perhaps within the next two years. At the current price points for the new MacBook, Apple will need to keep the older models around for the time being. The MacBook Pro line will still be with us for the foreseeable future, simply because it still provides much more horsepower for users who need their MacBook for more powerful processing tasks. I am looking forward to trying out the updated MacBook Pro with the new Force Touch trackpad as seen on the new ultra thin MacBook. The new MacBook is ideal for users who need a notebook for everyday stuff, Office-style productivity, web surfing, other typical tasks. It's not for hardcore users.

Mike: Yeah, I'm with Sanjiv on this. The 15-inch MacBook Pro will lurch on until a redesign. The 13-inch got updates today, so I'm fairly confident that the whole line survives for a while at least. The same people who hate the new Mac mini with the slower processor will also hate the new MacBook for the same reason, but they are inconsequential to the sales.

This is Apple's new reality. One product line feeds another. It's not coincidental that they pushed "all our experience developing the iPad and iPhone" in the promotional videos -- this will help to drag the 700 million iOS faithful into OS X.

Apple Watch

The Apple Watch was formally introduced, and will range in price from $350 (for the smaller 38mm watch face -- the 42mm will be an extra $50 in all models) to $1,049 for the two "regular" models, and starting at $10,000 for the solid-gold, 18-karat Edition model (this is actually on the low end of the pricing scale for solid-gold watches). The app selection, at least, seems very robust, and the goal -- to keep your iPhone in your pocket or purse most of the time -- appears to be easy to accomplish. Will this be another hit for Apple, past the initial rush?

Mike: The iPhone is my Apple watch. I'm tethered to my computer most of the day -- I use the vibration from the iPhone to tell me, when I'm hunkered down, that there's a new email. For me, the watch is the third animal in that "The Old Lady that Swallowed a Fly" song.

Charles: I'm much more intrigued -- and have been steadily growing more so since I first heard about the Watch. I'm starting to think about it more seriously now that I've seen the incredible diversity and maturity of the apps available for it. I was right there with Tim when he practically jumped up and down over the ability to do a phone conversation (or dicatated text chat) using the Apple Watch -- I also have been waiting my whole life for this. Still waiting for my jet pack, flying car, and teleportation -- but the future I was promised as a child is finally starting to feel real.

Sanjiv: Even if the Apple Watch isn't perfect, it is by some margin, the most advanced smartwatch yet to be made. Just from the perspective of software, Apple Watch blows the competition out of the water. It has far more functionality and overall usefulness than its competitors. Whether that convinces millions of iPhone users to buy one to complement their iPhone is only something that time will reveal. It will, however, almost certainly outsell all Android Wear devices sold to date (only around 700K of these sold in total at last count) within its first couple of days on sale. By that definition, it will also make it the most successful smartwatch released to date.

Mike: The Edition model, though. Starting at Ten. Thousand. Dollars. I was hoping it wouldn't be that high, but I'm not surprised. That said, luxury watches easily push that, so its in the ballpark.v

Sanjiv: I'm with you there Mike. For me, that is just an insane amount of money to pay for a smartwatch. A Rolex at that price will last a lifetime. If Apple upgrades the Apple Watch annually, or even biannually, no one is going to hang on to one of these for any extended period of time as they would with traditional high-end watches. Selling a solid gold iPhone at that price might actually make more sense. But for me, this particular model, while gorgeous, just does not compute.

Charles: In those circles, people have been paying thousands more than that -- for watches that only tell time! They're not just status symbols -- they are meaningful jewelry pieces for those that wear them, representing class and professionalism, focus, a loved one or a reward, and much more. It's not hard to guess that tech-friendly rich people, like your Richard Bransons, probably already have one on order. The more conservative rich, however, may opt to go for even more traditional designs as kind of a techno-phobe backlash.

Given that every model runs the same apps, I'd say Apple is likely to have a hit on their hands among the more common models. I've held off getting a fitness band to see what Apple came up with -- and I like what I see in that regard. I can certainly get much of the same info cheaper, but Apple have put together a good package, and I like what the ResearchKit APIs promise for the Watch -- and the iPhone -- going forward. Dang it Apple, you're pulling me in!
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 10, 2015 at 06:59 AM. )

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2015, 03:14 AM

I really wanted the stainless model, but first it's $600 and with the stainless band, it's $1000. $400 for a stinking band? Hell why didn't they make a titanium case and band? Maybe titanium will be the Apple Watch 2.0. In any case, as bad as I want one, I'm going to have to wait.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2015, 10:12 AM

I think Apple has shown a major shift in their target audience with this watch.

I'm a long-time apple fanatic. I've bought a dozen macs in the last 20 years and still actively use 5 of them, I've owned a half dozen iPods including the rev 1 scrollywheel, I bought my first iPhone on day 1 and ended up with almost every version since, I've got 2 iPads...basically, I've got disposable income and I love to give it to Apple. I'm not ashamed of that because I'm one of those that buys Apple products because of how well they work and how they improve my life. I honestly couldn't care less about how they look or the big shiny Apple logo.

Of course I want an Apple Watch, but I'd only be willing to pay about half of what they're asking. I'm with you, jdonahoe...+$400 for the link band? We can do the math. That's $400 for a watchband that only has two functions: looking pretty and holding a watch on your wrist. The people that are going to spend $1000 on a watch aren't buying it for the function; they're buying it for the form. They've probably spent $1000 on a watch in the past and will happily do it in April because it's new and shiny and has an Apple logo on it.

I guess I'll just have to sit back and watc...errr...wait for more features and lower price. It's going to have to happen eventually. I just hope there are enough form-over-function suckers out there to keep this product from flopping miserably right out of the gate so we can actually see a rev2.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jdonahoe View Post
I really wanted the stainless model, but first it's $600 and with the stainless band, it's $1000. $400 for a stinking band? Hell why didn't they make a titanium case and band? Maybe titanium will be the Apple Watch 2.0. In any case, as bad as I want one, I'm going to have to wait.
That's pretty cheap for a band of that quality.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 10, 2015, 11:20 AM

Point the first: I am not looking at the Apple Watch, it is simply not for my workflow.

Point the second: Apple's got a few price bands. The lowest for tech weenies. The next for quality watch purchasers, and the "if you have to ask you can't afford it" is for those who don't have to ask.

The prices are carefully chosen, I think, to appeal to each market segment.

jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2015, 01:49 PM

Re: The MacBook -

Would it have killed them to include Magsafe and Thunderbolt?

The lack of Magsafe, after years of Mac laptops having it, is going to lead to some expensive repairs and loud arguments between co-workers, siblings, and spouses I think. It defies logic.

The lack of Thunderbolt is baffling. I'm sure some wise-ass will pipe up with a "that's for professionals, get the pro" BS remark. F-you. Seriously. Go play in traffic. Naked. At night. On the interstate. Who, exactly, gets to decide what connectivity is "consumer" and what connectivity is "pro"? Where is that line, exactly? Especially on a $1500 laptop. Apple used to be the company that ENCOURAGED consumers to become "prosumers" and even pros. Many did, all on their first Mac, likely a "consumer" model. Now? It's depressing that Apple seems to be actively discouraging "prosumers" by setting strange artificial limitations.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2015, 01:49 PM

My problem with the watch band is, yes it's well made, but $400 dollars is twice what a titanium replacement band for a Citizen watch costs. My problem with the price is, I've never paid full retail for a good watch. My last watch would have cost $850, but I paid less than $400 and it was titanium. I'm really surprised that Apple didn't choose titanium since it's harder and lighter than stainless.

I can afford it, I just can't explain to my wife why I should spend $1000 plus 9% tax on a toy (she knows I want to play with it).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post
Re: The MacBook -

Would it have killed them to include Magsafe and Thunderbolt?

The lack of Magsafe, after years of Mac laptops having it, is going to lead to some expensive repairs and loud arguments between co-workers, siblings, and spouses I think. It defies logic.

The lack of Thunderbolt is baffling. I'm sure some wise-ass will pipe up with a "that's for professionals, get the pro" BS remark. F-you. Seriously. Go play in traffic. Naked. At night. On the interstate. Who, exactly, gets to decide what connectivity is "consumer" and what connectivity is "pro"? Where is that line, exactly? Especially on a $1500 laptop. Apple used to be the company that ENCOURAGED consumers to become "prosumers" and even pros. Many did, all on their first Mac, likely a "consumer" model. Now? It's depressing that Apple seems to be actively discouraging "prosumers" by setting strange artificial limitations.
You're right and wrong. Apple is all about empowering consumers.
Apple also made the original iMac USB-only. They added FireWire only when DV became a consumer-level option.
They made the white unibody MacBook USB-only long before Thunderbolt was released. FireWire wasn't needed any longer for consumer-level options.

And now, they've reduced the future consumer laptop to a single port that is faster than the top-level pro Thunderbolt interface current not one year ago.

Do not be confused by the pricing: this is the "MacBook", the entry-level consumer laptop of the future.

jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2015, 11:25 PM

Shrug. All I know is what I see, and have seen, here in the real world.

The iMac DV was a return to where the iMac SHOULD have been in the first place. (again with this arbitrary separation of what connections are consumer vs pro, until iMovie gave someone inside Apple an excuse to provide consumers with a more powerful option, that should have been offered in the first damn place.)

The white unibody MacBook was a POS. The customers I have that made the mistake of buying it, hated it, every single one of them. A few never purchased another Apple product again, they were so unhappy with it. "Firewire wasn't needed by consumers"? Again, who gets to decide that? My customers, all of them in fact, would tend to disagree with you.

The lack of Thunderbolt isn't just a matter of speed, but FUNCTION. Raw speed isn't the issue, but the options and flexibility one interface offers over the other. I can see Apple seeing a reason to reduce ports, fine. But, if Apple's going to reduce the number of ports, they should offer the combination of ports that offers the most functionality possible.

Magsafe and Thunderbolt would have been that. USB-C? Not even close.

Sigh.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2015, 12:49 AM

What the hell are you guys complaining about? This is not the one and only laptop that Apple sells. Every, single complaint in this thread is completely solved by a different model of MacBook, be it Air, Pro or this here new one.

Not every, single Apple product needs to be custom-tailored to your specifications; in fact, that's why there's multiple models of laptop and desktop available to all of you.

I'm the target audience for this laptop. I don't need your ports -- you already have them on multiple other models. I have a desktop Mac. I have an iPad. I have an iPhone. I have a MacBook Air whose only port that gets used is the MagSafe.

Let me (and probably thousands upon thousands of other users) have our ultralight, ultraportable, Retina-display MacBook and shut your flapping gums, for cryin' out loud. Sorry Apple didn't include anything specifically for you at this event. I'd be willing to bet money there'll be more events.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2015, 01:13 AM

Thank you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules